Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on setup for new build

Options
  • 17-04-2023 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for feedback on a TV setup for a new build.

At the moment we only plan 2 locations for tv points - living room and snug.

I don't plan on putting in Sky and would be happy enough with Saorview and Freesat - as we would watch most other stuff online - netflix/prime/...etc.

I would be generally tech savvy and be able to figure things out so any feedback is welcomed !

From reading on here I was thinking of the Zgemma H7S as the combo box so that we can record and can setup the interface to be friendly enough.

If you could recommend a satellite/aerial and multiswitch please feel free to!

Or any comments on the setup in general, TIA.

My simple thinking was the following:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭forfcksake

Couple of other thoughts that I forgot to add into the above

1. would like to be able to record 1 channel and watch another (not sure if that is only do-able with the freesat and not saorview?)
    2. the gigablue (https://store.gigablue.de/4k-receiver/) or vuplus (http://vuplus.com/sub/sub0113.php) are nice!
    3. any feedback on the wiring would be great e.g., is it 2 cables from the satellite, one from the aerial into the multiswitch and then out from there to the TV points?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My suggestion, a min of 3 cables from multiswitch to TV points.

One for Saorview and two for satellite feeds. Reason for this if you decide to go the SkyQ route in future two cables are required for the wideband feeds, Hor & Ver, and Saorview has to be carried separately. Better to install during the build rather than later.

Four cables from the lnb on the satellite dish and one from the aerial to a standard multiswitch. Four are required from a legacy lnb for the four sub-bands - HL, HH, VL, VH.

If you go for a wideband compatible multiswitch only two cables are required from a wideband lnb on the satellite dish - wideband H & V.

Thanks for that info 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Not to hijack but I have 4 cables coming from a standard quad lnb into a standard switch.

if I upgrade to wide band lnbs and a wide band compatible switch would I be able to feed standard satellite and sky Q from the switch? ie I wouldn’t need another two cables to a separate lnb for sky Q alongside normal satellite.

Post edited by galvo_clare on

I would have to look at the specs of the multiswitch, but if memory serves it's wideband in and legacy out.

Have a look at the Whyte Technologies website, they manufacture a decent range of multiswitches with specs and manuals available.

dSCR multiswitches do this but with legacy and SCR auto switching per output for legacy receivers and SCR (single-cable) for SkyQ.

• Advertisement

So this is my latest thinking.

Feel free to critique !

Satellite distribution amplifier? Can you link to one?

The good thing about a multiswitch is it combines satellite and terrestrial down each cable from a single box.

I think I might have got caught by stuff that is available only in the US!

I seen this on a blog somewhere

1. Channel Vision HS-16: This amplifier has 16 output ports and a gain of 14dB. It also has an adjustable slope control, allowing you to fine-tune the signal strength for each output.
    2. PCT-MA2-8PN: This amplifier has 8 output ports and a gain of 11dB. It also features a passive return path for use with cable modems and interactive set-top boxes.
    3. Holland HDA-4: This amplifier has 4 output ports and a gain of 10dB. It also has a high isolation between ports to prevent signal interference.
    4. Skywalker SKY38323: This amplifier has 3 output ports and a gain of 20dB. It also features a built-in surge protection to protect your equipment from lightning strikes.

but googling them, they are all US sites....so maybe I'm 1 step forward, 2 steps back :)

regarding the multiswitch I thought it was generally not recommended to mix satellite and terrestrial signals on the same multiswitch. Because the frequencies used by the two types of signals can interfere with each other and degrade the overall signal quality?

(not an expert so can be corrected on that! )

I'm thinking since I'm only looking for 2 TVs with satellite, would I be better off just wiring directly from the satellite - 2 cables from satellite directly to TV 1, remaining 2 to TV2 - no need for that "Satellite distribution Amplifier" thing, or a multiswitch?

(Sorry I don't understand the "combines satellite and terrestrial down each cable from a single box")

Post edited by forfcksake on

1. Forget US satellite gear, stick with European. There are differences when it comes to satellite reception.

2. A multiswitch can combine a legacy satellite and terrestrial feed down a single cable without interference which can be split by a diplexer faceplate at the TV point to provide a separate satellite and Saorview connection as required. Every output on multiswitch carries the combined satellite/terrestrial feed.

The interference happens when you try to combine a wideband SkyQ and terrestrial feeds down a single cable. The feed (I.F. range) from a SkyQ wideband lnb on the dish overlaps the complete terrestrial UHF range.

3. Perfectly ok to run separate coax cables directly from the dish to the TV points. And separate cables from a distribution amp to TV points for Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

If you do go for something like the Gigablue consider Unicable, many of their models (including the Quad) have FBC tuners so you could get up to 8 tuners off 1 cable.

The big problem with the Gigablue's is the DVB-T tuner modules seem to be out of stock for the best part of a year or more, so unless you go with USB tuners for terrestrial not really a combo box at present.

I got the UE UHD 4K 2 years ago with the dual DVB-T module added and its the only box I have connected to the satellite or aerial, my second box is in client mode using its tuners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Going to piggyback on this thread as it looks like the OP has no more questions. Not tech savvy at all so apologies for any silly questions.

Buying a new build in a new housing estate & part from getting broadband from one of the main providers, I would like to avoid having to get Sky or Virgin and instead go with Saorview & Freesat.

From the brochure it mentions the below points in terms of media & communications for the house:

1. Wired for high-speed broadband (Cat 6)
    2. Telephone/data points in living room, kitchen & smallest bedroom
    3. TV Connection point to living room, kitchen & main bedroom
    4. USB Charging point in living room,kitchen & main bedroom
    5. Main infrastructure installed to accomodate Siro, Virgin and Eir

Are we likely to be restricted somewhat in getting Saorview/Freesat based on how the house has been wired? I had heard before about new builds being wired in a way that it is harder to move away from signing up with Sky/Virgin etc.

Thanks

I assume virgin is only a single cable from an enclosure outside where virgin connect their incoming coax cable for TV and broadband.

Freesat and SkyQ require 2 cables to the main TV point plus an additional Saorview antenna feed. If additional TV points are required in bedrooms etc. additional coax cabling will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have just Virgin broadband coming into the attic and down to their modem/hub i ran cat 5 to rooms with tvs and added switches for smart tv and boxes and android boxes

Ran many cables to main room and bedrooms.

If you only want broadband and no tv services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

My advice - it's 2023, so don't over invest here. You'll watch broadcast TV less and less. Put the money into ethernet cabling and a WiFi mesh.

For TV, you could get away with just having one FBC capable box (Gigablue or VU+). Run one terrestial and one satellite cable to this box. Use an Unicable LNB for sat. Have this box with your main TV. Then, you'll have multiple feeds from 28.2 that you can watch or record or stream to other devices around the home. You can stream to another Enigma2 box, TV app, iPad etc.

Stupid question,

What does FBC stand for in this context?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is interesting

So if I understand correctly, it would look something like:

Just a few questions, if anyone has any experience of this

1. Do you need to connect the aerial and satellite using an F-type splitter, which combines the satellite and terrestrial signals onto a single cable to allow you to watch and record both satellite and terrestrial channels? or can you set up the FBC tuner in the Gigablue interface, so that it recognizes both satellite and terrestrial signals?
    2. Does anyone know if I record e.g., a tv show on the main receiver (GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K FBC receiver connected to TV 1 ), can I watch that on TV2 (if I have the app or a client device connected to TV2)
    3. What's the con of this setup? is it just over reliance on the network?
    4. Is some sort of NAS recommended?
    5. What's the app/general gigablue user experience like?

Thanks in advance!

On my aerial feeds i have used a splitter as tv has a Saorview tuner and box also has one and i use an F connector splitter.

You cannot use a splitter for sat signals.

When i wired up my rooms it was a cable city for many feeds and sat dishes.

Most boxes i use have an internal hdd or powered externally + i have a Nas for off loading too.

Not sure if client mode works on tv but does work on another Enigma2 receiver.

I dont have / use fbc as everything was installed decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Apogee

1. Use a diplexer to combine terrestrial and satellite signals at one end and send over a single coax cable, and then another diplexer to split the signals at the receiver end.

• Advertisement

Hi. Answers below...

1) I have not tried to combine FBC satellite and terrestial on a single cable. I currently have one seperate cable for each. I believe it's possible though because some LNBs have the terrestial combiner built in (see example below).

2) Yes. You can stream what is being recorded.

3) Yes, you are depending a lot on your internal network. I have a mesh wifi network and only saw an issue once steaming UHD content.

4) I don't use a NAS. I've an SSD in the main box. Rarely record anyways.

5) The Gigablue app is OK. Not the cleanest interface. VU+ not as good as Gigablue. Streaming to an Enigma2 box (using a thing called fall back configuration) works best in my opinion.

Here's a screenshot of BBC 1 being recorded on the device, and also streaming the same channel and also ITV1 to my computer at the same time.

Thanks a million @JDxtra ! Appreciate it 👍

Apologies, never seen these replies to my message and did not seem to get a notification for it.

Reading it now, some of the lingo has gone over my head. In the new build (new build estate) there are TV points in the walls in a few of the rooms which I understand the wires are in the wall already and I think there is a box in a utility room where you can get at the wires.

What I don't want is to be drilling holes and having wires running across the room and visible, I think the way the house is built (presumably like all modern builds) is the wires are in the wall and you work off these (ideally).

Will wanting to go down the route of Saorview/Freesat - Aerial & Satellite most likely mean extra cables being installed that cannot work off the existing cables that are already in the house/walls? I was hoping that someone could lash an aerial and satellite on the roof and link it with the existing pre-installed cables in the house.

Alternative, then will be to just go with Virgin or Sky and whatever cheapest TV package they offer. Don't watch Netflix tbh.

I would be surprised if freesat and saorview are not wired in and just needing a sat dish and an aerial on house and no recurring fees.

What about broadband and then they add tv package expensive?

Any houses there with sat dishes or big trees blocking a signal?

Check here. https://www.dishpointer.com

You should be able to use existing cables. Otherwise, what was the point in them? :)

Told by builder can only have a Dish/Aerial on the back of the house (new build estate so presume some sort of management rules), not sure what that means in terms of getting a best signal and whether an installer can get a signal with dish/aerial on back of house.

It says for house details that the "Main infrastructure installed to accomodate Siro, Virgin and Eir", I just wasn't sure was this something intentionally done so you have to go with one of those suppliers rather than freesat/saorview, but if as JDxtra is saying (below) that you can use existing cables then maybe there will not be an issue.

Basic TV/Brodband package (with up to 1GB speed) is looking at around 60eur p/m for first 12 months then over 100euro p/m after 12 months. Broadband only is around 40eur p/m, so TV is costing an extra 20eur p/m in the first year then probably more in second year (even if I change provider). Just thought it might be better value long term with freesat/saorview. Now if the signal goes or aerial moves etc. I will need to pay an installer whereas wouldn't have that cost with a Virgin or Sky.

That dishpointer site seems to have the land as rural land and the houses already built around it, don't seem to be appearing.

Any houses there with sat dishes on them and facing where?

My house has got sat dish on rear of house , house opposite has it over garage on front of house but houses are old.

If one can only have it on rear of house it might have to be raised high depending on where its pointing to.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=can+you+find+where+to+point+sat+dish+on+mobile+phone&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:cff5811f,vid:H0zUGYu6IBI

Advertisement