Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Wouldn't he just close his account if he (King) actually cared that much about the situation?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He absolutely could and some will .

Some won't but will post out to their large number of followers about it.

Some might even sue as has been suggested above.

But the reality is that almost none of the possible scenarios will make Twitter look good.

It's just yet another example of how poorly Musk understands the product he has purchased.

He thinks that everyone uses it how he uses it and views it in the same way.

They absolutely don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

I deleted my account a few months ago (when he started suspending accounts of journalists who had been critical of him). I had a look this morning on the public feed: Elon’s tweets are first, followed by tweets about the success of the new Spacex rocket (it exploded a few minutes after take off) and tweets from the Tate brothers. I won’t be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only going to get worse in that regard as it'll prioritise all tweets, likes, retweets etc by Twitter Blue users, and the majority of Twitter Blue users will be Musk fans.

Only for I stick to the For You feed with just accounts I follow, I'd be inclined to leave the site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stephen King probably wouldn't bother but LeBron could be one to watch in that respect.

Misrepresenting people is so plainly stupid, yet Musk is still lauded as a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

So Twitter has now dropped the State-affiliated/ funded labels.

But instead of this being a backtrack about the recent mislabelling of certain news agencies, they’re gone totally now from all sources, even ones that are entirely state run in Russia and China.

Once again Elon has taken a useful feature and made it worse by trying to make it better - but you’d wonder this time if this was the plan all along.

Twitter Blue gets announced: "Hahaha, all these elitist celebs will no longer be special or be the only ones with blue checkmarks!"

Blue checkmarks get removed: "Can't believe these elitist celebs won't just pay $8 just because they think they're better than us!"

I mean I really fail to see the logic. They think they're better than everyone else because they won't pay $8/month to keep the blue tick that the vast, vast majority of Twitter users also aren't paying for....?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭francois

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And virtually every reply to that tweet is from a randomer with a Blue Tick..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

LeBron has form for this already so its just showing how clueless the Muskhards actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Seems like all this effort by the genius has driven a whole 28 additional legacy blue checkmarks to pay $8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

That'll cover his interest payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah see the numbers are going up he only needs another *checks notes* 10 million subscribers to be able to service all the debt hes loaded the company with.......

And we already know he paid for 3 of those checkmark (King, LeBron, Shatner) himself, so that's only 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Don't care for Musk much but I do see what he is trying to do with the subscription model. It's a change in how online news sources and 'journalism' is managed and paid for. For many years now, people have come accustomed to 'free' sources as various platforms and publishers competed. That's going out the window and has to, in order to sustain the 'free' model. Of course there is resistance, it's like changing course of a flotilla of cruise liners.

But it's how it will go - the days of free content that is anyway managed or moderated is going away. Pay for what you get will be the new model.

Surprised if boards here doesn't go the same way at some stage. Suck the inevitable up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Think you are confused. What Musk is doing is the opposite of what you describe. The content twitter has comes from its creators... Musk isnt looking for subscriptions from people to view it. But the people creating it!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

And what makes that even worse, the current benefit to those creators for using Twitter is very low compared to other platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's creators are also it's consumers and participants. You know the old cliche, that there can be no free lunch. And there can't be, it just doesn't work as a model that needs a lot of cash to run. Look at the traditional newspapers increasingly going behind pay walls. In time, I think what will remain free, will be regarded as highly suspect - either state sponsored propaganda or commercial marketing etc.

Like a lot of things in life, the free bits only last so long in order to create a new market and then they have to be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

If you make the lunch, it's generally free as a perk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The subscriptions are for the content creators le bron. He is charging the people the platform will die without

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is the Twitter thread. You know what doesnt work? Musks Twitter model of driving away premium advertisers and trying to get money from the content creators that bring people to Twitter.

You havent explained how the new Twitter model works or even tried to or how it will produce more revenue than the old Twitter approach. The old Twitter approach was enough to cover the costs of the service - it wasnt having to pay off the overvalued takeover burden. Thats what needs a lot of cash.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Most of the ads that showed up as I scrolled twitter about 5 minutes ago were all for.... f*ck only knows what. They were in Chinese or something. No idea what the ads were for. That's the sign of a great advertising campaign.

Also a sign that big advertisers, ones who might actually advertise something relevant to me or at the very least in the language I speak, have reduced their advertising spend.

Everyone knows what the deal is with Twitter, Facebook etc. You're not the customer, you're the product. These sites make their money from advertising, APIs and user data, not from the general users. They need as many general users as possible and keep them by providing them with content to keep them engaged. That content comes from other users.

Twitters biggest selling point to general users is the content provided by celebrities, news sites etc, and the ability to engage in discussion on any topic quickly and easily. Now with Musk's changes, he's ruined the verification system which helps people know they're following or viewing tweets from the actual person, news or etc. When replying to celebs etc, your tweets are now given less weight compared to Twitter Blue subscribers. When discussing topics, news, entertainment etc, your tweets are now given less weight compared to Twitter Blue subscribers. And all of that affects what advertisers you have and how much they want to advertise on Twitter. On a reputation basis alone, advertisers see Twitter and Musk as being far more volatile and risky than before.

There is absolutely an argument to be made that Twitter as it was was unsustainable as a company, and there likely did need to be a decent reduction in staff numbers and overheads. Absolutely.

Twitter Blue and the other changes Musk has made to the usability of the site for the actual user base though, that's not part of the answer, that's causing entirely new and self-inflicted problems. The vast, vast majority are never going to pay for Twitter, because ultimately there are still numerous other avenues for them to get the same stuff for free; Twitter was at its most convenient for being a centralised location for it. But they will eventually go elsewhere rather than pay. And Musk has also given absolutely no reason for people to pay, and his entire attitude about it all has made the Blue tick now something that is being openly mocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

If people are to pay twitter for the content that it produces fair enough. From what I know about twitter though, it seems that it's the users that produce the content. They "tweet" words and people go to twitter to read these tweets. It might be the case that twitter produces their own content to be consumed by their users but they're far from the most popular. If tweets from users are what drive eyeballs to the website and attract advertising dollars, maybe twitter should be paying users like youtube does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Didn't see you make that point before responding to the same post.

Just goes to show what a brainbox the Dear Leader is when he's left in the room on his own after sacking the people with all the intelligence and know-how.

I think Twitter Blue was a decent idea as an optional feature. I'd have probably signed up to it going back over the years when I lived on Twitter. The edit button(with a short window in which to edit), posting longer videos, text-formatting, and couple of other bits would have been nice.

But the whole pay2play and get your tweets boosted is a load of bollocks and I wouldn't have wanted that stupid blue tick. Instead of funny/intelligent replies making their way to the top, we now have fellas who left their mother's box room to raid her purse clogging up the replies with "*SLURRRRRRP* DADDY ELON!!!!!".

One of the greatest (and definitely the most expensive) acts of self-sabotage we've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

Is there a reason Musk could not have added other 'Colors' or icons to indicate users status?

In initially he wanted to make changes and did not have to time change a lot of code, so reusing the existing 'system' was the easiest thing to do. There seems to be a fixation on Blue, I know of autistic children with the same issue.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

So this has been a disaster already?

• Advertisement

Advertisement