Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

If you actually post a photo of Eamonn Ryan on a bicycle, i'm pretty sure you can invoke a full on rage head-explosion.

Almost right. I think for the full head explosion you'd need ER on a bike with no helmet. Maybe put him on the main carriageway beside a glass and root strewn "cycle track" to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I would have thought that David Quinn would be a fan of large organisations assaulting people, but maybe he just likes it when it's women and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I bet the guy on the guy on the bike just asked your man to move out of the cycle lane. This is why people don't really use bells in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod note - we haven't got an f'ing clue what happened there, so no speculating please on what is clearly something criminal occurring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That clip is quite sickening indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭micar

It's awful stuff.

Have a look at his twitter feed.....he posted a group of people beating the crap of someone in a shopping center.

It's not for the faint hearted .....be warned. ....one particular nasty part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I can understand it in a way, but apart from that guy walking nobody stopped to not necessarily help, but just standing by the guy would have been enough to stop that ****. There was a couple of vans and a taxi so weren't all people driving their kids around.

I'm sorry I watched that now.

With little additional variables that one incident could so easily have been murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’m really surprised this hasn’t gotten serious press coverage. I suspect that if someone was dragged out of their car and bottled, it would go down very differently in the press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Paddigol

God bless Twitter. I'll record something bad happening cos it'll get loads of hits on my handle, and I'll tweet about how crap the world is, but I'm sure as f**k not going to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

You have a right to criticise the guy for not intervening. However, how many would honestly intervene when there is a possibility of getting stabbed by some lunatic scumbag?

At least he managed to get some clear footage of the attackers' face. Hopefully, that will lead to him being caught and locked up in prison where he belongs

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

What is a normal person going to do to intervene where there is a person armed with a knife AND is using it?

Without a baseball/hurley AND the skill/temperament to use it safely in combat any passerby in intervening is really putting himself in harm's way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭micar

The guy running in from the right and jumping on the persons head is quite sickening.

Isn't it. One slip and that's brain damage or death. Wasn't a light lad either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder how successful this will be - €20 a week is obviously not bad on the face of it, but you've obviously to commit to storage etc.

as a long term option, though, it's the equivalent of just over a grand a year, which is steep considering after the year, you don't own a bike.

A good piece on the radio today

Marie Donnelly, Chairperson of the Climate Change Advisory Council has said that car owners have a sense of 'entitlement' and need to be more considerate of cyclists and pedestrians. Brian Caulfield, Professor of Transport at the School of Engineering in Trinity College and Martina Callanan of Galway Cycling joined The Last Word to discuss

I heard that alright. It was a decent piece and devoid of the usual drivel that passes for "debate" on drivetime radio (I'd have expected them to have a hard pressed taxi driver whinging about red light jumping and "road tax" for "balance" in the normal scheme of things). Interesting they both agreed that the choice of language in "entitlement" was a bit unfortunate, as while there are few on here that would disagree with the sentiment. it runs the risk of being inflamatory and getting backs up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,700 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

They still had to read out the obligatory road tax text. Quite ironic as it illustrated the point of Marie Donnelly's original comments quite succinctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

A link to the segment on Spotify, the link in the tweet takes me to the download page for the goloud app.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Would it have got the coverage without the "entitlement" comment though?

Fair point.

Listening to the Newstalk drivetime show and they're talking about allowing 16 year olds behind the wheel, and to make matters worse, it's a proposal from the EU - who really should know better. Jaysus wept, we're not even capable of teaching mature adults to drive a car with any sense of anything other than passing an inadequate one-off test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

All employees who cycle to work will soon be entitled to a bicycle compensation of €0.27 per kilometre of their commute from 1 May 2023, following an agreement between trade unions and employer organisations in the National Labour Council (NAR).

To a maximum of 40km per day tax free. Anything over this is taxable compensation.

Amazing incentive! I find it mad that we happily subsidise public transport, and provide allowances for car mileage etc yet don't try to incentivise active travel more, more carrot to shift travel mode!

tbf, we provide allowances for car mileage - but not for commuting, which the above scheme is about.

'paying' people to commute is new; i'd not heard of it before (bar as you mention, subsidised public transport).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Paddigol

How would they verify it? Adopt the "if it's not on Strava..." rule?

I'd stand to top up my earnings by a cooooool €65 (or if I was a bit less lazy, €108) a week... that'd be nice!

should be easy enough - take the start and end point, allow google maps to plot a route for cycling and add 10% or 20% to the distance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume each employee would have to provide a distance (to their payroll dept.) between home and the office and it would be calculated on this basis.

As for your €65, the distance per day that is tax free is 40km - anything over that is taxable so you would be paying tax on the tenner between €55 (40km * 5 days * €0.27) and €65.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

This. You give an address, and the distance from there to your workplace is calculated. You wouldn't be able to take the long way home, and claim extra mileage.

If I'm sent on a training day (as a teacher), I'm given a mileage allowance, but it's based on the shortest distance to the venue from either my home, or place of work. I don't get to decide which one is my starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Sure it would probably be easily implemented like the WFH allowances. I've worked under different variations on WFH allowances.

1. Company paid the allowance based on working days as part of payroll. (in this case if company assumes you cycle 20...40...60...80...100% of time each week for the shortest distance between work and home - plus/minus it's probably about right)

2. I tell HR total days I worked (or in this case cycled) to work, they give me a letter stating same to provide revenue to claim end of year.

I don't think it'd need to be overly beaurocratic to work similar, or be perfectly exact to the cent. It'd need a bit of trust, company/individual confirm expected distance straight line (to avoid sticking a 100km training route in on the way home) , and then individual is honest about days commuted by bike.

Will most people follow the rules, probably, will some pull the p, probably. Could the occasional spot check highlight abuse, possibly. No worse than the BTW scheme really, and Revenue have no interest micromanaging that with the net gain of its uptake.

Advertisement