Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The problem with this as we're already seeing with the first of these is when the government contracts private companies to do work they get absolutely rode. Everything is priced and charged at the absolute maximum so the "cost" rental ends up being 1500 quid a month for a two bed apt which is still pretty much useless.

When a private developer builds to sell their own properties these costs are kept to an absolute minimum because the margin is their profit which is why you see porches and even windows starting to become a bit of a rarity on many new builds.

This applies all the way up - a 200 bed hotel could be built for about 1/10 of a 200 bed hospital and we're seeing examples of this in Dublin as we speak.

The only solution is for the govt to build and manage the properties in the first place but they won't do that because it would bring the price of property and rents down. Solving the housing crisis but upsetting the rich, which is a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I think the 3k increase is a MoM figure...quote from the article below.

the average home is on the market at £365,357 in March, a rise of 0.8% on the previous month.

Yep, but I read elsewhere, I think on rightmove uk, that they were up 3% year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

In the Last decade we sold apartments and housing to investment funds for peanuts and rented them back for a kings ransom.

Not smart

In the next decade we propose to subsidise the building of apartments which investment funds may buy with the subsidy discount and rent them to the state for a kings ransom.

Not smart

In relation to BAM, this is my objection to the State employing developers for large projects like building tens of thousands of houses. Developers are experienced operators in this sector, when they negotiate with Public/Civil servants, well obviously there is only one winner.

Surely the same logic applies to allowing a small number of investment funds monopolise and control rental supply in our high demand areas.

When we built 100k units in one year, it was not BAM or Sisk that were building them it was lots of small/mid sized operations that were building in every County in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

”we” didn’t build them, private developers did, motivated by profit and the need to build as quickly as possible and with manageable cost.

If you can’t understand the difference between a developer building on their own site to sell, and the State employing developers to build for them, I’m not sure I can help you. Suffice to say, keeping costs down and managing a budget are more important when the developer is working for themselves.

In relation to investment funds, it wasn’t long ago that posters were calling for professional landlords, you should be glad they are here, because without them and their forward financing, a lot of those rented developments would still be rubble strewn sites.

I know you are not for turning, but if you want houses delivered more quickly and with lower costs, then you incentivise developers, you don’t employ them, hand them a saddle and tell them to jump on your back. Robert Watt was an example yesterday of what happens when you give PS/CS money to spend, they won’t give a toss about what people like you and me think, they will just hand out the money, would you even know who is responsible for overseeing the children’s hospital? Of course you wouldn’t, you just want to hand the same type of people billions to hand out to developers, but you are smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

So where are all these modular homes being built?

if you only have 100 homes available, you can only house 100 families. If we dont prioritise key workers (or another group -please name another group if there is a better one?) then the 100 homes will fill up with those on welfare and the rich.

Exactly as you say.

So the squeezed middle will emigrate anyway, if they are so inclined.

if its a choice between a nurse or teacher or supermarket worker staying, yes, id prefer the key worker stayed over someone self employed or working admin in a bank, insurance company etc.

pensions were not part of the conversation but i agree that is a ticking time bomb.

we are replacing a lot of the young migrating with new young immigrants.

the CSO stats from the census will confirm this year.

You want speculators to be rewarded, while I want workers that add value to be rewarded. Speculation adds costs and results in the boom bust markets we have become accustomed to.

We have examples of "bucks from Mayo" building for an affordable price to median income earners and all the policies implemented to reward speculators used to snap them away from those people and handed to speculators who add 100,000 to the price or double the rent.

You want taxpayers money to reward speculators rather than it being used to be invested in critical infrastructure that helps the economy and the nations citizens. It really is that simple.

The funds we incentivised were the ones that wanted to turn a quick buck. Many funds who want stable reoccurring income in a stable environment refused to come here because they could see our policies were boonm bust in nature. This is harmful to their business model

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It’s been a few weeks since that article was published about the small development in Mayo, but am I right in saying the developers built them, then sold on the houses? If that is the case, they were motivated to keep costs as low as possible, would that motivation exist if they were working for the State?.

Developers will undoubtedly be rewarded if they are employed directly by the State to build large State managed projects, what could be better? They would know that cost over runs are the State’s problem, the developer will get paid either way, and like BAM, if the State threatens to pull the plug, the developer threatens to walk, leaving the State in the unenviable position of having to negotiate again with another developer who knows that the State will be in a position of desperation.

I get that you have this naive opinion of how things should be, but it is not based in reality. You are blinded by this need to prevent the private sector from profiting, to the point that you are willing to waste more money by ignoring the benefits incentivising the building of houses quickly and at what is likely to be a lower cost than letting a bunch of beaurocrats get turned over by seasoned developers.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We could argue the pros and cons till the cows come home, bottom line we need rental properties today. Commencements are down for the 3rd month in a row, whatever gets building done get it done. The government don't need any help in pissing money away atleast the average working citzens sees something out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Does anyone have a good explanation of why the UK property prices are going up? It just seems crazy with their interest rates and it doesn't make sense to me.

You'd often wonder why Irelands social housing policy has evolved to be so expensive.

Mix of massive inflation and lack of supply, cost of materials to build etc. similar to here.

I've no issue with the private sector making a profit, I and most others work with in that system after all.

Current policy has created barriers and added costs to small developers and landlords while rewarding much larger operators who can lobby and have the ear of government. That lobbying has resulted in policies that appear to have small landlords and developers rushing for the exits and discouraging new entrants.

Creating an environment that encourages and at least levels the playing field for small operators to compete with the larger operators increases efficiencies and innovation within the sector.

Continuing with current processes guarantees higher costs and activities that add no value, increase costs, suppress supply, encourage land and property banking as well as vacancy and delapidation.

This all adds cost to every single tax payer and private entity trying to make a profit. Please stop trying be a messiah for private enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Seemingly immigration is increasing (contrary to what many had thought after Brexit) so extra demand is probably helping as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Is there anyone going to jail or is it just the usual corrupt crooks running the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Lol no chance. But I can guarantee that 'lessons will be learnt'.

Government policy has turned land and housing into a deposit account product rather than places to live for our citizens.

The next eviction ban to be lifted needs to be this government evicted from power. They are the problem not the solution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭combat14

‘Rent is taking up two-thirds of my salary. I’ll most likely go to Australia’

if the government cant raise wages further they will have to look at dropping or subidising rents or look at lowering taxes which are crazy here

or maybe perhaps it is time to open the emigration safety valve again perhaps it would make room for the influx of builders and trades people from outside ireland we so desperately need

• Advertisement

It is a bad sign when our best hope is for our own young take a one way ticket out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

exactly.

The govt need to do more to support key workers though.

These stories spin the truth somewhat as everyone at these events is interested in moving abroad in the first place.

That said, there is a genuine teacher shortage in Dublin and its getting worse.

Yet conversely, the country is dripping with money and tax surplus is through the roof.

Will the govt finally invest more into housing and pop the rent bubble?

The govt are staring at an open goal. They have the money, but will they reform the planning system and invest heavily in housing? Or will they keep on keepin' on.

We started the week with countries who are offering incentives to take away our educated graduates.

They are quickly criticised by posters for human rights abuseses and slave labour that build there housing by posters who also claim that we can't attract building labour, while other countries can apparently get slave labour to do it. Is it possible that we could attract some of those slaves here and give them an appropriate salary?

We ended the week with graduates we have attracted here to work in our dysfunctional health system with regular complaints long working hours/shifts being attacked by a landlord with a power saw.

I think our graduates leaving is a greater problem than many realise, a little bit more than propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭DataDude

Agreed except for the tax piece. A newly minted teacher in Ireland on 40k would pay very little tax. Less than 20% effective rate.

Effective income taxes start to get high on people earnings €60/70k+ in Ireland but are very very low on everyone else. There is no scope to reduce taxes on relatively lower income earners and narrow the tax base even further.

this is very true. Even someone on the median full time salary of around 37k pays almost no tax.

A tax reduction would benefit the 50k/60k + group, since they are the ones paying for everything.

Not that thats a bad thing. A lot of those jobs are mobile, so if we want to keep them, we have to moderate the way we tax them.

What happened to Leo's 35% tax rate?

Not a perfect solution if introduced, but paying less tax is still paying less tax.

It would benefit the people it directly affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Those on the lower income are feeling the cost of living squeeze more. To say there should only be tax cuts for those on mid to high incomes is something that Tory Brits might try.

The bumper taxes are from Google, Microsoft, Amazon etc.

The benefits should be shared with all citizens. Not the mid and high earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

I was doing a course in UL and in a survey, just shy of 70% of first year students surveyed stated they planned on emigrating when they achieved their qualification. Frightening statistic.

The 50k/60k + income bracket do not pay for everything

PAYE is only 1/3 of the tax take, so 2/3 of the money that pays for everything does not come from income tax

Vat generates nearly as much tax as Paye. Low/middle income workers in general spend all their income so will pay higher vat as a percentage of their total income.

The country is kept ticking over by an educated, flexible, income stable at the low to middle income levels that help generate significant corporate tax

Tax spending is often spent in a way that drives up rent and house prices which is a benefit to asset prices held more often by higher income earners and very costly to low mid income earners.

Tax spending is used to incentivise the purchase of cars, refurbishment of homes etc which lower income groups in general can't afford

Higher income groups can avail of very beneficial tax breaks to build up there pension while lower income groups are less likely to afford any type of pension.

All this before we mention that lower income groups are more likely to be renting. What's left after the rent is paid?

A bit less of the poor mouth, with a small bit of digging, again it's another narrative that does not pass the sniff test

• Advertisement

Like I say its like a farmer spending a fortune to get his crops to harvest and someone else comes along and drives of with the harvest.

2023 Ireland knowledge economy

It's all grand once property and land is worth more on paper

Hopefully those students get to see graduation. Limerick used to be a great place to dodge the costs of other cities, now impossible to get accomodation

Advertisement