Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sulky Accident Waterford - Ban Sulkys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

Disgusting practice. The hooves do be pounding the roads without proper shoes. Does so much damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yes, their hooves and joints must be in bits. That gait that they have is not natural either. They must strap their legs with bands or something to force that gait. They are always on the ring road. It's a disgusting practice is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

And they say they love animals. Give me a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I would say forget about this topic, its due to the COMMUNITY that are doing this and all authorities in this country are afraid to show bawlls and say no this is wrong no matter who you are. but no, its a special protected culture and no one want to touch that bag of wasps.

end of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Actually just on a related topic, the council should be building stables on the halting site, no horses should be allowed roam free in fields that the traveller community choose. they should be made take training or courses on horse care etc if they want to keep horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

'.....they should be made take training or courses on horse care etc if they want to keep horses.'

And how will this be enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭nomoedoe

Travellers do what they want and nothing will ever be done about it,remember a few years ago a horse on a sulky got loose in ballytruckle and jumped on a car the traveller ran off and left the horse there,the horse ended up being put down due to its injuries,nothing was done then and nothing will be done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

The only way this will ever change is from within their community. We cannot change them from the outside, it has been tried for many years but there is no engagement from them. Where is Pavee Point on this very serious matter? It would be great to see them meet with the government and the council and just see what each side proposes.

It shouldn't take another animal dying or another road user being injured for this discussion to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Travelers could not care less about you, me, the animals, the government, the council or the effect their activities have on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

That sums up the problem in a very few but powerful words. One law for them one for us.

Why on earth would they care when they know well absolutely nothing will be done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Why do they even need horses!

I need a licence for my dog, I need insurance for my car.

If I purchase a horse I have to house him at stables & pay the charges!

These people are simply parasites who add absolutely nothing culturally

or economically to this country & yet they feel that they have a God given right

to infest this island with their presence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

You are sounding very like a neo-fascist with a rant like the above……very like how the Israeli's would view the Palestinians and Russians the Ukrainians….😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Also, do you think that travellers sit around and tell nice stories about us. They hate us, they despise us, they think they are better than us and they see us as nothing but things to be taken advantage of. They have zero respect for people who are not travellers, in fact they have zero respect for people who aren't members of their own family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It'd be great if Boards could organise one of those Ask Me Anything type interviews to get their perspective on all of this.

On the one hand there are many people who are deeply frustrated by the behaviour of Travellers and the lack of consistently in how laws are applied.

On the other hand, Travellers don't seem to feel part of society. They in many cases have very tough lives and encounter plenty of hostility. Some of that is due to their own actions, some of that is due to prejudice and it's a viscous cycle.

If we've learned anything from history it's that minority groups will just close ranks in that situation and do their own thing.

At the moment there's a lot of talk about a united Ireland and the types of compromises that might be required to make that that possible.

We might need to start approaching the discussion with Travellers in the same way or else it's very hard to see any progress happening.

This is how the white population of South Africa viewed (some probably still view) the black/native population…….and Irish people are/were abhorred but can still ‘spew bile’ about a group in their own country with ease and can’t see any parallel/irony in it..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Israelis dont have such views. I wont say never but nearly never. Also, please learn what the word fascism means. The original fascists in Italy were not at all fixated on race.

Is there anyone here, a white Irish who has experience of living in South Africa, Ukraine,

Russia, Israel or Palestine? I personally have met quite a few white South Africans who have

left the country for their own safety. Majority now living in Cork. 60 people are murdered daily

In SA. No need to clarify the murder rate in the other countries that I have named & I'm being

labelled a fascist! I hope that your children do not come home with any of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What about Northern Ireland where people were treated differently based upon their religious background?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

At least three horses killed at Aintree as you wrote this - including the horse Hill Sixteen which broke it's neck at the first fence in Grand National. All so many people, including us, can have a punt on them. First maybe fix this hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

Would you live next to a halting site, yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Good. If it ever happens I wish you the best when they make your life absolutely hell on earth which they will. And with no consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

It's time we banned the Grand National in its current form. Fancy a punt? - there's always the Cheltenham Festival, St Leger, Epsom Derby, or Royal Ascot. Oh! I forgot, the Grand National is run at Aintree, in Merseyside, and we can't upset the pikey Scousers.

Take away every horse from them!

They have no business owning one nor do they have a place to keep one except on council property.

The council are culpable in allowing this to continue! You can't keep certain breeds of dog in council estates so why should you allow horses to be kept on council property when these events occur & they are not infrequent incidents!

you have or are living beside a halting site I take it….? If so Can you elaborate on the ‘hell on earth’ description

• Registered Users Posts: 16,146 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's their culture boss.

Funny that it's settled peoples culture to buy certain breeds and unless a bit of heat is brought down no one bothers with them. Heaps of dog about but strange that there are so few licences issued. And it's the culture to buy designer dogs from puppy farms for the Instagram or because we were a bit lonely during covid, but as the puppy farm abuse is hidden away and not on the news that makes it alright, the animal shelters have to pick up the pieces when the dog doesnt suit your lifestyle or is poorly socialized. Some self styled animal lovers make me laugh.

In so much as I abhor what travellers do, maybe we should look at our own 'culture' also.

Yes, I completely agree with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I could be wrong but I recall an AMA with a traveller on boards years ago. My recollection is that it was a young traveller woman and, after 1 or 2 pages of posts, she stopped replying. Does anyone else remember this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement