Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭RoTelly

McRedmond has declared he is not interested in the position. Thank god.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Bakhurst is Back, former Deputy DG and MD of News at RTÉ, is going make RTÉ hurt, but not really he passes go and collects a 50,000 moving fee, prob some flights home, a nice new house in the leafy subburbs and all that jazz.

______

Yesterday

He got what he wanted in the end, 7 years ago he threw his toys out of the pram and quit the organisation when he didn't get the job. Now it's his and a seven year term will bring him up to pension age.

Let's hope he doesn't get the 2 year extension.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Karppi

I think the usual was 5 + 2 if approved, so I guess he might have had the max in this contract.

• Advertisement

I think they have to submit it to the Government of the day.

Or perhaps its up to the DG themselves

The director general of the media organisation can take the position for a period of five years with the option of extending for another two years.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Mc Redmond never stood a chance-

Board interview panel: Thanks for coming in Mr Mc Redmond - Now, can you tell us how you would envisage your tenure here over the next 5/7 years and what ideas do you have for taking the organisation further?

David: 'Thank you for the opportunity to put my ideas forward. I'm actually very excited about the prospect and have given the position a great deal of thought'

'I'd start at the top and work down through the various departments. Simply put, I believe there are too many managers in all areas and this must be reduced. Also, the remaining managers must take heavy reductions in their remuneration packages and also be held fully and personally accountable for the decisions made in the departments they run.'

'As another example, I think 2FM is a complete drain on the organisation. How a radio show needed three presenters is frankly astonishing and is indicative of the mismanagement of the station - I would plan to phase out 2FM completely within 18 months.'

'I have lots of other ideas regarding streamlining the organisation using long established commercial business models if you'd like to hear them?'

NEXT!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,138 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Forbes' reign has got to be regarded as a massive failure. Is there any aspect of RTE which is in a better position than when she got there?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭political analyst

The chairperson of the RTÉ board will tell an Oireachtas committee today that the government must take a decision on reform of the licence fee.

If the fee is replaced with a household-based broadcasting charge, shouldn't there be an exemption for householders who can prove that they have no TV hardware at all (i.e. the monitor, which is erroneously referred to as a TV set, aerial, cable, satellite dish) and no access to broadband at all?! If there is no such exemption, then householders who currently forgo TV and internet services because of financial problems will be unjustly penalised. After all, TV and the internet are not as important as electricity, water and heating.

It seems to me that the only reason Dee Forbes was hired last time is that they thought it was about time RTE had a woman DG.

God, that household charge to replace the licence fee has been talked about since Pat Rabbite was the communications Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 40,244 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That would just be your misogyny talking.

She was beyond qualified and was also the first external appointee since the early 60s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Whatever about your opinion on her tenure, she was a senior executive in a major multinational media outfit. She had serious experience coming into the role.

And has done absolutely nothing for RTE in the past 7 years, not necessarily her fault but the role of DG could easily be retired if it's so powerless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dee was considered a maverick apparently by RTE lifers,no idea why.

What's this new guy like? A "safe pair of hands" no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That's fine it you think that, but she wasn't appointed because she was a female and you don't really have a basis for saying so.

She was a senior executive in a major international media operation (one of the few Irish citizens with that kind of experience), that's why she was brought in.

It'd be interesting to know who else applied for the position this time round considering that Dee was up against the same two candidates.

I thought that Dee was there as a Seagull initially charged to change staffing arrangements in RTÉ but she really ended up with no teeth and continued much of the work that Noel Curran had done. It's a pity.

The new guy isn't going to change anything. He will be worse that Dee, and I get to say that without having to worry about his gender.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Also if you can state the following, you can state you believe something to be tokenistic but really IMO both are possibly wrong.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,138 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I thought that Dee was there as a Seagull

Flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything and then leaves? She was the opposite, made no noise, changed feck all and got an extension to her tenure.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

No more like flies in sits atop the smoldering heap, picks away at the discarded scraps and flies away happy.

______

Yesterday

The appointment of Dee Forbes

“Not only is this the first director-general in almost 50 years to be appointed externally, but she will also be the first female to hold the role,” she said. “RTÉ is at a pivotal moment, one where the future shape and financing of public service broadcasting is being re-imagined. I am delighted to have someone with such a breadth of industry experience, such a creative and visionary understanding of the global broadcasting market, and a proven management record.”

The Appointment of Kevin Bakhurst

“I’m delighted to welcome today’s announcement of the appointment of Kevin Bakhurst as the new director general of RTÉ. The appointment follows a competitive recruitment process, with Kevin as the unanimous choice of the RTÉ board,” Ms Ní Raghallaigh said on Tuesday.

“Kevin brings an exceptional breadth of industry experience, great leadership skills and a passionate commitment to the development of public service broadcasting in all its forms. Kevin’s appointment comes at time of opportunity and change for RTÉ,” she said.

“With my fellow board members, I look forward to working with Kevin in our shared commitment to a thriving and financially sustainable RTÉ.

And there we have it!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They used a thesaurus to mangle the same media release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It’s 8pm on a Thursday evening.

RTÉ 1 showing How to be Good with Money - originally aired in February 2022

RTÉ 2 showing DIY SOS - originally aired on April 17th….

seriously? What the actual fcuk……. Have they nothing better to put on?

RTÉ will tell you this is normal for linear TV and that both the BBC and Channel4 have a high number of repeats... However

BBC and C4 both provide stats on the number of repeat in peak viewing hours for BBC 1, 2 and Channel 4. They publish them in their Annual reports.

It shows that BBC 1 airs about 3% of repeats in peak hours (6pm to 11pm), BBC 2 airs 25% while C4 airs 9%.

While I took a look at RTÉ a few years ago and found that RTÉ ONE had 25% repeats and RTÉ2 had 50% repeats.

What is worse is that RTÉ2 will repeat both the RTÉ ONE version of DIY SOS and their version in peak hours.

On top of this if you are an RTÉ ONE viewer if you take away all of the regurlarly schedule programming in peak hours such as SIX ONE, NATIONWIDE, NINE NEWS, PRIME TIME, FAIR CITY, EASTENDERS, TLLS your left with 50% + repeats on the channel, so of the 2 or so hours of PEAK hours that are not regular programmes they are regular regurgitations!

Meanwhile they spend 25m on imported programme which they could schedule to avoid so many repeats.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Repeats are one thing,but they're shameless or just don't care. The same programmes will be get repeated endlessly. Pat Short's music show,killinaskully,maybe another chance to see the Late Late Show's best comedy bits.

Their programming is obviously done by lucky dip too. Two cookery programmes back to back or two or three wildlife shows on the trot. Also what are all of those one hour serials at late night that nobody has ever heard of that seem to come and disappear at a whim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Watching the Tonight Show on VM1, where they discussed Claire Byrne ruling herself out of the LLS gig. They noted that she probably got some insider information regarding changes (possibly wages, thought that wasn't mentioned) that will be made to the LLS gig, and thus that's why she opted out.

Wonder if it's anything to do with her and Ryan sharing an agent? Did Noel Kelly realise that RTE are so in the crapper, that negotiating her wages would be a non-option?

Advertisement