Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GerUpOttaTa

Our retirement age here is ridiculously high. Also men/women who have worked hard labour jobs their whole life should be entitled to a state pension before some lad who sits in front of a computer all day long. You can only admire the French they stand up for what they believe in and fight for what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

You are so wrong about this they can hold it what they cant do is continue to throw it into the blackhole that is our spending and bring our spending back into line into what is reasonable. Do I need to start going through the amount of waste we have had to endure from governments over the last 2/3 decades alone?? Do I or will I just say one phrase and leave it at that? "National Children's Hospital" I don't think I even need to post a link or explain any further. Its an expensive business because of how governments have been bought by vested interested groups and they are prioritized over the individuals working in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

Out of curiosity, have you done the calculation on the amount the government would hold for you until you retire?

Do you think you would live with that?

When your working and paying tax their is a social contract that if you work hard for x amount of years and paying y amount of tax you will be looked after if you lose your job (temporarily hopefully), you get sick and cant work and when you retire as someone pointed out no point retiring when your hitting 70 and immobile, sick and full of all kinds of conditions meaning your limited in your life. It would not be hard to go Jimmy here worked 40 years has paid in a million in tax in that time lets get the average life expectancy of a male and pay him back 30/40% of what he paid in and break it down over the years he has left if he lives longer then he is still covered by the other 60/70% he has paid into the system. If we could get the spend under control this would be very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The rest of Europe will have to up the age too, state pensions are a ticking time bomb, people have a lot of trouble accepting it. People are living longer its a simple fact and people will need to work longer to pay for it, you can retire whenever you want but you'll have to pour money into an AVC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 mingkim

We will have a 16 BILLION SURPLUS at the end of the year..country is flying it ....trouble is government is blowing it all on stupid contracts like overpaying the children's hospital...another one is the tolls contract ...some idiot in government signed a contract stating if not enough vehicles used the tolls that THEY would make up the shortfall...this ended up costing millions to the taxpayer...and during covid when the guards forced everyone off the toads .guess who were still manning the tolls? Guess who still had to make up the shortfall in cars using the tolls....yes you guessed it...blowing money right left and center puts it mildely...they have the money ....they just mismanaging it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭downtheroad

We will not have a 64 billion budget surplus at the end of this year. Fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mingkim

16 billion ..I mistyped and edited but you had answered before I edited .sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its the same in pharma, absolutely crying out for staff and they just keep expanding and building more and more. I got 14% raise last Christmas plus my bonus and Im just a regular operator. The latest plan in our place is to start giving us raises every time we refer someone externally and they get hired, its pure desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Well the place I work which is one of the biggest sites in the country just dropped the requirement for a science degree if you have manufacturing operations experience but any biotech or science qualification would do you, or just do a one year Springboard course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭brickster69

I agree with you that people living longer is a part of it but with this " shadow banking " set up where these institutions are not as strictly regulated as banks gives concern that over the last decade or so might well of been taking risks which might not of turned out as well as hoped.

The BOE have been scrambling around the last few months trying to do stress tests on these institutions but it seems they have sorted out the banks and just let the other half to crack on.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

69 billion USD of outflows from money market funds in a week, the highest since 2020.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

Is it really that shocking? Most of these morons in government are only there because Mommy or Daddy was a TD or some other political position. These assholes have never worked an Honest to God job a day in their entire lives. And it shows with stuff like this. They won't be happy until the people who can vote with their feet start voting with their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Those at the topish are the moral police. The middle aspire to be at the top and follow the rules. Can't say this, can't do that, etc.

Punching down is horrible and punching up gets you fired. Work from home is great as staff don't unionize and become units that can be easily fired. This is 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How the fúck are they going to have paid tax for 45 years at age 60?

Oh and the vast majority of 70 year olds are fit and active, these days

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I had down 40/45 years some people hit the work force after the junior cert.

So you must be in the know with regards to all of the HSE account info on how all of our nations 70+ year old individuals are with regards to their fitness and health (can you share your findings on this) no doubt your a member of the green party like Eamo who thinks the over 70s can bike it into city centers from rural Ireland sure its only 10/15k and if it rains ahh sure feck it they can use one had for an umbrella, if they have a friend sure they can give him/her an E.T if they have groceries to get ah sure they have two hands , umbrella in one and groceries in the other and they can free wheel home with the mate on the handle bars. The country is an absolute joke.

The fact is at 70 and you can research this my friend no matter how well you have lived your life your not at strong, fit, active, mobile or flexible as you were say 10 years previous even 5 years previous. No one should be working after 65 years of age if they have paid in 40 years + worth of contributions through our very high income tax rates they should be allowed to have some life where they are not a host working their balls off for a parasitic state that will just waste the money. The money the individual pays in should actually be set aside for the individuals retirement about 30/40% of it and the individual should be allowed have a few years where they may be able to actually enjoy life while they can before the onset of differing diagnosis that happen to our over 65s. All you have to do is research the age differentials and the upping in number of cases in each as medical advances allow people to live longer when it comes to diseases like cancer, dementia, alzheimers, just because they can live longer it does not mean their quality of life is amazing in fact in a lot of cases the people with the disease and those looking after them are praying for the end so they are out of pain but sure at least they will be at peace knowing that instead of having a few years to actually live without having to work their asses off they have paid into the black hole that is our finances

G7 considering a blanket ban of exports aside from essential food and medicines with an estimated 66 billion USD loss of sales for exporters.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Whilst I agree the retirement age shouldn't have gone above 65 I do think people should have the choice to continue to work up till 70.

I'm looking forward to (early) retirement myself but not everyone hates working.

My old man loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Blather.

Instead of addressing the points made you have a go at the poster. "no doubt your[sic] a member of the green party" Talk about juvenile

The post was in response to another poster calling for retirement at age 60, which is just plain stupid.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

Where did I have a go at you. I had a go at what you may think and then blew your argument out of the water. If someone is 60 with 40 years of paying high income tax why should they not be able to retire on 30/40% of the cash they have paid in tax. I think its reasonable why should your hard earned money be spent on everything else like p1ss poor services that you have to pay again to access. The current way we spend our tax take in this country is plain stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Because there's too many old people and that's going to get worse.

Your choice is more immigrant workers, and working longer (likely a combination of both) or our pension system collapsing in a heap.

You can retire when you want if you pay your own way, but don't expect access to the State pension at 60, it's not going to happen. You should save yourself some bother and reconcile yourself to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

I'm hopeful that with the rise of AI whose development only seems to be increasing in pace recently. Will do away with most jobs and allow people to live lives of leisure rather that slaving away at some bullshit job until they are too old to do it anymore or simply drop dead in work.

For those who think this is fantasy Nvidia have forecast in eight years that with their technology, large language models or other AI models will be able to have a million times more computational ability available to them.

I saw one expert say that the 2020s will be considered the age of AI. I hope that is true because I no longer have faith in humanity to manage society any more.

I like the work of the author Ian M Banks sci-fi culture series where he envisages a society governed by hyperintelligent machines that are benevolent and look after people allowing them to follow their dreams.

The Culture series is a science fiction book series written by Scottish author Iain M. Banks. The series is set in a post-scarcity utopian society called The Culture, which is comprised of a diverse array of artificial intelligences, humanoid aliens, and humans who live in a society where technology has eliminated most physical and emotional hardships.

Post edited by Antipathetic on

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

France has loads of migrant workers. Changes nothing.

The solvency of the French pension system would be much worse without foreign workers. As would ours.

It's a hard, uncomfortable fact, but it's true.

Countries like Japan and South Korea are heading for very very rough times with the shape of their population pyramids. If you want to see what happens to a developed economy with falling birth rates and an aversion to immigration, you just need to keep your eyes on those countries. It's not going to be fun for them.

That is an extremely optimistic view. That AI will just lead to the betterment of life for all in society.

A dystopian outcome seems more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

In other words it ain't the silver bullet it's made out to be. Dont forget they need pensions too.

Nope, it's that countries like Japan and Korea will (and are) experiencing far more severe negative economic and social effects due to their almost outright rejection of immigration.

If you've ever been to Japan, you'll notice that you'll see lots of people in their 70s and 80s working in convenience stores and other forms of work because their pension system is already almost shattered. Old age poverty is a large and growing problem, and both countries already have by far the highest rate of elderly still in the workforce in the developed world.

Immigration is of course not a silver bullet, but if the "build the wall" characters get their way, forget about pensions and cocktails on the beach at 60 (or even any year of your 60s), you'll be working until they put you in the ground. It's a hard reality that people need to reconcile themselves with.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jan/22/elderly-hurry-up-die-japanese

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

That's what I think ...but I'm aware I'm a natural pessimist most of the time...

What are you basing that opinion on....just a gut feeling or is it informed by anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

Aso was some loose cannon😂

He liked to shoot from the hip and apologise later!

There's something wrong with a system that leads to attitudes like that towards old people imo....

Advertisement