Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards wheel experts ?

Options
  • 20-04-2023 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an aero rim braked wheelset that's NOT got a super wide external rim width. Does anyone here know their wheels from their eggs? I've a set of Hunts that are 27.2mm wide and zipp 404s that are 27.5mm wide. They both rub the chainstays inside under load.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoeFloyd

What frame is it? Is it the tyres rubbing or the rim itself? I’ve seen rims rub on the brakes, where the brake caliper is open to the max.

certain frames have tight clearance on the chain stays - Cannondale caad 10 being one example. But usually it’s the tyre rather than the rim.

worth trying smaller tyres (23mm)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I reckon it's the tyres. Problem is the wheel rim width. Doesn't matter what tyres you put a 27.5 mm rim, it just stretches the tyre out to 27.mm.

From googling the major wheel manufacturers it seems every wheel being manufactured now is 27mm+.

Maybe a custom build is the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Are you looking to go brand new or used?

Im not sure any brands market narrow wheels nowadays but the older Mavic Cosmic SL/SLS/Pro Carbon range are narrow.

Yes. Older zipps, corima, FFwd would be ok as well I think, in terms of overall width.

I’m a wheel builder - so I’ll see if there are any current options for narrower rims. For the last few years I’ve not gotten stock of anything under 25mm, especially in carbon. Just the way the industry has gone. Wider rims and U-shaped are supposedly more aero.

your other problem might be flex in the wheels. If you are a bigger/more powerful rider, the lower spoke count and very light hub make for quite a bit of flex in either the hunts or the zipps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Maybe Giant SLR1 are worth a look, think they are 17mm internal, 23mm external. They pop up on sale second hand quite a bit too

• Advertisement

Yeah, I could go second hand for sure. I actually have a pair of cosmic exaliths already but this is my "goodest" bike :) so I'd like a proper flash wheelset.

The frameset is a Colnago concept, which is supposed to take up to 28s but I'm more then happy to ride 25s and have a drawer full of em!

I taped up the insides of the chainstays this evening with white electrical tape and tightened up the skewers to see if was as simple as that. Went for a very short test ride. There's still little zzz zzz out of the saddle but that could be brake pad rub. I'll take a proper spin again and see what's what.

Either way though I think I'd feel more comfortable on something designed for 23-25 whether that be a second hand set or new old stock or newly built up.

On the personals I'm neither exceptionally weighty nor powerful. Bang average rider, 5 11.5 and 75 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

How about these https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-wind-40c-c17-carbon-clincher-road-wheelset-148611.html

Says the rim internal width is 17mm

It's a pain in the hole this shift to fat wheels and tyres as well as disc brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Roval CLX 40 if you can get a good set 2nd hand. V.Light ,stiff, super hubs and 23mm external width. 700×25c-28c fit my Bianchi Specilissema rim brake 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I have a set of these with GP5000 28s on. They're not for sale but you’re welcome to try them out for fit if you like.

I was looking at those rovals alright but the newer ones are 29 rim width!!! That's insane. There's a set of CL (non X) 50's on adverts and I think they're the wider rim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'll jump in here as well as I have a similar need.

Rims have bloated in the last 5 years deffo - I would also be looking for "skinny" rims for a nice Cervelo S5 with very small clearances!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

On the personals I'm neither exceptionally weighty nor powerful. Bang average rider, 5 11.5 and 75 kg

What's your normalised power in BTUs? 😀

12 furlongs per quart of kerosene. :D

@ Mojo if it's for a TT bike you could do worse than an older set of tubs for cheap as chips speed and lightness. If you punctured you could hobble back to the start line / car park on them.

Fulcrums seem to be a good call. Their modern clincher sets, though dwindling, seem to be a 24.2mm external rim. They've a speed and a wind model in various depths - 35, 40, 50, 55.

Cervelos are as tight as the proverbial Cavan man. I'm gone back to 23mm GP5000s on my R5. - Work fine too. My 23mm, rim braked, 10 speed (!) sram red, 11 year old dinosaur was good enough for a race win! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

S5 not P5 but yeah, something skinny is all I'll get under an older Cervelo sadly.

Had a look, and yeah, narrowest carbon rim from any of my suppliers is 25mm.

one exception being the BLB notorious range - 20mm wide with an internal width of 13 ish. Only 38 and 90mm in stock though - the 50 option seems to be sold out.

not sure they can ship to ROI though (I’m based in Belfast, so can get them alright, from BLBs trade setup).

probably a better bet to try and source an older generation wheelset of any of those mentioned above.

Have you a site or a shop or product range or what's the craic Joefloyd?

What's the 25mm rim like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

The older campag range are narrow. I have a set of Bora's on my Ridley noah fast which has really really tight clearance.

The Bora's and a set of older chinese wheels are the only ones that will fit without rub.

Older style Fulcrums and Campags regulary pop up on the dedicated facebook pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

@fat bloke what if anything did you conclude on this? I'm after something very similar.

• Advertisement

I returned the Zipps and got a set of Carbon Mavics which are 26mm wide. They seem to work OK, though on full honk out of the saddle they still rub. On a new narrow alternative I got nowhere really. Wheel builders I contacted can't seem to get narrow rims to build wheels with.

I'm not saying my search was exhaustive by any means, so if you find something yourself, let me know! :)

Advertisement