Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

The incident where he shot at his uncles house though was before he was a councillor and it was known by SF before they ran him as a candidate.

Its obvious now that he was up to his neck with the provos, especially his friendship with Gerry McCabes killer, that can't have gone unnoticed by SF and yet they ignored it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’d have to say there is line drawn for me between 21 century gangland drug dealing and murder, and the rising that happened last century. I couldn’t compare them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

From talking to people that voted for sf last time, it would appear there was a lot of protest votes went their way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭straight

SF are the trump of Irish politics. He said he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and they would still vote for him.

Same for SF, beat someone to death in a shed, break absolutely every bone in his body but tell someone you know the secret to making them rich and they will vote for you out of greed and stupidity.

I see this doing the rounds, another argument in favour of a new political party imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

They were talking about the curlew on morning Ireland this morning. I’m not sure if it was Aine Lawlor or Rachel English asked the question “is it because of drainage of farmland that the curlew has all but disappeared?”

I’m pretty certain until all this rubbish talk of rewetting lately, she wouldn’t have asked such a stupid question. Just goes to show there’s a big difference between intelligence and education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Is it all but written in the sand that sf are going to lead the next government? Without any coalition with ff or fg? Imagine either fg or ff not being government but also not being the main opposition party either.

You could be right but there’s a saying, “a week is a long time in politics”

Remember how Martin McGuinness was ambushed before the presidential election. SF have so many skeletons in the closet, I can’t see how they are going to be able to keep all under wraps.

Post edited by White Clover on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Was the false imprisonment, torture and firing on his uncle's house before or after his time with the party. Hard to believe they knew nothing about him with the company he was keeping on both sides of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Its the truth... bringing in an untested party based on a protest vote is obscenely dangerous for us all, you can be sure as property and land owners it will be worse for us, money for the "cant work, won't work" brigade will have to be taken from someone..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Biggest issue will be borrowing on international money markets ff/fg are seen as a safe pair of hands, if Sein Fein get in that goodwill evaporates and borrowing costs shoot up over night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ohhh, diddnt see that coming... Its stuff like this that needs to be take into account

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Unfortunately the "can't work, won't work" brigade will not even consider that when it comes to election time. IMO the other worse scenario would be SF coalescing with the Greens which is another possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Base price cant see the Greens in any coalition after the next election as there wouldn't any elected, there will also be no PBP TDs and and I would say Labour TDs will be few on the ground too. Support from all three of these will go to Sinn Fein. Independents will see a big increase in numbers after the next election. Then it will depend on how much FF & FG loose to Sinn Fein to see how the next government is made up. I would guess Sinn Fein with FF & support from Aontu (they will have 4 -5 seats next election) or a few Independents. It will be interesting to see how it goes, I would guess it will take longer to form the next government than it did to form the last one..

I saw an opinion poll somewhere in the last week, it was something like

SF 62 seats

FG 41

FF 29

LAB 2

SOC Dems 6

Greens 0

Can't remember what independents and others were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well there's one of Gerry Hutch's insiders in An Garda Siochana exposed.

They never even tried to hide it. They must have their money and retirement made. Some country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Which Party hasn't?? FFg have plenty as exposed by the journalists I mentioned earlier in terms of dodgy dealings in the planning process etc.. Interesting how many here want FFG to retain power indefinitely. Suggests any "Farmers" party will just row in with the status quo which doesn't seem a very popular approach with the rest of the electorate atm....

Politicians from FFG who were involve in the likes of the Ballyseedy massacre during the civil war were in government in this state up until the 60's. SF r far from perfect but saying they should never be in government due to issues associated with past conflicts ignores the reality of politics threw-out history and around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Would think they should never be in government under mary, a tough listen in opposition, wouldn't want to imagine in a taoiseach or tanaiste role. Oul populist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'm not on about past conflicts though. This is in the last 10 years, a councillor who has shot at his uncles house, had close links with organised crime and dissident republicans.

Mary Lou was training with this scumbag in one of Hutches gyms, it's not as though we learned this week that Hutch is involved in organised crime.

You can't pass this off as some long lost conflict and comparing it to the civil war is just whataboutery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Sinn Fein campaigned for & celebrated the release of Gerry McCabes killers.

However a hetoric seems to exist that its Dan Breen they are justifying

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

its your choice to ignore lessons from History and make some strained association with organized crime via the use of a random gym. Compared to the scandals concerning FFG over the years that blighted whole generations in terms of planning, economic mismanagement during the last recession, AGS corruption, illegal nursing home fees and the current cost of living crisis etc., its pretty small beer....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Dont vote for SF because they’ll be worse than FF/FG, sweet Jesus. Is it any wonder FF/FG can lord it over the electorate, they know then can piss on the backs of people and tell them it’s raining and it’ll be believed. Youve two Taoiseachs who were elected on the 5th and 6th count and they know full well if they read this thread their seats are safe forever. I’ve always voted but from now on it’ll be one vote to anybody not associated with FF/FG, SF, Labour, SD or the greens. Proportional representation voting is off my agenda. One vote and no more 2,3 4 or 5 along with it.

I see you have a total understanding of the PR system like the average SF and FF supporter.

One of the Taoiseach's you mentioned was Garrett Fitzgerald who carried out one of the greatest piece of vote management in the history of PR.

Back in the eighties he got his party canvasers to got to FG supporters to redirect a large portion of his own 1st preference to the two FG candidate's running in a four seater with him.

After the first count the FF candidate topped the pole by a quota and a half. GF was sitting the lowest of the three FG candidate's but collected 2nd and 3rd preferences as the surplus was distributed and candidate's lower candidate's eliminated. He got above the FF candidate's running mate.

Problem with a large cohort is there ego. FF have failed to manage this and to maximize there vote potential.

On SF there is a number of reasons I would not vote form them. I am of the age where I saw them murder and maim people both North and South of the border. They still are planning to do away with the special criminal court which provided and still provide a bastion against organized crime and terrorism.

As well there economic plans are plain ludicrous. If you watch there antics in the Northern Assembly it's not exactly a great advertisment for what they will do here in the Daily.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Roll it back there horse. Get up to speed both Taoiseachs I mentioned are Martin and varadkar. Read my post again it’s the PR that’s gets these snake oil salesmen re-elected every time. When they have such well educated voters like yourself they’ll never see a poor day. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different result. Anytime a politician is challenged about any fcuk up they blame anyone buts themselves or the party. No accountability at all and I’ll still get voted back in. Do you want a Fg/FF led government from now until doomsday ? Things will never change unless you vote a bit differently, PR gets these cretins elected I’m merely saying I’m giving a no 1 on the ballot and nothing else.

Exactly a No1 and nothing else fair play you could give a thesis on the PR system I am sure.

You never mentioned specific Taoiseach's. FG would have a history of vote management so there is nothing to see in Varadkar not topping the poll.

As I explained to you of my and our generation dislike of SF there is an excellent article in today's Indo regarding Dowdall's time in SF and there lack of investigation into him. They are the same bunch of amoral f@@kers with links to criminality.

I know this is behind a pay wall but you find a way to read it if you want to

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

We a need to have no fear of Sinn Fein getting power as it it has proven in more recent decades to be the way to call the bluff of populist parties who are marvellous in opposition shouting about all the wrongs but after a term are wiped out in subsequent elections. It will be turbulence rather than Armageddon.

The point that the foundation of FF had some similarities, but the main difference is they without the scumminess.

Yes They were engaged in relentless criminality against the state, in parts of the country relentless terrorism against “Anglo irish” (who had in the main voted for independence but because this meant partition they got the brunt and blame of the situation)

When the guns were put away they took power for the majority of the first decades until they died of old age (but nepotism ensued of course) and they did make a hash of it. Looking for brownies off the Vatican and biting off our nose to sore our face in terms of logical economic engagement with our former colonists which ensued mass immigration and a fcked up regressed society that only began to be shaked off in our time.

Sinn Fein won’t have the seats for too long.

Advertisement