Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2023 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I really want them to change the young rider classification. The way the sport is going more sub 25 year olds are now team leaders competing for the win at big stage raceas/GTs.

I think it should be lowered to 22/23 or even only riders in their first 2 years in pro peleton are eligible. There is no need for Remco or Pog to be wearing a young riders jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Think they need to switch to a grey jersey and over 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Neo-pro is a much better way to do it.

The white jersey is too often "the rider in 2nd on GC" jersey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah now! I’m 44 and haven’t a single grey hair.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lot of controversy picking up again about Pog’s Amstel win, apparently his bike change when he had the puncture 39km out was against the rules, his team car shouldn’t have been allowed through by the commissaires

https://sporza.be/nl/2023/04/20/wielerclub-wattage-tilt-zwaarder-aan-fietswissel-dan-aan-auto-van-van-vliet-heeft-de-uitslag-hard-beinvloed~1681979741493/

• Advertisement

I'm kinda with Benji on the Lantern Rouge podcast that Amstel has been a sh*tshow for a few years (the finish line cameras, MvP getting back on, now this). However, I like the irony of the race organisers defence of "I used to be a (race) cyclist myself"!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Do you think if those things were done the proper way that the result would have been different? I certainly don't.

It's a case here of a guy being so good that people want to find any way to have a go.

I actually think the bike change may have influenced the outcome. The car should've been a good way back.

I think if he had to wait for his team car behind the peloton, instead of being able to instantly hop off form the break that had 40 seconds over the peloton, swap and get back into it, then yes it absolutely could have changed the outcome. He wouldn’t have been able to attack from 30km out, he’d have had about a minute if not more gap to the break to close.

I don’t disagree that he blew the entire field out of the water but it’s not exactly a minor thing like drafting a car for a couple of seconds

I'm sure you seen what he did to VDP and Wout a couple of weeks ago. He'd have no problem getting back up and winning easily. The distance he won by was with him taking it easy for the last 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’m not sure “he would have won anyway” is the point though. Either they have rules or they don’t.

I wouldn’t like to see him lose the race, but there should be some official acknowledgement of the stuff they got wrong. It doesn’t have to be the most drastic of sanctions, but just shrugging and saying “it doesn’t matter” doesn’t feel right

I'm not disagreeing with that and in a close race it'd be very serious.

I'm just making the point that he'd have won anyway so it's not really just as important.

Anybody saying he wouldn't have won only for those things is clutching at straws I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

If you don't address it now regardless of how it affects a result then it's just a ticking clock to the time when it does make a difference. Not to mention things are bad enough without making life easier for the likes of Pog. You would think cycling of all sports would have learnt not to be so deferential to the bigger stars.

I'm agreeing with you that it shouldn't happen and should be addressed.

I'm just saying it didn't affect the result of the race as some people are suggesting.

If he was a minute back, it clearly could've meant he didn't win. Healy wasn't that far behind/ that much weaker at the end. I've no doubt he could've got back up, but at what energy cost? I think, even with Pog, that it's a leap that it didn't affect the outcome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Plus group might see he's behind and hammer it even more. He'd have to get through a bit more traffic, the chase itself can make a rider take a little risk they mightnt otherwise. There's no guarantees

Do I have to go and reference the Tour of Flanders where he passed everybody in front of him like they were standing still. The only danger to him was VDP but he dropped him as well and rode on to a comfortable enough victory. There was nobody close to the standard of VDP in the Amstel Gold. Wout and Peterson finished over a minute back. There was nobody in the Amstel Gold of their standard.

Ben did very well to finish 38 seconds back but Pog was taking it easy for at least the last 5k. Everybody else was over two minutes back.

Don't forget we are not talking about a human, he's a marvel comic character.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah, you still can't say with any certainty that he would have won. So many other factors could have come into play. He was able to get a bike change where he shouldn't have and it was right before a climb too. Yes he's superhuman, but if rules are going to be in place, use them

I am in agreement with the laws being used properly.

I'm just saying that in this instance it would not have changed the result. Anybody thinking that it might have changed it is deluding themselves.

Pog has beaten the best of the best classic riders in the last few weeks. None of them were in this race so he was winning without any extra help.

You'd think Pog should win this one but with Remco just back from altitude he could be really dangerous in this one.

Looking forward to watching this unfold. Hopefully Ben can make the podium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Remco broke the strava kom for la redoute yesterday, although it was immediately flagged for moto pacing. Expect him to put the hammer down there tomorrow and try redo what he did last year

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's smart of him to practice moto pacing. He is gonna need it against Pog and his Shimano car super domestique 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Remco has gone full white! 🫣

Vollering is something else, could have won that any way she wanted.

Just back in from my own spin and i see pogi has abandoned!

His first ever DNF from a crash in the pro peloton

Healy Is a serious contender now I think.

Healy is the only EF rider near the front of the Peloton

He's there so he doesn't miss a break. Reminds me of Pog sitting behind Jumbo before he had a decent team. It's a smart thing to do.

Just to clarify I'm not suggesting that he is of the same class as Pog. I'm simply saying it's smart to stay near the front.

• Advertisement

meant that i was more surprised Powless or Chaves weren't there as well.

Advertisement