Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying cable size

• 20-04-2023 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm trying to determine if the product information on this states the cable size. Photo's not great as it was tricky pointing the phone at it, while standing on a ladder :D What I read off is "PRYSMIAN (A) BASEC IS201-4 IE-N05VVH4-U 3G2.5 2018". Google has obviously made it clear for me that Prysmian is the manufacturer and BASEC and IS201-4 (are relevant certification/standard identifiers) so it's understanding "IE-N05VVH4-U 3G2.5 2018" I would appreciate help with. Google throws up plenty of references to IE-N05VVH4-U but no references to "3G2.5". Can I take it to mean it's an identifier for 3 core (twin + insulated earth), grey sheath and 2.5mm^2? (or am I projecting meaning from really superficial knowledge!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horseman34

Standardised cpc 3 core 2.5sq twin and earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Thank you. It was pulled by a plumber / handyman with one end connected to an electric shower .. his electrician said nope when he came around to do switch and supply connection. Some "interesting" times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You mean plumber ran it in for a 9kw type shower ?

Wrong cable for that anyhow

Time to fire the plumber that should be 6 or 10 sq depending on shower and other factors

• Advertisement

He's currently AWOL (he's fully paid so he doesn't need to talk to us again) so we're working out how to remediate

Cowboys, copper hasn't got that expensive, don't know where he thought he was going it was never going to get signed off on.

Electrician should be doing it in fairness

10 would be standard these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

It’s also not LSF cable(white)

triton recommend 10mm for the t90sr as most installations fall into that speciation/installation category and I’ve heard that they won’t provide a warranty if a certificate hasn’t been provided

in fairness to the plumber he wouldn’t be expected to know the exact cable sizes but did get a rec to come along and connect up and test/certify.

• Advertisement

Would hardly stand up in the small claims court or whatever

Not providing a warranty without a cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

I think earthridge/Barrett’s (warranty agency here) we’re getting so many call outs for showers not correctly installed that they now ask for a certificate on recently installed showers before they call out. I’ve no experience in this as I was only informed. Perhaps sleeper12 who regularly installs showers will confirm/deny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I haven't heard one way or another about Earthridge looking for certs. I have seen gas hobs / cooker manufacturers refuse to repair a hobs because it wasn't installed by a RGI & had no cert.

Personally I believe SCC would be very sympathetic with an engineer not wanting to work on an illegal (& possibly lethal) installation.

Edit: I believe 10mm is required in the wiring regulations but 6mm is technically safe up to 15 meter run. I would sleep soundly with 6mm in my own home. Biggest problem with 6mm (in my opinion) is when homeowners get 300mm attic insulation and installers put it over the cable. All of a sudden 6mm becomes unsafe. Insulation company says nothing to do with them. It will even pass an inspection by SEAI. This is where 10mm is best practice.

Thanks for the 10mm point. Fair point on the plumber and cable size in general .. though I agree with the RECs reaction when he came in of "I don't understand .. he should've just asked me" considering they'd just worked together on a job a few miles away.

Biggest problem with shower installs is isolators, shower terminals and board wiring

Short runs of 6 wouldn't give any trouble, maybe excessive voltage drop on longer runs

I doubt exceeding the rating of the 6sq with insulation ever really causes issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

Not just that, but report him as he's actively putting lives at risks. I've seen the result of melting cables and if I hadn't smelled the burning, things could've been a hell of a lot worse.

It is what it's.

Doubt he could be sanctioned for pulling in a wrong cable for electrician

Who do you report him to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

Hi Sleeper12, Can I ask, is the 6mm under insulation considered unsafe whereas 10mm is OK as the 6mm may overheat and cause a fire ? (obviously I'm not an electrician !) just interested / curious.

Cables get derated according to the installation methods

It won't be a fire hazard under attic insulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your REC does the calculations on what cable size. He takes into consideration if it's surface, in trunking, in a wall, in installation etc. His calculations might suggest 6mm is fine. Putting insulation over the cable might change the results of the calculations meaning 10mm required rather than 6mm.

My earlier point is that SEAI don't cover this in their training or instructions for insulation in the attic. They will happily pass an attic insulation where the installation now means that the wrong size cable is going to the shower

• Advertisement

Means nothing but half the country would be wired with 6sq and insulation covering for instantaneous showers

I'd hazard a guess cable might warm slightly but nothing close to a fire hazard

Any fire hazard I ever seen was at shower terminals or board

Advertisement