Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Robson99

See post above. You couldnt lay a glove on a Mayo player in the scoring zone. Comer fouled when executing a shot at the posts in the second half and no free. Most neutrals take on the game was the same.... soft frees

Anyways no sleep being lost here over it..... What was pleasing from a Galway point of view was that we created 3 or 4 clear goal chances quiet easily and kept Mayo scoreless from play for nearly 60 mins...and limited them to only 4 points from play over the 70 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭HBC08

I realise I'm on the Galway page here so I'll try to be honest and not have a dig after ye lost a final.

I believe Galway are currently a better team than Mayo.Further down the line in their development and more settled,bearing this in mind its got to be worrying when ye can't put a Mayo team (not playing well yesterday and missing a few players) to the sword.

I think Galway should have won the game yesterday, if ye have 5 goal chances you have to be converting 2 or 3 of them at least.Mayo had 4 goal chances in the 21 All Ireland final and coverted none of them,you'll rarely win a game doing that.

Ye can't control things like Colm Reaoe having his best game in a Mayo Jersey and pulling off wonder saves,sometimes things just work out for a player.

Things like PJ celebrating leagues wins on the sideline in February like ye have won Sam and having meltdowns in interviews ye can control.This sort of craic is a liability for ye and an advantage to opponents.Personally I love to see it but I think it does a disservice to yer team.

Also Galways record in Croker in fairly shocking, I wouldn't be confident it we meet ye in the Connaught semi in Salthill but would fully expect Mayo to beat Galway at the business end of the championship in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

Happy enough after that, even though it's annoying to lose a winnable game to our rivals, and it would have been nice to win a competition.

It was a good tough clash, which is great to have under the belts of some of our key players who haven't played much recently. We gained far more from that than we would have from any amount of challenge games over the next fortnight, and as long as Johnny Heaney isn't too badly injured we've nothing but positives to take away really.

We started slower and made quite a few silly errors that looked like a lack of sharpness. That's probably understandable considering we're not playing championship for 3 weeks and shouldn't be at full tilt yet, and that poor start was the difference in the score by the end. I'd expect to see a different Galway in the Connacht semi-final, unless they've really screwed up their preparations.

A few frees that could have gone either way but nothing to get too bothered about (and Aidan O Shea is definitely due a few handier ones after the punishment he's taken over the years). I hope that Damien Comer gets the same turnaround in refereeing fairness this season.

Fair play to Conor Gleeson - had a very good game with loads of pressure on him. And I'm excited to see our strongest forward line playing together in championship, it's a seriously talented group of attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Wouldn't agree that our record in CP is shocking, we've won enough games there too in recent seasons. Our record in finals isn't great, right enough, but in finals you are generally meeting the best, toughest opposition you will have faced, and you won't win unless at or near your own best.

This season has again been transitional in a way for PJ and Galway, whether by accident or design. He's had to introduce a decent raft of new players, a few of whom, in particular McGrath and maybe Sean Fitz look as if they can they hold their own at this level. Last year they were shooting the lights out in division 2 but conceding hefty scores also. This year has been the exact opposite; very mean and tight defence but turgid for a lot of times in attack. I wouldn't get too excited about the management celebrating wins on the line, at least it shows passion and desire.

As for yesterday itself, to summarise, Galway lost because they gave away a few balls in attack in the first half which was punished by Mayo's score on the counter-attack, they conceded soft frees (whether merited or not) and didn't take their goal chances. The team should have enough experience to know not to foul O'Shea when playing Mayo. Just stand him up and he will eventually run out of road, he won't score. Sean Fitz gave away a silly, needless free right in front of the ref in the first half. Gleeson should have kept that last kickout of the first half short and let the backs run down the clock. Instead he kicked it long, it was overturned and Mayo earned another scoring free. Small things like that. Finnerty and Comer were scarcely match fit and Tierney and Conroy weren't in the game that much.

I wouldn't be greatly worried about meeting Mayo again as I feel there's more improvement to be found in Galway. However, I think they are cuter on the sideline and I always feared Rochford and Buckley getting back with them again as they're shrew operators I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jarrybutt

The end of the first half was important. Walsh hit a 45 with his left, put it wide, then last play of the half we lost the kickout and they got a point.

The difference between going in level and being 2 points down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

You're right, it should very well have been level at half time, but it was actually a 3 point gap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

A much tougher proposition going to Hyde than Mayo at home now. Davy Burke had them setup brilliantly.

I guess the good thing about the Rossies winning is that we get to keep our "Mayo League Final revenge" card until later in the year if necessary. A tough proposition in the Hyde but we have done it there before and, as good as they were today, Rossies aren't prolific scorers. I hope it won't be televised as I predict it will be a carbon copy of today's match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Hyde never easy. Rossie blood boils by Galway as much as Mayo so will be a dour battle. Would hope conditions are better than today but its something you can't plan for.

Soft frees of last week seemed to disappear for Mayo today and they quickly ran out of ideas once the "keep running till the ref blows the whistle" strategy failed.

I would imagine Galway will have no intention of pushing up on the Roscommon kick out (I know that will annoy a few here) but giving them a platform around the middle made things easier for Roscommon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Definitely gonna be a bad looking match in 2 weeks time bar maybe the last fifteen mins if it opens up out of tiredness. Some great Roscommon points today near the end.

Definitely gonna be very hard to win in the Hyde. Im not sure it's harder than Mayo in Salthill though.

Mayo didn't shoot from 30 yards out today. Galway would need to to get around that defensive wall.

Any idea when tickets are out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Roscommon v Galway will be live on RTE2, its on their list of fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Are Mayo in the tailteann cup now, I wonder are they worth a bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Great interview with Johnny Glynn dropped yesterday on the Smaller Fish pod if anyone hasn't heard it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

I see Moycullen have another new recruit, former Offaly player Johnny Moloney as reported by GBFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

He's well inside St Michael's catchment area from all accounts, which would be very poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Moycullen are getting a bad name for themselves the last while. Are Owen Gallagher and Tom Clarke living anywhere near Moycullen, highly doubt it. It’s well documented that Don Connellan approached them both about joining Moycullen. Is this Offaly player the same lad that’s a cousin of the Tierney in Oughterard? I heard he was meant to be joining them but maybe it’s a different lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Salthill were at it for years so it's nothing new. The new players have integrated well but there's a life span for these things, when results turn the first to be blamed are often the additions and local politics comes into play. It's very unlikely Moycullen could have gotten over the line without them but they may now have a local underage coming through that has seen success and will feed off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

The emergence of the Galway city super club is bad news for GAA in the county. Salthill had been hoovering up and and sundry. Now Moycullen are at it. Oranmore have half of the east of the city playing with them, cutting in on Mellows, Castlegar and James' and Claregalway are doing the same further north. Its bad news for even the strongest rural clubs who at underage at least won't compete because the numbers are so vast. With the right programme and some luck you might compete at adult but its harder to keep lads interested without underage success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Oranmore have half the east of the City playing with them is a bit of an exaggeration. Can you name them. Mellows cover the whole City. Most of Castlegar has been swallowed up by other parishes.

Separate to your comment the importing of players from other parishes keeps local players off teams. Clubs like Claregalway were really bad but I think they don't accept permission to play applications anymore. I think Athenry did it too. The other thing is there are no boundaries in the city. Most the clubs agreed boundaries about 20 years ago for the city center and west but it was never signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

fair play to Keiran Molloy for making the panel, according to PJ he may be available towards the group stages. some effort by him to recover like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

ACL injuries are ones you need to be more careful than most. Many players has picked up an 2nd ACL when rushed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Power and Ian Burke in

Goalkeeper is interesting. During the week PJ was asked about the number one and his exact quote was:

We will sit down tonight and pick the squad,” explains Joyce, speaking at a media event ahead of their trip to Dr Hyde Park on Sunday.

“Both of them are going well. We are in a position that Bernie Power and Connor are training really well. James Keane has come back from injury, our third choice. We are down between the two of them, Bernie and Connor. We will make that decision tonight. It is not a tough decision for me, no.

“Any decision we ever make is for the betterment of Galway football. It is not a personal decision. I’ll have the best lads available to Galway on the pitch. Simple as that.” 

Seems like who was starting this game was a foregone conclusion (which I would of thought meant Gleeson) but it's Power.......

Team as strong as we have bar Cillian not starting. Lots of options off the bench. Be interesting to see how Ian Burke goes. Felt it was unfair on a lot of lads to pin our early scoring woes in the league on them when we were down so many key attackers. But with Shane and Damo beside him I think Burke can flourish. It's either now or never as you'd imagine Finnerty and Culhane are pushing hard to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

Agree with all of that, except I'd have to say Rob Finnerty is without a doubt in our strongest 15. Ian Burke hasn't shown anything in a number of years to suggest he's a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

i think rob finnerty omission is due to tactics moreso than ability. Let's face it, it's going to be dire dog of a game, very physical so they are hoping that maybe ian burke will pick the lock with a pass and bring on finnerty and culhane when roscommon tire in the second half.

Was just going to reply with more unless the exact same... talk about stealing a lads thunder!

As above I have a feeling it's tactical. If management took anything from last year it's the need to have enough players to see out games and potentially give another burst to go on and win the game late on. Rob in my eyes is probably our most clinical finisher. Half a yard and ball in hand it's only going one place... so hopefully if he's needed to come he'll find that half yard a bit easier than what I expect to be a pretty dour opening.

Squad wise we have plenty of options. Hernon, O'Flathery, Paul Kelly and McDaid offer plenty of pace and energy if the engine room tires. Sean Fitz had a great end to the league. Patrick Kelly not in the squad and Niall Daly still no where to be seen so you'd imagine competition for places from 1-26 is fierce.

Owen Gallagher is a bit of an anomaly.. always there.... rare minutes..... has a Power feel to it all......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

It will be good to see what Power brings to it on Sunday. Best of luck to him.

I'm a bit unsure about the recent explanations by PJ around who's first choice. He said after the Kerry league match, when Power played well, that Gleeson was still number 1 and was rested. Gleeson played the league final. I can't remember any glaring mistakes in that match.

Obviously they have training matches and challenge matches to base things on.

But if the external messaging is also heard by the players, then to me its the kind of thing that could be confusing for a goalkeeper of all positions where a managers faith and confidence need to be felt by a goalkeeper over a long period of time. Not sure Joyce did himself, Gleeson or Power any favours by saying Gleeson was number 1 straight after the Kerry match. Better if he kept some things to himself.

Advertisement