Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Sunak looks incredibly weak on this, he should have sacked Raab as soon as he had the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hahaha

Good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well he got to be chancellor by being a door mat so it's no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just reading his resignation letter

What a nasty piece of work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Weird chap. Father is a Czech refugee and his own background is human rights law. On paper, he should be one of the better ones but clearly, the opposite is true. Sunak's meritocratic and professional image just becomes ever more unbelievable.

I'm never going to forget his contempt for Britain's allies in Afghanistan, perfectly evinced by his sunning himself on a beach while they fell to the Taliban.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I knew a few people who done international studies in SOAS and they all said that the class would have a small few very right wing, pro colonial xenophobes. I always felt they were there to play the long game and rack up some nice looking degrees for the political career.

Cant see Raab caring enough about anyone else to care about human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Daily Mail is describing his accusers as "snowflakes". That newspaper has really descended into the sewer.....not even attempting to be neutral or objective when discussing a matter as serious as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The report on Raab can be summarised as follows: "He is a pr*ck."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭political analyst

Labour has been unwilling to describe the Tories' policy on deterring illegal migration across the English Channel as immoral due to a desire to regain the Red Wall constituencies in the north of England in the next general election. But the chances of large numbers of cross-channel migrants being moved all the way up north is very slim. So why would immigration register as a hot topic in the north?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Migrants get housed all over the country. When we were in the EU, there were European migrants in most of the UK. The north of England is more diverse than people think. And, of course, there's the media blitzkrieg to detract from declining living standards, inequality, corruption and so on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭political analyst

The difference is that those European migrants entered the UK legally. It's probably only a fraction of the number of cross-Channel illegal immigrants that is sent as far as Manchester or Newcastle or Middlesborough - so most residents of that region wouldn't even notice that.

The British National Party (BNP) was popular in the north of England, especially in Lancashire and Yorkshire. I'm afraid our good old friends "racism" and "bigotry" would be a key element in the Red Wall phenomenon.

Refugees is the word you are looking for there.

Funny enough "fear if immigrants" exists more in the places that seem least likely to experience it.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No different than anywhere else, e.g., Ireland, USA. Always easier to build castles in the air than on the ground.

Usually migrants don't even want to move to deprived or neglected places. But if you're on the scrapheap and have zero prospects in life, I guess you need scapegoats to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's always been the region that was most opposed to neo liberalism, the unfettered free market.

Why would you expect them to have any other take?

Until all the Corbyn supporters and sneaking regarders of Anti Semitism, the momentum type trash heads are out of Labour, it will not be a credible party or one that deserves electoral success.

She threw in a bit of anti Irish, anti traveller stuff as well, not for the first or last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

On her point, ridiculous thing to write. Not just an off the cuff remark about the hierarchy of racism, to actually sit there, consider her words in a letter, then click send, very, very silly.

Don't really think the party could do much else in the short term. Would they expel her? Who knows, but she's another MP that would stroll into parliament if she stood in her constituency as an independent.

On your point, I don't really agree, unless you don't think Blair wasn't credible. He had a pretty broad church of a shadow front bench, then front bench in very senior positions and had 3 election victories against far more credible opposition.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Do you apply the same criteria to the other parties in the UK? Are the Conservatives 'a credible party or one that deserves electoral success'? Or perhaps the crass and vile things which Tory backbenchers come out with are different in some way?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Suspect quite a lot of Labour members will Starmer's job for him when they campaign for Corbyn and get themselves expelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think most who would have already left or been expelled. Presumably though they can all come back in a couple of years like Mandleson, Campbell etc. etc. who campaigned against Labour then rejoined.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

The Tories deserve what they got in Brighton and a lot more.

If you are anti Tory then your first priority should be to get Abbott and her Jew baiting out, Labour has no future if the likes of Corbyn, Abbott and their fans are left any where near it.

She should be followed up on this, does she accepts the Holocaust happened, does she accept its scale and does she accept it was wrong. Make her squirm under the light and truth, the best disinfectant.

I couldn't see her answer those questions honestly, to give her some credit , she is consistent in her beliefs. She wasn't just playing tough for the local party activists, its sincerely held beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Breathtaking stupidity from Diane Abbot but not surprising.

Starmer needs to rid Labour of these amateur stupid racist politicians.

On the hierarchy of racism the Guardian and others both in the media and here are also guilty for making this an antisemitism+ issue. No one leading with the headline that she said something anti Irish or anti gypsy.

The whole can't be racist to the Irish is something I experienced from all sides of the political divide in England sadly.

For a women who talks about racism in England, she has been an MP for 36 years and has been elected and re elected 9 times by my count. That doesn't seem so bad.

She's perpetuating the black victim complex that they are the only ones victimised by racism and their story is the worst and is the only one worth talking about.

Many black people are disgusted with this ongoing victim complex people like Diane Abbot want to perpetuate.

That first paragraph is absolutely idiotic.

Up there with the "a shure there's no racism in America didn't they elect that Obama lad"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭rock22

@Danzy "She should be followed up on this, does she accepts the Holocaust happened, does she accept its scale and does she accept it was wrong. Make her squirm under the light and truth, the best disinfectant."

Did you read her letter?

As a Irish person, I have to agree with every word she says. Jewish and Irish people are not subject to the same prejudice continuously as black people were and are still. Jewish and Irish people were not made ride at the back of the bus. Or enslaved. Which is all she said.

Whether se was right to say it or not is a different matter.

Black people were made sit at the back of a bus in England ?

Your version of racism is just whatever happened in America. The American perspective.

• Advertisement

Diane Abbot and the like feed off division with cries of racism. The irony is that she has been quite successful in her political career. And has made a very wealthy living from it. I recall the revelation that she sent her son to private schools in London, away from the rif raf.

People like her offer nothing to their constituents and have no achievements.

Her bigoted comments on Jews, Irish and Travellers might finally put her political career out of its long misery.

Advertisement