Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

Anyone know if stand tickets are going to be released for this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

No covered stand tickets for sale, a limited number of uncovered stand tickets on sale in Breffni park this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Be full of Armagh season ticket holders I'd say

Any word lads have we a full squad to pick from ?

• Advertisement

Is Tommy Galligan on the New York panel?

Team named, expects lots of positional changes.

Raymond Galligan

Killian Clarke

Padraig Faulkner

Jason McLoughlin

Ciaran Brady

Oisin Kiernan

Gerry Smith

Gearoid McKiernan

James Smith

Conor Brady

Dara McVeety

Jonny McCabe

Cian Madden

Paddy Lynch

Oisin Brady

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Yeah and wouldn't be surprised to see changes from the starting 15 with Carolan for example named on the bench. Strong bench too. Tough on Finnegan and David Brady maybe but that's the life of the manager i suppose. Conor Smith, Martin Reilly, Carolan and Conor Madden can all make big impacts off the bench and Tiarnan Madden and Boylan have lots of pace and McKenna is big and powerful to make an impact too.

Buzzing for this. Cavan by three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Will Oisin Kiernan play? I thought he missed the entire League. I can see Carolan coming in for him.

Has McCabe done enough to start? I thought Tiarnan Madden would be ahead of him.

I’d expect Conor Brady to go to midfield and Gearoid onto the square.

I have a lot of worry that there’s over confidence in Cavan. It’s bad enough when two of the lads on WAC back us but they even got Brennan on for the preview and he is too!

Yet again we hear this is the defining game for Cavan. I believe we heard that before the Donegal game last year and the Tailteann Final. Sooner or later one of these games is going to have to be accepted as defining our standard.

Why would anyone care what those lads say, i wouldn’t listen to them, it’s bad enough having to listen to their commentary. Sure isn’t every big game a defining game. I hope the players are confident of winning, there’s no point going out to play thinking they’re going to lose.

• Advertisement

Pub talk with odd interview? What are you expecting, Mickey Graham to be in every week to tell us the tactics for the next week? Anyway if ye don't listen to it how do you know how bad it is?

Minors started the day with a big win in Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Nothinb wrong with pub talk. Sure isn't this forum essentially tha.

I find their stuff interesting. They’ve had some very good journalists on lately, the bulk of whom are also tipping Cavan.

Therein lies my issue - is it a bit like more than half the country tipping Antrim to beat Cavan last year and then they were ambushed?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

God lads that was awful. Painful first half to watch. Timid in the tackle, slow build up, fumbling and then the Hail Mary from outside the scoring zone. They looked like a poorly prepared outfit that only began to try to play when Armagh had the game won. Armagh snuffed-out the dangermen and then took an unassailable lead which was never threatened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Showed them too much respect,as though they've won ulster in recent season's.they won't go far either,sitting in inviting us on, not killing us off with a 9 point lead.

A very average team, no more or less than ourselves.

The 16 wides were a killer, game was over at half time. Is McVeety injured, he was anonymous along with James Smith. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Shooting was embarrassing at at times, tackles terrible in the first half

Can't understand how mcveety was at 11 after playing so well in the league at 6.

So disappointed and so Wet

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I don't know if that was the worst ever but was nearly most depressing. I thought use of subs shocking. How some players stayed on for so long and in some cases all game defies logic. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Well that was a miserable night all around.

The disaster of playing division 3/4 football the last two years was shown tonight, We couldn't live with Armagh's intensity, we also had no idea how to break down their properly structured blanket defence,

Our slow lateral transition from defence to attack, will go nowhere against top 10 teams.

There was also no running game at all to break the Armagh defensive line.

Our full back line as usual was left at sea, there's no defensive structure in place,there might be an extra man back,but there's still oceans of space.

Compare the space ,Turbitt/ Murnin had compared to Paddy Lynch everytime they received the ball.

People will quote the 15 plus wides,but most of those were efforts take from well outside the scoring zone, because lads were surrounded with no options.

It was dire stuff even though there were some very good individual performances by players and some moments of real quality,Overall, A night to forget.

• Advertisement

A terrible performance and it had the feel to me of and end of the road for this team and out with a whimper. So disappointed in the first half. We set up playing cowardly conservative football, it's knock out lads you have to go for it. It was just embarrassingly bad. I reckon Armagh scored maybe 1-3 off unforced errors by us in that half. And then with the game mostly lost we come out fighting! Yet atrocious shooting and decision making cost us. You can argue we shot from outside score zone or under pressure but for me at least half those wides should be scored. Madden should also have buried the goal. We showed just how average Armagh are. Right now I've no interest in this Tailteann cup. We were a shambles today and I was really banking of Graham having us ready to tear inti Armagh, I was totally wrong on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Sadly I agree with all of this, we have finally had our defining game for this team, 2020 was the apex and it’s been a slow death since then despite a few gallant dying kicks

In fairness there has been a serious lack of respect shown to Armagh. Everyone and anyone was tipping us before the game - it was never going to end well.

I wouldn’t be fooled by the second half. The game was over at Half Time. Cahair O’Kane described it well on Twitter - “a five point hammering”. Armagh dropped the intensity second half as they could.,

I’d agree with a poster above that it is hard to see where the team go from here, and the management for that matter.

Key decisions were wrong again today - Oisín Kiernan made mistake after mistake because he clearly wasn’t match ready. Tiarnan Madden should have started. Gearoid needs to stop drifting out the pitch as he slows down the play too much. Speaking of which, why can our players not transition the ball at speed?? As Murphy said on GAA Go commentary, always a bounce or solo extra.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Gearoid wasn't drifting out the pitch, he was basically playing in midfield for the whole match bar maybe the 1st 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

That was sad stuff yesterday evening,it’s hard to see how we would go anywhere in the Tailteann cup after that…I was thinking the first half against Fermanagh was a warning sign but last night was the 1st half in croker and worse.

As mentioned…Far to many wides,far to many 50/50 balls…and when nobody was available fire for a point!

😄 a couple off lads who couldn't solo a ball charging gullible edgits for their expert analysis. I heard enough from that type last night and it didn't cost anything.

Desperate stuff yesterday hard to know if the players will have appetite for the tailteann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭rrs

Very poor. Far too slow and ponderous. Armagh moved the ball far better off less possession. Turbitt with another quality performance. I was surprised to see Johnny McCabe start over Tiernan Madden but over calls were strange too.

Point was he shouldn’t be anywhere near there. He needs to go in full forward or not play at this stage.

I watched the game back last night on GAA Go and was shocked by a lot of the play. Even when a forward made a good run and there was space to pop the ball into them, we took the wrong option.

There were times when a simple ball from one side to the other, would have left a player in a lot of space.

Given how long they have known the opposition and the amount of Armagh games from the League that were on TV, it’s inexcusable how poorly prepared we were. Ciaran Brady mentioned training since last September/October - for that!?

I didn’t expect to win but I expected to at least put up a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

This is it hi.

Training this six months and this is what they offer up.

I don’t know. What was the gameplan? Once you nullify cavans main players they are like lambs to the slaughter.McVeety & James Smith were totally snuffed out & sure once that happened the result was inevitable.

What about Graham? Should he walk the plank? I don’t know.

Showing Too much loyalty anyway to some boys who played well in 2020 & have done nothing since.

• Advertisement

I accept what you are saying, I just thought your initial post implied Gearoid himself had decided to wander out to the middle while I'm pretty sure he was told to play there by his manager.

Advertisement