Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month old bull aggressive?

• 16-04-2023 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi folks, about a year ago I had a very similar query and got some good advice here. I bought in some summer grazers for my very simple operation here. I though they were all castrated but observing one this evening, either he still has one ball still working or just wasn't castrated at all. The scrotum is very visible, not huge, but its there. He was steady mounting another bullock for a half hour and doing a pretty good job of it, this was no playing. He's just about to turn 12 months and is quite small, very unimpressive frame and has been completely quiet in all handling so far. However the steadiness of his mounting has me thinking he must definitely have lots of testosterone flowing. I presume its too late to get a vet to castrate? Or is that worth pursuing? Could a small bull be dangerous at 12 months? My plan is to keep him for another month or two and then offload him before any other behaviors develop. What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

You might just about get away with castrating at this stage, but get vet's advice first. Another option would be to get him banded. The band cuts off the supply of blood, and the whole lot drops off cleanly a number of weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Vet most likely would cut him. If you are worried of any risk, offload him. Man killed down my country on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

I’d bring him to the mart this week, getting a vet out will be the guts of €100. Tell the auctioneer that you’re not sure if he’s squeezed or not so that there’s no chance of him coming back to you.

The local auctioneer announces those lads as being a bit strong in themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does he have a bull neck developing yet?

If he is out in the field then vet can cut him. Might be too strong for anything else at this stage.

If he is small and behind the others then would you be best selling him on and either putting the money in your pocket or don't with a better match?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 feirmeoir101

No bull neck and he is very slight indeed, what are the possible negative effects of banding? Mart might be the best way to go and be done with it. Thanks all for the replies. Here's a photo of him anyway: the angle is deceptive, he's fairly small, prob 250-300kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭148multi

Is he mounting one particular animal all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

He looks squeezed to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

Looking at that photo, he doesn't seem to have enough for banding... The vet may be able to castrate a shrivelled ball, if he has one after an unsuccessful clamming. If you could handle him in the crush you might get an idea of what's there.

Yes, just mounting the same one repeatedly yesterday, quiet as a mouse besides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

Same as that, put him up crush and handle. If one side not done should be able to castrate at that kind of weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I wouldn't be so certain he's done if he's only that weight, they don't always have big stones. I did 40 suckler bred lads for a fella last week and they were all stronger than that, he leaves them until this time every year and they do be fine after it but it's dangerous enough doing them. Get someone to twist up his tail and go in behind him and have a feel is the only way to tell really or just ask the vet or local man that does it to take a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭148multi

Can you remove the one standing for ten days to a fortnight, then reintroduce.

To further confuse, the same bullock that was standing for the suspected bull the other evening was mounted by a different bullock this evening, a bullock that is definitely castrated. Is this a thing where a bullock will produce pheromones and induce others to mount him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes you can have a "gay" bullock that other bullocks will rise on from time to time. You many not any bull at all.

Thank you, yes that's what I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mammychicken

Loving this....best laugh I've had all weeks, hope it works out for you Feirmeoir!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Great animals to thrive if he not properly done.... Everyone has a different take.

Now 3 different fellas mounting the same bullock for those of you following this saga. Whatever deodorant he is wearing is working wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Starting feeding one 6 weeks ago that turned out to be strong. I bought him as a heavy store in the back end. He’s with a group of other bullocks and he’s putting them to Shame.

Id always try and buy them if I can. They put on weight and kill like a bull and Usually get them killed as bullocks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭MfMan

Does the original guy display an...errr.. .. "rod" otherwise, even when standing around, tussling or bunting about with others? If not, he may be in the clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See one of these type of boyos yesterday, one ball maybe not. One lot of stock had broken out and he was herding them back in. This boyo turned around and was challenging the farmer. Farmer had a good seven foot pole, so he must have had previous form. Certainly a candidate for the road out, early.

Advertisement