Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

There have been some awful bookings at EP over the years but Wolfe Tones must be the worst by a very very long shot. This isn't Siamsa.

This is the same festival I've seen Paul Buchanan, Mavis Staples, Gil Scott Heron, Robert Plant, David Byrne, George Clinton, That Petrol Emotion at.

Wolfe Tones, christ we need to start a petition to have them decommissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Felt like last year was my last year…after 13 of them. Didn’t get tickets this year and I feel validated by both the line up today and the comments. I’ve definitely made the right decision…the whole oh we don’t go near the main stage, so much else to keep us busy, it’s so much else than the music…well that doesn’t really cut the mustard anymore

With body and soul gone and left completely void of anything was criminal. The magic is gone. Straw that broke the camels back for me was the two johnnies being so high up on the line up last year.

i have loved these threads over the last number of years, the build up to the announcements, and there’s nothing like the posting in the week leading up to that Friday when your biggest problems are how many cans and how to get into the green car park.

And of course the post mortum after it full of the fear waiting to close the thread with bodhrandudes brilliant review.

it’s been brilliant everyone…and I hope everyone going this year has an amazing time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

The faux outrage over the wolfe tones is a bit laughable to be honest. The same kind of music that 98% of the country would sing at a wedding at 3 in the morning. I didn't hear about the same outrage when Kneecap filled terminus a few years ago, funny that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Granted it'll sell out in '24 but I'm sure the metrics of the resales will be interesting to read.

Come September sure I'll prob buy an early bird again in the off chance this year is a one off slump.

If this is the way they're going I think it's rational for them to make the split, have EP for pop and whatever relevant and then have a End of the road/ATN type fest for people that like a bit of indie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Good to see a birra consensus on 'ere for Sauron to click through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Didn't go see them either! Same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

@FrDublin hey there. Without giving too much away do you care to share any insight with the bookings this year?

Who you were looking for but perhaps fell through.

Possibility around whether there are further international band announcements and perhaps the music genre of the blurred out sub headliner.

Is there any surprises left for fans of indie/alternative music that isn't Irish based? Like an Electric arena headliner for example.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I couldn't give a rats about what they sing about or if some people might find them controversial/offensive or whatever. If I do end up going I'd probably go and see them even. I just think they are an extremely odd booking that stand out a mile on the lineup. As you mentioned in another post, 18-25 year olds seem to be the target market. IMO the Saw Doctors and the Wolfe Tones stand out in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Lots of negativity here today, and rightly so, but imagine in years to come being able to say you were there when the Wolfe Tones joined the Lightning Seeds on stage for a rendition of Three Lions. Will make the dross worth listening to.

• Advertisement

Also in regards to the blurred out act. I really couldn't even come close to making out any of the letters so fair play to anyone who is trying to. Only theory is that it looks like it's two words. The best guess I saw on social media was probably Fatboy Slim (who was terrible in 2013).

I would also wonder why have they included a blurred act? This is not the final poster so a new one will have to be issued. In the past whenever they have added a headliner or sub late they simply added them to the final poster (The Prodigy one that springs to mind). I reckon either a) it's an act that will be announced individually soon for whatever reason, before the next batch of acts comes out. Or b) they deliberately wanted to create a bit of mystery and show us there still is one (and only one) major act left to come.

Look how popular both currently are and I think you'll find your answer, whatever tent both will play will be absolutely rammed at EP and your honestly kidding yourself if you think any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

It not outrage from me I find it hilarious I've long gone from EP. But there's far more than 2% of the country who think the wolfetones are moronic beyond belief even when hammered at a wedding at 3am. Especially amongst seasoned festival goers.

Leaving their far less forgiving interpretation of them to one side (which Kneecap have parrallels with) at best they are exactly that what you say.. the nauseating shite you hear sung started by drunkest at 3 am at a wedding, **** it petition them to play wonderwall while yer at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It looks like EP broke that embargo rule with the Terminus headliner 999999999 as they are also Life Festival's Saturday headliner and I don't think its sold out yet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Similar to the 2 Johnnies and Vogue Williams podcast last year then. A question of perception whether a packed tent equals a good booking I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paddy2012

While I not think either of them were good bookings, in fact those kinds of acts ruin the festival for me for the organisers a full tent has to equate to a good booking so definitely depends on the lens you are looking through

Next year Mrs Brown's Boys play the music of Picture This. Electric Arena headliner. Sure its popular.

• Advertisement

When do the tickets go on sale. Need to make myself scarce in case habit takes over and I buy one by mistake.

Sur the rubberbandits played with crystal swing in 2010, anything could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭GentleHumour

I love EP. Has been best festival for years, and I’ve defended it no end. But this line up is a complete travesty.

I’ve tried to pull down through the line up, listening on Spotify, see if anything I don’t know in the sub tiers is decent…but Christ on a bike lads. There is some amount of ‘whisper / whiny lyric depressed teenager in the bedroom’ pop in there. Like, at least 5 acts. Knock off Billie Ellish stuff, or low rent Lorde, or C-class Taylor Swift tribute. Brutal. Add that to some instantly forgettable indie, and what are essentially novelty / gimmick acts (Wolfe Tones, Rick Astley) - it makes for slim pickings.

Mind & Body was terrible last year with the B&S curating and organising. Nothing going on and just kind of soulless.

Similarly since Terminus stage was added, the level of electronic acts generally has dipped badly. Where is Adam Beyer, Jon Hopkins, Ritchie Hawtin…Bicep? It’s all heavy Techno again this year. Same as last. Zero progressive / melodic house or melodic techno. Such an unimaginative curator for that stage / area.

My group of mates (age range 35 - 50) had been holding out to see what was added. They had tickets but consensus today was to ship them on and go to Beyond the Pale. Some already going to ATN.

Sad day. Perhaps a tad melodramatic, but so deflating seeing my favourite festival (and weekend of the year) turn to garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Wolfe Tones not even Lankum. Take the money first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Looking again it resembles a pisstake poster. Start with a few realistic big names, sprinkle in many unknown (to me) teeny acts and for the icing add in very random artists like Rick Astley and the Wolfe Tones.

Oh what fun we’d have had commending this satirist in 2014.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Could the blurred out band be The Frames? Can't be announced till after their Belfast/Cork gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

I see that I now have the option to sell on the ticketmaster app.

Just waiting to hear from the crew we normally go with before hitting the sell button.

Only Fred Again that would really appeal to me but he played last year? Shocking really. And I can't see him being as good on the main stage. His vibe suits a tent a lot better.

No big techno or dance acts? Unreal.

I doubt they'd be big enough or fit the asthetic of the other headliners tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I suspect wet leg for the blur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think my days of speculating lineups for this festival is over, over the last few months I've been dragging up lineups for festivals on around the same time in Europe but never in my wildest dreams did I think I was going to see that bill yesterday. Give or take I don't think the Saw Doctors is out of place in the bill as they do have an entertainment value.

The Kneecap Vs Wolf Tones argument, I saw Kneecap twice and they were fun gigs, at least Kneecap has that punk/hip hop energy thing going and everyone knows they take the piss out of themselves, religion and the government, but I wouldn't go and see them again as it would just be more of the same. Wolf Tones are simply bad musicians, they bludgeon their trad instruments and **** singalong anthems, would have preferred what was left of the Dubliners or even the Furies to the Wolf Tones.

If they were going the Irish Centric route, why not an entertaining crowd like the Flogging Molly. The Mary Wallopers should be good and will probably check them out. I think more thought could have went into the Terminus tent. Hopefully there will be a smattering of some acts added in the near future. Myself I will probably stay and still work the event for a couple of years yet but when I looked at that bill yesterday I went WTF!!!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement