Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the worst thing YOU have done in work?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

When I was 21 I forgot to include a zero when writing down a batch lot number on a QC sheet which meant an £4k batch of contact lenses couldn't be traced, and as a result was destroyed. I was pretty embarrassed with myself for a while afterwards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

As a former public auditor and insolvency practitioner, I'd say it is pretty hard to find an employee who has not committed theft against their employer, the only question is to the degree of the crime. And everyone one of them will have very good reasons to justify it, everything from trivialising the size of the items stolen to claiming they are under paid.

Take the people who load up on pens and pads to bring home to the children - sure it's only a couple of pens and a few pads... Well yes, but if 50 people do that every week it's at least two or three bails of pads and a couple of boxes of pens. And of course if those pens and pads are on headed stationary it also includes the cost of printing. In one case I remember a managing partner in a certain well known accounting firm sending out a memo begging people to return the pads because they were expensive and they had actually out! He even bought cheap pens and pads and asked people to please steal these instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

When senior unlikable bods visit they often do a walkabout like in a zoo. Disgusting practice and demeaning. Before the walking about I will put my hand down my trousers and have a good rub of my ballsack, gooch and anus area before I shake hands with these ‘bigwigs’

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

Try a container full of Coke concentrate, That was set at -18 instead of plus 18 by the time it go to its destination it was frozen solid in the tank ,Wort around 250k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Changed every phone number in Dublin to the same one. Was just learning sql.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was doing a transfer to supplier before about 10k, I put in an extra zero so it was about100k instead and it went through. Problem was there was about 103k in the account so I basically cleared it, it was a small company. Every single direct debit bounced, cheques to suppliers bounced, took over a week to get the 90k back. Absolute disaster it was, family business so couldn't really fire me but it was a tense **** week let me tell ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

giving a fcuk!

While it's not quite in the emotion of the thread title, I do understand what you mean (into my 11th hour working). You're right and I'm a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pretty amazing what a keystroke of an extra zero caused. We laugh at it now, had to get an emergency overdraft facility and all.

• Advertisement

...well i answered the question posed, and honestly to, many companies and work colleges couldnt give a flying fcuk about you, and will simply jump on your back as soon as they get a chance....

And I answered your response in what I thought was in a non aggressive way.

I've also never worked in a company like that.

jesus, theres some truly toxic work environments out there, and some complete arseholes running them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Stayed 6 years in a job in dopey companies when I should have left after 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭apache

Spent the last 18 years doing that in same job. Couldn't take it anymore. It's all I know. Off now nearly 4 months. Haven't a clue what I'm gonna do. The unknown is scary.

Not uncommon. You can get comfortable and scared of change.

you wont regret it, lifes way too short, you ll figure it out, best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭apache

dont be afraid to retrain, go back into education etc, it ll be a blessing in the end, you wont regret this step into the unknown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The second 6 year (may have been more to be honest) job I just resigned to force myself to change. Was a pain getting a new job, but it was worth it to get out of a rut.

Maybe it's your lousy attitude that is causing the employers and companies you work to be an arsehole towards you? Definitely doesn't seem like you'd have much initiative if not supervised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Most of them. And so the appropriate responses are what are in this thread.

You have to preserve a little self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Boards was a very different place back in 2014.

Romance is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

Almost burnt down the library in Ucd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭onrail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Maybe im wrong here but arent most workplaces toxic with no team spirit, cliques and nobody communicating with each other? Maybe a few start ups with mostly young workers may have a fun environment but when you get on a bit you just want money to pay the bills.

Ive worked all over Ireland in engineering industry, both office and factory based, and the people i work with are typically 30s to 60s and just want to get in, get out and get paid. There is no social element, you only talk to people on an as needed basis and if you are half decent at your job you get a promotion and more money. Your hobbies and family outside of work are whats important, not some stranger you share the same work carpet with.

Ive never seen a work social club, lotto, after work drinks culture etc. I just presume this is the norm and there is a lot of naivety in young workers these days..these American tv shows where everyone loves each other have a lot to answer for! That is not realistic.

• More or less every kitchen I worked in has been semi social at least and quite social at best imo

In one hotel the staff regularly enough went on nights out etc every year they had a Christmas party and the likes (I never went cos I’m anti social generally lol)

the kitchen I’m in now we’re all friendly to one another will chat throughout the day etc it’s definitely not just get in get paid and go home even if that’s exactly what we’re all thinking 😎

that said if you work in hospitality and especially food service you HAVE to talk to each other a lot and the easiest way to get comfortable doing that is idle chatting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

I was an apprentice electrician at the time and the we were installing a new PA system in Ucd. Just me and 1 other apprentice. Had to do it at night. First night we went in to start ripping out the old system. The amp power in it was located in a locked room in the basement and the project manager couldn’t get hold of the maintenance guy with the key to go in and turn it off. Think it was a 24volt system. So he told us to go ahead ripping it out and he’d sort out the amp. Off we went and ripped out the first couple of floors apart from a couple of speakers in a locked corridor on first floor I think it was. Finished up and never thought of the amp again. Woke up to a very animated project manager saying there was a fire. And end of a cable must have been left shorted out and over time one of the missed speakers went on fire and literally melted down the wall. Was only by the grace of god it was in a corridor and not near any books or it would have been a disaster of epic proportions. The ancient fire alarm never even went off either😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

Not my story - but a few years back some clients of ours, associated with Limerick GAA were involved with a local draw for a new car at a well known dealership

the draw is being streamed live… and there they all are, GAA/main dealer/other staff… all waiting for one man to spin the drum and pull a winning ticket.

so poor auld Mr. S starts to spin the drum. Not realising that the ONE JOB he had was to lock the little hatch/door on the underside

as it spins, the tickets fall out the arse of the drum (streaming live remember), flying around in the wind, as mr old school can be heard exclaiming ‘oh fffk’ and ‘cut… cut’

funniest thing I’ve seen in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That was much appreciated. .

Though you can stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Put the wrong label on thousands of lipsticks. I was a factory floor worker making cosmetics. Every label had to be peeled off by hand, there was no faster way to do it

You would think I´d get cursed out of it.

My team loved me as we got the easiest overtime ever. Sit around a table on a factory floor for hours on a Saturday morning and chatting and "guess the movie" and other games n´such. Easy overtime ca-ching and then to the pub in the afternoon! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Copied thousands of others by, on occasion, actually doing sweet f-all, "during working from home" durations,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's also impossible to find an employer who hasn't routinely stolen from their employees. I worked in shops hotels and bars and every one of them expected me to keep working for free after I stopped getting paid if there was work still to be done

And for salary workers it's just written into the contract that overtime will never be paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah yes, forgetting the where clause.

Thank **** for backups

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Then there was the day I chucked orange peel in to the recycling bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

When I worked in a call center, we used to wear a headset that was connected to the phone and you'd be often holding or fiddling with the wire while you were on a call just out of habit, but it used to connect/disconnect fairly easy just by using your thumb

Whenever I had an awkward/negative call I didn't want to deal with halfway through I'd just disconnect it and the line would go dead, the other person wouldn't be able to hear me and i couldn't hear them though the call was still ongoing, I used to say 'hello? hello? can't hear you anymore now I'm going to have to hang up..'

after probably cutting 100 calls over the space of a month they called me into the office and suspended me with pay for a week, then gave me my job back because I admitted it and apologised :V...

i walked out of there one morning not long after. have been self employed and travelling ever since , so it was a good idea after all!

• Advertisement

• they could expect to spend an awful lot of time in the WRC these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I did that to a smaller degree but was embarrassing because of the context.

A guy in work was involved in fundraising for a sick friend and I agreed to give 500 euro from the company. I mistakenly transferred 5000 euro and only copped when the employee got a thank you call or message saying it was so generous and he came into me saying I transferred 5k.

Now its not my company but I can make decisions like that for 500 but had to ask for the 4500 back as it was a mistake. I was horrified but it wasn't my money to give. At the end of the day 500 was still a decent donation I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,000 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

1) being too flexible, against my better judgment.

&

2) staying there too long when I could see things were deteriorating fast for me and around me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I farted in a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

I had an interview once for a higher position in my job

During the said interview i had a small stapler in my hand , Somehow during the interview under the table i accidently put the staple directly into the palm of my hand,

I had to keep a straight face & once the interview was over i had to leg it & get the staple remover to get it out of my hand, my shirt was covered in blood ,

I got the position too,

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

A guy I worked with at the time thought it would be a good idea to floor two bottles of red wine consecutively.

Needless to say when it hit his stomach it made for disturbing viewing.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I can especially relate to the second point. I was too dumb to see the writing on the wall back in 2010 when most of the senior staff members in my old department took retirement en masse. It was a downward spiral after that when the effects of the recession started kicking in. I only managed to finally free myself from that toxic environment for good in 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Every day when I would come back from lunch I would throw my leftover change, copper coins in my drawer.

Whenever it was someone who was a c*nt's birthday and their card went round. As soon as nobody was looking, would take a fist full of these copper coins and put it in the collection envelope.

Nobody would remove the copper coins for fear of being accused of stealing. So inevitably the birthday person would have to open the card on front of everyone and the copper coins would all fall out, at this point I would turn to the person beside me and say: "ahhh who did that?" in a disapproving manner.

Thinking back now, god I must have been really bored working there, if this was the kind of thing I was doing for amusement.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Well nobody had the balls to say anything, would have just laughed at them anyway if they did

• Advertisement
Advertisement