Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford University discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭imacman

No but there was definitely some fools involved in suggesting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Two universities have 50m pools already, it's not a new thing for universities to have top class sports facilities. Is your objection to the facility or the fact that it's not in Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭invara

You are certainly not wrong that we should aspire to have top-class sports facilities— alas the last new teaching building was delivered in the early 2000s, and the Engineering building PPP was first announced in 2006/7 and appears no closer. So in the order of priorities, it would be nice for politicians to focus on delivering what is already promised, before starting off on new adventures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭914

Fact, lads looking for a 50 meter pool and they haven't even laid a block yet.

There's not a hope of a 50 meter pool in SETU, had it have been a stand alone Uni then maybe as they could borrow to help fund it but as a TU not a hope.

Lets entertain the fact, if a 50m pool was a possibility then surely SETU Arena would be the preferred choice adding to the sports campus, either way there's not a hope and this just knows the lack of knowledge these politicians have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I oresume you are from Wexford. Whether or not, the politicians quoted have little understanding of just how difficult it has been to get any investment. A wish list may not be a bad thing, so maybe things will change with SETU?

I agree we should have top class sports facilites and a new pool should be part of the existing largest sports centre which is the SETU Arena in Waterford and the location with largest population base in the Southeast. It continues to amaze me the self importance of the local politicians in Wexford who seem to their small county town is equal of a city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Nope, I'm not from Wexford, I'm just interested in what was driving the comment.

Not disagreeing that the (local) politicians have a lack of knowledge, but the parochialism that comes to the fore every time Wexford is mentioned is amusing. The 'city' status of Waterford seems to trump all other locations in the SE.

I do agree that until SETU is given the ability to hold its own destiny in its own hands like the longer established universities it will struggle to develop and to move away from being a glorified IT. But that is not going to happen anytime soon. The Government and in particular Harris has increased centralised control over third level and any developments of the TU's will be aligned with wider regional planning, hence the reason why there's a campus for everyone in the audience. No TU apart from TUD will be able to reach it's potential unless there's a sea change in government / departmental approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Azatadine

In fairness now, I don't think too many outside of Waterford would regard Waterford as being much bigger than Wexford though either. I agree with your statement on a pool. It certainly would be better suited to Waterford.

Post edited by Azatadine on

Bad day for SETU with news that teaching training cannot be located in TUs under new Government policy. Teacher training would have been a big win. Ominous for the other new course asks.

• Advertisement

So anyone in the SE looking to become a teacher needs to leave the region, I thought TU's were to retain people in the region, 😏

Is there any GOOD news coming from this s###show at all? The glass factory site still not fully bought. No engineering building, No money announced, no new buildings and papers today have news of 25m Euro each for universites for maintenance. We was robbed, seems to be the only fitting comment. To say that our government reps are pitiful is to state the obvious. And if anypne mentions that "gamechanger" word to me they will get a kicking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

It's not about regarding or how people feel about things though

Waterford City is around 2.5 times the size of Wexford town.

Unless we see buildings on these new sites then it's no news.

How long is carriganore there, 25 ish years? Not one teaching building ever built there despite a master plan back in the early naught's.

Unless serious funding is provided, then the new Wexford site and crystal site in Waterford could be idle for years to come yet.

The article above says "it's up to SETU now", it's actually not it's up to government as TUs are at the mercy of government funding, that said Wexford vote smartly so they should always have an ear to the government.

Had this set up have been a stand alone Uni then things would be massively different, and new buildings would be popping up far quicker then we will see with TU's

Plans approved for new €100 new business school in cork City centre for UCC

€25 million to redeveloped current UCC science building

All this in the space of a week! Some people still bang the TU Regional drum, unfortunately SETU will never get near UCC, UL etc..... instead of fighting for what the South East actually needed local politics was put first.

• Advertisement

No answer to that. Better ask John Cummins, he will surely know as it is an FG project, or maybe Mary Butler or Marc whatever his name is. Some of them might have an opinion or be able to tell us the truth.

Are you not able to spell a simple name like "Casey" when in its native form?

Indeed. Its his relatively anonymity as a TD I was trying to draw attention to, not his use of the O'Cathasaigh form. Perhaps you might comment on the substance of the post rather than diverting attention on other issues?

Has anyone asked the politicans the question whether a new Wexford campus is actually viable . I was talking to a staff member on the Waterford campus who is deeply invloved in the merger and he was saying that Wexford has struggled for student numbers they are desperate to spend money on promotion to attract students. He said that Carlow staff are dismissive of Wexford as its just seen as a drain on resources that should be spent in Carlow and there is a lot of bad blood between them.There should be a cost benfit analysis done before any money is spent in Wexford campus to see if it's worth building or whether it will be a white elephant.

• Advertisement

Something will be built whether its viable or not. WHat it will be is hard to say as questions about Wexford viability have always been acknowledged in Carlow. It will be interesting to see if a business case is demanded by SETU management or government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Valhalla90

It’s parish politics at play. SETU is an absolute joke and I hold no faith in it. Maybe one day we will see it dismantled and a sensible University of Waterford formed. It was a forced marriage that nobody wanted.

I agree it will still be built with no consequences as it's a just a political stroke.

Have to say, I haven't passed by Carlow IT for many years but drove by there yesterday. It's a significant transformation since last time I passed through. Clearly lots of investment. Did they knock down some buildings and rebuild from scratch or something. Pretty impressive and modern looking it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

While WIT was being strangled, Carlow IT was given free rein to build courtesy of Fine Gael politics. WIT was nearly destroyed by the system, including the HEA. Nothing new built there for nearly 20 years to stop the place developing. All sorts of reports and reviews commissioned about WIT finance etc and nothing wrong ever found. They tried to break the place. Still going on. Glass site still not bought.

I have been on site in Carlow a few times and the campus is much better than Waterford. It's a lot more student friendly with lots of hang out spaces and much more modern. They have built 6 new buildings in the last 15 years and have a massive new admin building under construction (Which I have no doubt was planned to be the TU HQ building when Patricia Mulcahy had been made President, which didn't happen thank God) There was nothing built in Waterford in the same period of time.

Yeah, I must say, it's a modern looking campus. I remember when it was a tired looking place. Not any more. Looks fantastic now.

Fine Gael and Fianna Fail and indeed Labour are all culpable in the attempt made over past 15 years to ruin WIT. I doubt if SF will be any better. All parties mindful of Dail seats and feck every thing else.

• Advertisement

I think the most significant thing to happen in any WIT campuses over the last 20 years was when an application was lodged 18 months to change the use of the Dome bar to offices!

Says it all really.

SETU strategic plan launched today.

https://www.setu.ie/uploads/banner/SETU-Strategic-Plan-2023-2028_2023-05-19-111506_ijey.pdf

A lot of waffle in there but there is a commitment in there to build a university quarter on the crystal site. Another thing I noticed is there is little or no mention of Kilkenny in there, all I could find was paragraph which kicks the can down the road.

7.3.4 Establish a working group, to include Kilkenny County Council and Kilkenny Chamber, to explore how SETU can support specific activity based in Kilkenny in a manner that creates beneficial additionality to our portfolio and is sustainable long-term

Nice to see they didn't bow to the political pressure for a campus with 1000 students that the Kilkenny county council were looking for

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/917721/kilkenny-council-to-seek-setu-commitment-on-major-faculty-with-undergrad-campus-in-city.html

What is this "university quarter", is that not what Carriganore is? The Walton Institute and arclabs.

The whole "University quarter" seems rather vague.

The 5 year strategic plans aims are building 50k square meters teaching space, surely 12k of that is the new eng building? Surely then a new campus in Wexford must be 20-30k square foot?

New buildings in Carlow and a new campus in Wexford. We will have to go through the final detail but I'm not convinced Waterford fares out to well

I know that but what is the University Quarter, is that not what Carriganore is supposed to be?

Carriganore has a research centre and many start up companies which to me is what a "University quarter" would be. So will be technically have two of those now?

There has been a lot of talk about a "University Quarter" but no substance to actually what it is.

Mary Roche on Twitter saying part of the five year plan is increasing students numbers from 19000 to 21000 over 5 years.

3k students between Waterford, Carlow and Wexford presumably, little to no expansion in that for Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

It's about politics not education, John Paul Phelan is not seeking re-election for Fine Gael at the next election so that leaves an open position. Fitzgerald is eyeing up that seat and getting in the paper with the message he is fighting for Kilkenny to get a campus could be a vote winner for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Valhalla90

Let’s be honest there is no ambition at all to develop a Kilkenny campus. Wexford is at the top of the que there, calling the shots. I can’t see it happening. This merger is a forced marriage from hell.

• Advertisement

More Kilkenny delusions,

So, he doesn't support an animation course because its in Waterford and he wants it in Kilkenny even though is no facilities in Kilkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

If Kilkenny is really in danger of losing it’s animation industry because of a course in Waterford it is fair to say Kilkenny’s animation industry must be on pretty shaky ground. I think a more likely scenario is Cartoon Saloon and Lighthouse Studios move to Dublin, London or California to develop further. Fitzgerald looks to be spouting the usual Waterford should not ever get anything rubbish you get from Kilkenny and Wexford politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Kilkenny Politicians absolutely love to throw shade on Waterford, every chance they get.

But but but "the southeast"

I have always said the southeast is only a thing when pulling services from Waterford or holding Waterford back.

His local "University" expanding surely positive for the "region" nope as it's no Kilkenny.

This lad is the modern day Phil Hogan

This such a prime example of parish pump politics, I listened to the interview, and he was all over the place. He did mention he objected to the Waterford crystal site purchase, and he was told to be quiet and wait of the strategic plan for the plan for Kilkenny. Why would he object to a badly needed new campus site in Waterford, is that not good for the southeast and only 40 mins down the road from Kilkenny. Also I hate the way the Sue Nunn is so soft on the interview and never calls him out on his BS.

Difficult to understand but not unexpected. A course developed with input from the very industry he references, 25 minutes down the road from his own town. We should remember that County Kilkenny starts on Waterford's doorstep and that people like John Paul Phelan availed of thrid level education in WIT as have thousands of Kilkenny and Wexford students.

As an aside, we should also remember that medics and some politicans in Kilkenny have consistently refused to support 24/7 cardiology in UHW. There is no sense in this stuff, only begrudgery, a local pol trying to make a nme for himself and a continuing obstruction to the deveopment of the university the region needs.

It's mad Ted.

• Advertisement

The devolved grant for universities was announced by Simon Harris yesterday. It funds maintenance & campus upgrades- in the austerity years it was cut to bone with Cork and DIT relatively protected.

Anyway, €20m pot for TUs. SETU ranks 3rd overall (behind ATU and TUD), but per head of student is way down, with only TUD behind it. TUD having a brand new Grangegorman campus funded by the Grangegorman Development Agency should not have too many maintenance issues.

It is really upsetting for people in SETU, we were told the merger would knock this kind of treatment on the head and that the Dept would treat us fairly. No sign of it yet.

Anyone who believed things would change were just silly, yes we will see some level of investment but nothing to what is required or to the level of stand alone Uni's.

They were pats on the back last week for SETU being allowed to proceed to the "next phase" for an extra 100 places in nursing, vet medicine and pharma.

The same day UL was announced as the new vet school, SETU had the lowest number of nursing places, we were even placed behind DKIT.

And to add insult to injury that's a reannouncement of funds that were already given and are being spent at the moment on the dome conversion into offices and a few bits and pieces around campus. And you have to remember that 3,4 million is split between 3 campuses so it's only 1.1 million per campus. The existing main buildings on the Waterford campus have been so neglected through lack of funding over the last 20 years that money would get you a really cheap dome refurbishment and maybe fix a few holes in the roof arounf the place.

Minister Harris has put a call out for research funding for the TU sector. Weird organisation of the fund- so one pot €20m that only Atlantic TU can pitch for, and then €63m for TUD, MTU, TUS and SETU to scramble over. Bizarre. Also, this is another clear indication that Minister Harris pushes Waterford to the back/mid of the TU queue for funding.

We probably need to have a more public discussion about the lack of action on making the TU meaningful. Thoughts anyone?

https://hea.ie/2023/07/06/minister-harris-launches-e83-68m-tu-rise-scheme-to-support-research-capacity-building-and-enterprise-engagement-in-the-technological-university-sector/

The creation of SETU has been a deeply dishonest and dysfunctional process since its inception. It has been cynically used to promote the leadership ambitions of Simon Harris in Fine Gael and little else. Seats for that party in the south east are all that matter. The failure to complete the purchase of the Glass factory or to build the engineering building which is on the cards for a decade and a half shows the extent of the ill will. Waterford has few friends in this process and our local TDs and senator, except Matt Shanahan, are desperate party hacks and slaves to Dublin. Even Mr Cullinane has been struck totally dumb on all Waterford subjects, including our hospital. He will sacrifice our city, SETU and UHW and all, to the greater political ambitions of Sinn Fein. I would dearly like someone to suggest what might be done next to move things on. We are in a difficult place..

• Advertisement
Advertisement