Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Can anyone confirm the warranty period of a zappi, I think it's 3 years. Our unit is on the blink today and was installed in Nov 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

thanks , yep just got the email back saying its out of warranty. I didn't realise you could extend the warranty for an additional 2 years so I may get someone local to have a look at it for me. I thought it would last longer with the price of it but hey thats life....

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

• Advertisement

Not sure, just saying EV disconnected, no power to car & the Z light isn't illuminated but LCD screen fully functional. I have an electrician who fits them calling on Saturday morning so i'll know more then.

Is it tethered ? Hopefully just a problem with the lead if it is tethered.

If its not tethered I'd try another lead if possible.

Look into the plugtop and see if anything looks off (melted etc)

I had the tethered cable replaced last year under warranty, can't see anything out of place or melted. My energi have said they'll send out an engineer to assess it but I found a local sparks who also fits zappi charger so hopefully know more when he has a look on Saturday

It’s likely damage to the pilot wire in the cable. Mine is like this and if I wiggle it it will eventually register. I’m ordering a replacement next week.

When I reverse in it’s a stretch to get the cable in so I assume there has been some stress put on the cable. I know anecdotally that wrapping the cable around the unit is suspected to cause it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

We've an issue where the Zappi constantly imports around 100W when in Eco Plus mode when there's plenty of solar power being generated, properly exposed during the good weather today. Has anyone seen this and managed to get this to zero? No battery in the system, above the minimum charge level all day, and I've never gone at the minimum export song so I pressume this is 0. Myenergi suggest setting this to some low non zero value when there's issues draining a home battery, might that also work here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I assume you have the ECO + “slider” set to 100%, first port of call to check

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Has anybody replaced a type 1 tethered Zappi V.1 cable with a type 2? Wondering would it be easier to get an adapter...

Yes, but that shouldn't make a difference when the amount of excess solar is greater than the minimum charge power right? 1.2kW for us normally (1.4kW in the literature). The MGL is a percentage related to that rather than an overall minimum, which is slightly misleading IMO.

It’s a bit harder than changing a plug but not massively so. If you are any way handy you’ll be grand. Take photos before you start and double check everything.

I just ordered a 10 meter cable from here. Even paying vat on import it should still be >€200 I’ll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/type-2-cables/products/type-2-tethered-cable-16-32amp-3-6-7-2kw-j1772-5-metre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Had an interesting Sunday morning, neighbours dog/horse chased a bird and got caught in my Zappi's tethered lead ripping it from my Model 3 and as I had a loop around the charger it also ripped it from the wall.

Small bit of damage to the rear light and charge port.

Car is only 5 weeks old ffs.

Anyway my issue is that I'm struggling to get a replacement cable from Myenergi. I have contacted electrical suppliers, none have them. They've contacted Myenergi but don't even have a price back from them yet. I also contacted them but radio silence so far.

Using the 10 amp cable for the moment.

☀️

I contacted them last year using their web form and got a reply in the same day. This was their response:

We do replacement tethered cables for zappi version 1 with type 2 cables, they come in either 5 metres or 8 metres in length.

5m - £139.34 excluding VAT and postage

8m - £170.81 excluding VAT and postage

——————-

if you’re interested, I’m replacing my type 2 as there is damage to the pilot wire in the cable. Type 2 plug is likely ok (and is genuine Zappi). If you can replace it you’re welcome to have it. Might keep you going for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Few issues there, looks like you're having some signal problems. Now some of that may be the myenergi server being it's usual dodgy self but if the zappi is having communication issues with a harvi, hub, or other local myenergi device they can do strange things. I had this with an eddi that had a bad RF signal to the other devices.

Other thing I'd suggest even despite of no battery, add an export margin of 100W. See if that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

how'd the car fare? i'd be furious if that happened. Honestly, I'd say just get the whole thing replaced - it sounds like the most straightforward method.

Got a stainless steel post with a 6mm backing plate made for mounting the Zappi on a few years ago, got the hub this year and in hindsight solid steel isn't the best thing for passing signals through :D

Going to have to do some rewiring to move the hub to sort it long term.

They're the only myenergi devices but I'll definitely try the export margin next time I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Finally got resolution to issue of Zappi ALWAYS pulling from the grid in Eco+ mode.

Solar PV installer installed an Eddi first. I subsequently went with a zappi as I liked the ecosystem, and thought it would be good to utilize excess KW's that would otherwise be fed back to the grid. Second installer (different company too) installed the zappi. Had no issues charging, but everything coming from the grid.

Emailed zappi installer and explained issue, and they told me to contact myenergi for support. Later spoke to 3rd party and described the issue to them as I felt the myenergi support were wrong in their summation of the "fault" and were very slow to get back to any emails I sent.

myenergi said that I should get in touch with the Eddi installer and they should come to sort out the issue. I felt that this was wrong, because there was no issue with the Eddi, and that it was the Zappi that needed to be looked at, and that the installer should sort.

Third party later confirmed that I was right. Their fix was to correct CT placements and sort out the CT configuration. This should have been done by the installer of the last device - along with setting up a harvi.

Delighted to say that when in Eco+ mode, the initial draw is from the grid (maybe 100-200w) and then the remained comes from excess KW's.

Hope this helps. I'll definitely be getting back to the zappi installer and myenergi support and let them know the solution to fixing their issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Thank you. I am having the exact same issues as you. Had Zappi installed after Solar and always draws from grid in eco+ mode. I was told by the installer that i didn’t need an Eddi after initially telling me I did (but they couldn’t source one). Think I need to get back on to the Zappi installers.

You have to remember two things when you have a Zappi and an Eddi

1. One of the devices must be set as the Master

2. Any Harvi's MUST be linked to the Master

In many cases, the second device becomes the new Master taking over from the original, and so a Harvi must be un-linked from the original device and re-linked to the New Master

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Was there no damage done to the pin in the car's charge port that locks the cable in place when charging?

I'd say the Zappi itself isn't damaged, just pulled out the bolts/rawl plugs from the wall, there's some good strain relief on that cable, but worth making sure there's no cracks in the case, even a microcrack could let water in.

There's a replacement cable you could buy which has the button on it for opening the tesla charge door, so you might want to get one of those, see:

Thanks. I don’t use my Eddi and it’s turned off most of the time but i have the zappi set to master on the myenergi app - is this what you mean?

re: Harvi. Not sure I have one. Didn’t get one when Zappi was installed - should I have one when panels, battery and Eddi installed? Thanks

No - the Master is set on the Device itself !!!

A Harvi is used to wirelessly connect a CT clamp to the Master device, when hardwiring of a CT clamp is not an option

By device do u mean the Zappi, not the Eddi. Not great with these things 🤣thanks.

Device is an Eddi or Zappi

Looks like the installer drilled the holes for the plugs too big.

No way a dog could pull one properly installed screw out of a block wall never mind 4, even with some leverage.

Is there an isolater fitted ?

So I just set as master on the device I want the master to be - Zappi in my case . Thanks

• Advertisement

If they have a teenage son, that's the likely culprit - leggin it past and tripped

Advertisement