Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

According to the blurb with the team sheet Kilgallen has a hamstring strain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

1 Allan Dell (4)

2 Fraser Brown (138)

3 Lucio Sordoni (14)

4 Scott Cummings (102)

5 Richie Gray (98)

6 Rory Darge (28)

7 Sione Vailanu (16)

8 Jack Dempsey (35)

9 Ali Price (126)

10 Tom Jordan (21)

11 Jamie Dobie (50)

12 Sam Johnson (103)

13 Stafford McDowall (C) (53)

14 Cole Forbes (37)

15 Huw Jones (56)

Replacements

16 Johnny Matthews (46)

17 Jamie Bhatti (85)

18 Zander Fagerson (124)

19 JP du Preez (21)

20 Lewis Bean (37)

21 Matt Fagerson (91)

22 George Horne (95)

23 Domingo Miotti (18)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Glasgow seem to have gone pretty strong. Serious battle to come out with two points.

1 Allan Dell (4)

2 Fraser Brown (138)

3 Lucio Sordoni (14)

4 Scott Cummings (102)

5 Richie Gray (98)

6 Rory Darge (28)

7 Sione Vailanu (16)

8 Jack Dempsey (35)

9 Ali Price (126)

10 Tom Jordan (21)

11 Jamie Dobie (50)

12 Sam Johnson (103)

13 Stafford McDowall (C) (53)

14 Cole Forbes (37)

15 Huw Jones (56)

Replacements

16 Johnny Matthews (46)

17 Jamie Bhatti (85)

18 Zander Fagerson (124)

19 JP du Preez (21)

20 Lewis Bean (37)

21 Matt Fagerson (91)

22 George Horne (95)

23 Domingo Miotti (18)

• Advertisement

Not especially relevant but I don’t understand Glasgow’s logic at all. They should be planning for four games in the next four weeks at least (European semi final they expect to win, home quarter they expect to win, European final, league semi). Potentially a league final after that too.

Would have thought the Leinster approach in South Africa of academy prospects and a few senior players was way to go.

Let's trust we could do this.

Looking quietly at the teams, yes 5/6/7/8 (+ 2 bench players) is their strenght. otherwise we match or top them.

Props and halfbacks pairing is ours.

Our backs are not shabby even without Aki/Hansen

DeBuitlear/Illo/D.Murray have to play 3 years in advance on their developement

SHL is the impact player to counter their 6/2

Had a look at Munsters selection there, full team thankfully. One change from last week, an injury. I don’t know when the last time Connacht fielded a team unchanged or a team with one change but if it has happened at all in the last few years it hasn’t happened often.

Could be wrong but I get the impression that unless you are 100% the first day of training in the week you are ruled out whereas other teams give their players, especially key players, an opportunity to recover. This is the biggest game Connacht have had in years, whatever about Aki given how ably Forde has deputised, Hansen would nearly have to be admitted to hospital before I would rule him out.

The number of changes every game just doesn’t make sense otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Sceptic in me would think Bundee and Macks illness might have something to do with irfu minutes and the presumption that Glasgow would be weaker.

Assume that the illnesses are legit, Killgallen is a huge blow. When was the last time Ralston played? Would have been tempted to start Jennings instead personally.

Forde a week able replacement for Bundee though. Prendergast at 8 over Boyle is big too. A big game at 8 could do his RWC chances no harm at all, and thete Is a huge amount of needle in that back row with Murphy and Olivet (both outstanding last week).

I had the same thought to be honest. To rule the two of them out of the biggest game in years for “illness” in April and for it only to affect Aki & Hansen, it seems a stretch to me.

Ralston played in January, agree would have been tempted to go to Jennings too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Elsewhere I've read that Aungier is out for the same reason, but he missed the Cardiff game as well so that may be inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Is Bolton out injured. Was impressed by his appearance on the winger some weeks/months back but haven't seen him around squads again in a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Vomiting bug I gather. In which case they would never have been allowed to travel with the rest of the squad. They might have been given a chance if it had been a home fixture. Anyway, let’s stay positive and hope that the selected squad can deliver a big result 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That's an absolute disaster. It'll be our best performance of the season if we could get a draw or a LBP and a TBP. Glasgow doing us zero favours too.

Ah wouldn’t go that far. If Connacht are to be the team they want to be, competing with the best is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Will be a tough ask alright. I had expected Glasgow would go a small bit weaker. Doesn't make a whole pile of sense for them to go strong at this stage. A real pity about Mack and Bundee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Thats flipped things on its head. The only crumb of comfort I take is that subconsciously some Glasgow players have to be thinking about the coming weeks so if we bring a disciplined physicality early on it might have them thinking twice but if they get a head of steam early and it's the standard Connacht away day performance this could get ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There's no way IRFU would be managing game time for this match, when it could be their last game until August.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

• Advertisement

Interesting scenario if we only need one bonus point, if for example Munster lost but didn’t concede four tries.

There would be a temptation to go all out for four tries but you run the risk of losing by ten having turned down two kickable penalties as an example.

Not entirely sure what would be the way to go and obviously dependent on the scoreboard too. Think I would lean towards being aggressive in search of tries though.

Won’t be final game regardless as in play offs already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ah yes.

Still, Munster are fully loaded, plus there's a rest week next weekend. It wasn't IRFU

Let's take the tinfoil hats off and accept that the lads are sick at face value. The IRFU want Connacht to guarantee qualification for the Champions Cup (€€€) and to put up a good fight in the URC final stages. The whole system is setup to make players available for big games at the end of season.

Also, Andy Friend would have nothing to lose by having a moan to the media if there had been interference.

Most likely scenario is Sharks win, get 4 tries but fail for a + 20 margin

There we need 2 BP

Forde is not a drop of quality. I'm confident Ralston is revealing himself, could be now.

We might not be able to win but if we can't hold them between 7 and scoring tries, we're not ok for Champions Cup.

They are NOT full-strenght, but half! : LH, TH, SH, 9, -10-(so, so), 13, and back-3 are not their best

Andy friend hasn’t had a public spat with the IRFU in five years. Lam had them frequently. Not saying either approach is right but I find it difficult to imagine Friend calling out the Irfu under almost any circumstances. Especially at this stage when he has a foot out the door, no need to rule out future employment opportunities with Munster/Ulster.

It’s a strong Munster side who only conceded a bonus point try to the Stormers last week when they had the game won last week. Munster have had mixed performances over the last period but there’s a pretty reasonable chance they hold the sharks to three tries or less tomorrow. Would certainly expect the coaching staff and senior players have considered approach if it’s one bonus point required.

Irfu don’t want Connacht to qualify, as it will help them justifying Bundee’s move to Munster.. all part of the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Advertisement