Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Interesting post.

I don't think you're right in the way you characterise the Farmers Alliance as a Country versus City thing.

Listening to them it's more about

a. Producers being crucified by middle men and

b. Green policy being imposed on them in ways that don't even make sense.

That second one - the top down imposition on communities by an out of touch government - is what makes them allies not enemies of the urban protestors.

The Farmers Alliance are exercised about greenways and green policy demands for the same reason East Wall is out protesting about the direct provision centres being foisted on them.

I see the energy from the protests of the last few months is now starting to be cashed out in more structured alliances and arrangements - the parents rights/anti trans groups (Aontu meeting about this this evening in Artane), communities with DP centres moving on to legal objections. And especially, this Farmers Alliance and the the Rural Independents initiative.

Still scattered, like you'd expect from a ground up movement, but starting to mature and move on.

Most importantly they're now organising in ways that may be a political threat and that's what gets results. The IFA are already responding to the Farmers Alliance by criticising green policy themselves.

I've been thinking a lot about what the urban equivalent of the Farmers Alliance and the Rural Indo's initiative would be.

Particularly the messaging.

You've got housing, emigration, hospital lists as the main issues of the day. As PBP will tell you. But although they're all tied in with immigration you can't just come out and say Immigration!

That marginalises you. You get written off as sounding like the National Party.

Not saying that's a well founded reaction, but it's just how the message comes across to the mainstream right now.

Then there's also the other very strong message that this movement isn't about left and right, it's top bottom. It's about communities being imposed on by government. You can even tell NGO people that's what East Wall is about and get a positive reaction.

Is there any way to combine the two messages. Yes.

Communities are having housing lists, rental accommodation, schools, GP practices, overrun by the imposition on them of this unpopular policy.

There is no concern for communities being shown by government and they're being made to suffer.

Run on that in a local election.

Surprisingly in the clip I saw of Verona Murphy at the Farmer's Alliance meeting she was making exactly this argument.

Watch this space. There might even be candidates you wouldn't be embarrassed to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,466 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You mention East Wall in your post, but are completely ignoring that there were pro-immigration and pro-refugee marches in the area from the exact same working class community, perhaps even bigger than the earlier anti-migrant ones (and this also occurred in other areas where refugees had been targeted). This immediately throws everything you are saying about this being a "top bottom" issue into serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭brickster69

Migration pact was voted on by MEP's today.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

All parties in Ireland are pro immigration control

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

"Force countries" and "mandatory relocations"

Remember when it was just a trading bloc.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Your statement that "refugees had been targeted" throws your post into disrepute.

Firstly, as you're well aware, the DP centers in East Wall and elsewhere, are used to house asylum seekers, not approved refugees. You've repeatedly stated throughout this thread that posters are conflating different migration streams, yet you don't appear capable of keeping the nomenclature straight yourself. Why is that?

Secondly, can you shed some light on the specific targeting in question? The protests appear to have been mostly peaceful and I'm not aware of individual asylum seekers who were assaulted or otherwise treated egregiously by the protestors. You wouldn't be making stuff up now, would you?

I'm not sure you're in any position to question the veracity of other posters on this thread..

My point would be that these protests (East Wall, Drimnagh, Ballymun etc) were not organic and were not local community led. They were orchestrated on social media by outside parties. There was definitely attendance by local people of course - but given that the counter demonstrations by pro-immigration people also took place in the exact same communities means we shouldn't necessarily be overly swayed by any of it.

Besides, there was an interview with a community leader who decided to attend the East Wall protest as an observer saying he didn't recognise a single person at the protest - nobody who was involved in the local community centre, homeless services, youth groups, outreach programmes, boxing club etc. They may very well have been locals, but didn't seem to participating in anything at a local community level.

No. That’s not your point at all. You claimed that the protestors were targeting refugees.

We’ve since established that you’re unable to differentiate asylum seekers from refugees, which is rather undermining given your almost daily ‘contributions’ to this thread.

You’ve also not clarified how asylum seekers were targeted. Again, point out where individual asylum seekers were assaulted or treated egregiously by the protesters. Surely you can source reports of such incidents given your previous claim?

I don’t believe that anybody needs advice as to whether they should be ‘swayed’ or not, least of all by you. Most posters are pretty intelligent, capable of analysing the facts, and drawing their own conclusions. What is evident, is that they aren’t ‘swayed’ by the storytelling, downplaying, and half-truths propagated on this thread almost daily..

BTW, can you provide a link to that statement by the East Wall community leader to underscore the veracity of your claim? The leader of the protests was Malachy Steenson, who whilst not directly from East Wall, appears to be significantly embedded in the community. Who is the community leader to whom you’re referring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Government told they have to provide accommodation anyone who arrives the country. How did this "17" year old man make it all the way to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

So literally we have to accommodate everyone who arrives even if theres no space

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A clown country

• Registered Users Posts: 34,094 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its OK though. No housing crisis and plenty of space in Leitrim don't forget

The community leader was interviewed on RTE Radio around the time of the East Wall protest (on Drivetime I think). Said he decided to along as an observer to see just what was being said at these anti-refugee protests and who was involved. But he didn't recognise any of the protesters and didn't have any sense they were actively involved in the community, even though they may well have been local residents.

The modus operandi of these anti-asylum seeker protest organisers is well understood. Put up posts all over social media saying there will be a march at such and such a place and at such and such a time, but then try and make it look like that that the protest was organic and was thought of and organised by the local community. Then go along and live stream the protest and put lots of videos up about the 'silent majority'. Interestingly though, these protests seem to have gone out of fashion in the last couple of months....it may be that the authorities quickly wised up to what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

TBH, I sincerely doubt they were from the "exact same working class community". Or any organic community. They were organised reactively. And they just so happened to spontaneously organise to support the policy of the ruling regime and all its money. Fancy that!

So I'd consider it extremely probable that these counter-protestors were being bused in by the mass migration industry to whatever "hotspot" is kicking off that particular week.

I don't want to demonise these people. I did allow they could be honestly wrong. Like you, I think there is a way to combine the two messages - by running on a unified pro-Irish party message that addresses the concerns of all Irish people, be they living in a housing estate or a one-off build. And that problems is mass migration and the challenges it poses. As opposed to a messaging or branding (i.e. "rural") which invites internal sniping between Irish people.

We can all see how the English and the Americans have been misdirected into intensely bitter, completely inconsequential infighting about fox hunting or gun rights that offers the panacea of avoiding tackling their actual existential concerns. We Irish should be well attuned to this given the only difference between FF and FG was what side of the civil war their grandparents were on.

I'm extremely cynical that when Irish dissatisfaction with the ruling regime erupts into grassroots protests that all of a sudden a "rural" political movement arises to pretend that the pressing issue of the day is that farming is regulated to appease these eejits in Dublin. Which then invites a "urban" political movement to pretend the issue is that not enough houses are being built to house the world and that every field in Ireland needs to be concreted over.

Its all very comforting - as you say yourself the unique selling point of this "rural" party is that "Hey, we're not the National Party. We pretend to be against the regime but we love mass migration so you don't have to be embarrassed to vote for us. You're just dissatisfied because farming has regulations" It seems like a pressure release valve for Irish peoples discontent, into inconsequential nonsense while the regime ideology is left unchallenged.

Mass emigration used to be the release valve, now I fear it will be dumb, divisive, American/UK style "politics".

I have no issue the with anti-asylum seeker protests, as long as they are peaceful (or with pro-asylum seeker, or any other type of protest)....we live in a democracy with freedom of speech after all.

The only thing I'd take issue with is trying to spin it as the 'silent majority' or representative of widespread public opinion. There's no way immigration or asylum seekers would come up in the top five or six issues facing the country in any current opinion poll. You can easily tell from the actual protests....around 100-200 people max showed up at the East Wall, Drimnagh and Ballymun protests, despite all the publicity at the time.

It was never just a trading bloc. The very earliest efforts talked about common defence and political union - they were drafted by men who had lived through a near existential war waged primarily in Europe. They weren't motivated entirely by dividends or tariffs. There was a (brief) time it was for the interests of European countries and European peoples. The EU is just a vehicle that represents the ideology of the member states. The EU is not doing things to the member states - it has no independent power. It is not sovereign. It is a tool wielded by power. Like a gun, it can be used to do good as well as bad. It depends on who is holding it.

Look at the UK, they left the EU via Brexit and the waves of mass migration which motivated Brexit never altered. If anything they increased. The problem with mass migration into the UK always sat in London, not Brussels. But UK voters are trapped into voting for three parties who all support the same ruling ideology and only disagree on inconsequential nonsense. Whatever party they vote for, mass migration remains endless. That is their "democracy".

Well the pro-Irish protests are peaceful. What you seem to ignore is that an anti-Irish supporter attacked them by hitting them with a car. Which was hushed up extremely quickly. And it doesn't seem to bother you so lets stop pretending the threat of violence is coming from people who are concerned for their families and their communities is a real concern for you. Orwell called it 100 years ago - people not only approve of atrocities they agree with, they never even heard of them.

And lets face it - all of media and political pressure tells ordinary Irish people that if they are concerned with mass migration that they are intensely evil people who will be ostracised by all of their family and friends as some sort of scumbag. So we discuss the "top five or six issues" in Ireland (i.e. access to housing, education, health, crime, etc) and we all pretend that endless mass migration (i.e. demand) has no impact on those issues (i.e. supply).

There isn't a single top five issue facing Irish voters that isn't impacted by mass migration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

What annoys me about this Afghan asylum seeker case it that he travelled 6000km to an Island on the edge of the Atlantic. Why didn't he apply for Asylum in Iran / Turkmenistan / Pakistan?

Or if that was too 'close to home' why not try the oil rich gulf states like Saudi Arabia / UAE / Oman?

If he was truly worried that his life was in danger (or whatever story he's peddling) surely moving to one of these neighbouring states with a common Arabic / Muslim society would be less stressful? But like a lot of 'genuine refugees' I'm sure he knew that the easy life was here in Ireland - deposit sob story collect free house / dole and if you don't get what you want - free legal aid! The state will pay for you to sue us for your 'entitlements' and if your asylum application is refused - hey no problem - more free legal aid!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

The current refugee situation worldwide is a mess .... and there is an underlying cause which I will come to .... true we cannot keep taking in people and I am the furthest possible from far right views .... Ireland and others like it have finite resources and accommodation ... it is just not practical .... it is also not good that much of the world is becoming akin to a Mad Max type wasteland ruled by feudal tyrants or total chaos ... this crisis is a type of pandemic ... and the virus is warmongering ....

The 2003 US invasion of Iraq is the start of this modern crisis arguably .... itself triggered by US hardliners' opportunism to wage war using 9/11 as an excuse ... war on terror = excuse to wage war on anyone outside the agenda of the warmonger: US against Taliban and Saddam copied by Russia against the Chechens copied by Israel against Hamas ... Before the modern crisis .... the cold war sowed the seeds .... proxy wars between the US and USSR/Russia .... Korea, Vietnam, Iran-Iraq, Central America, Africa ... lots of countries laid to ruin ....

Today 60% of SS Africa is a wasteland .... outside that Libya, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan, Myanmar, North Korea, Venezuela, Ukraine, etc. are all a mess .... problems caused by either US or Russian interventions such as war and sanctions .... awful regimes have come to power and awful wars ... this stupidity keeps on happening .... and no one is learning .... we have got Al Qaeda ... then ISIS ... now we have the Ukraine war ... Russia's version of the 2003 Iraq war ... next it will be some civil war in Iran with both sides backing a different side .... then it will be somewhere else ... China and Taiwan may join in the mix with their unfinished business .....

The VERY far right politicians in the US (Trump and his QAnon/Tea Party supporters) are the very ones who are loudest about refugees coming to the US ... yet they are the loudest cheerleaders of the Iraq war and a war against the Hassan Rouhani version of Iran .... a better version of Iran than the thing there now caused by Trump .... these very wars caused by US far right are the very cause of these refugee crises ...

It is obvious .... if all these wars and hatred stopped and a charter of responsibility based on each country supporting human rights and non-interference into other countries was enforced worldwide without sides supporting nasty dictators then progress could be made. That could have been done in the past but not now ... Putin's Russia and America are in no mood to stop what they do .... evil wars will continue to displace people and the only way to stop all this is for the West to demand their governments to stop putting sanctions on and waging wars against other countries .... and for Russians to move against Putin's similar agenda .... until that happens, refugees, proxy wars and failed states all created by superpowers will remain ....

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Completely!

That ruling just opens the door even wider. Our first obligation is to house the refugee & not our own! Is it any wonder that racism in on the rise in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Except 11 percent (at last poll I saw) thought it was one of the biggest issues up from 1 percent at election time

https://www.newstalk.com/news/parties-must-be-more-careful-when-talking-about-immigration-polling-expert-1408179

Well thats bullshit. Threats to burn places down, shouting outside where people live, blocking food delivery. None of that is in any way peaceful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Only 11%? Shows up the anti refugee claims they represent 90% as complete drivel then doesnt it.

Terry Pratchet

Would you not think that a 10 percentage point uptick in a matter of months is statistically significant?

I work in the big data space. I can assure you that a 10 point swing is highly stat-sig..

What percentage in this poll would satisfy you?

To be honest it's idiotic posts and attitudes like your one there, which has led to the government continually kicking this down the road to a point where it can get to 11 percent

I also work in analytics, I find it astonishing people can dismiss actual tangible data points on this issue when it doesn't suit their narrative

• Advertisement

For sure, but I suspect interest in this may be somewhat transient. There has definitely been a lot of stuff in the media about accommodation for asylum seekers and refugees in the last few months and we've also seen questions about immigration policies creeping into most current opinion polls. But it's the type of issue that could be a relative non event in a general election campaign (autumn 2024 presumably). I don't get the feeling it will move front and centre at any point between now and then....more like a side issue behind things like the housing crisis and cost of living. It doesn't help the anti-immigration guys that even the main opposition parties don't want to make a thing of it.

Advertisement