Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Rule makers have ruined the game.

With VAR now there's no excuse to be penalising accidental stuff.

Anybody who has played the game even in the park would know almost 100% whether someone was trying it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The handball rule is so broken.

One farcical penalty apiece so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tuchel is a bit of a numpty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

that handball rule is so open to manipulation. just blast the ball at a defender and hopes it catches his arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

For a skinny vegetarian he seems to have a lot of anger issues

• Advertisement

yeah, the turf is fairly ripping up whatever they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

A few of the City lads wouldn't look out of place in wrestlemania

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Grealish sure does know how to buy a freekick.

what are city at, going to the corner and time wasting when up 4-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter-Final 2nd Leg Results

Chelsea FC (ENG) 0 V 2 Real Madrid CF (ESP) (Agg 0-4)

SSC Napoli (ITA) 1 V 1 AC Milan (ITA) (Agg 1-2)

FC Bayern München (GER) 1 V 1 Manchester City FC (ENG) (Agg 1-4)

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) 3 V 3 SL Benfica (POR) (Agg 5-3)

Semi-finals

AC Milan (ITA) V FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Manchester City FC (ENG)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Humiliated Bayern and they're not even top of the premier league (yet). Maybe Real will stop them but they're not favourites and the tie being over two legs gives Pep less of a chance to do something stupid.

Another step towards the premier league being the outright dominant league in the world, and Newcastle haven't even got going yet. Arsenal haven't played in this competition in 8 years and will probably be looking to go far next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

Pep's city bore me.

Hopefully Ancelloti can stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Hopefully Real can see off another Premership side. Referee was very weak on the time wasting antics, Ederson should have seen red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Think I said Inter would beat Benfica several times, as the "smaller teams" always seem to come out the wrong side of these draws, even when fancied and playing well. Before that again, I said Benfica were a step up from Porto, as a ball playing team, which they are.

And Inter will be heading straight into the Milan meat grinder!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It should be the final, Real Madrid v Manchester City. The winner of the tournament will come from that tie.

Milan love being wrote off, they'll do a job on both on the break.

City will always come undone against a blanket defence in this tournament, they don't have that ball through the eye of a needle pass when it really matters at the highest level, they just haven't faced it this year.... yet

Ah you’ve said a lot of things. The thing is if you say lots you’ll be right sometimes eventually.

I have to have a look at Inter v AC Milan.

With City v Real Madrid, I like to have a bet but will wait to see injuries updates.

I have City backed a while ago to win it out but that tie v Real Madrid is a toss up.

Who’s your pick at this stage to win it out.

Milan. Originally had an each way bet on them, but think they could go all the way now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I put City favs. I think they will sneak past Madrid.

Final with Milan will be a 2 nil.

Will stick with Man City. If it’s not them would prefer Inter to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would say inter definitely favourites to beat Milan which is a pity because Milan are more likely to make the final at least look like a contest.

Ironically the final is in Istanbul so if City make it we will see a role reversal with the unfancied Italian side beating a local rival to make a surprise final against an English super club.

Of course if Real make it we could have both Carlito and Milan facing off in the stadium of their shared woe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

They got a couple of brilliant goals tonight,fell asleep at the end to let Benfica back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Milan won't have the away goals rule to get them through this time, Inter have already beaten them twice this year too.

Benfica fans threw flares at the Inter fans below thew tonight, I've no problem with flares but why throw them at opposition fans?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would prefer Inter, then AC, Real and City to win it.

I think Real, then City then Inter then AC will win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

?? 🤔

How does city getting into the semi's constitute the EPL being the dominant league in the world? I don't get the logic there at all... only one English team left in the competition.

Take a look at the Europa League as well... only one English team left in the quarters.

I've no doubt Arsenal and Newcastle will have aspirations. But that doesn't mean they'll actually do anything.

I wouldn't rule out the EPL having a period of dominance, considering the vast wealth in the league. But thankfully as a football fan, money isn't everything in this sport. And the CL is more about big game mentality and tactics, rather than how large your bank balance is. The Italian teams are showing that in Europe this season.

Even back in the 90's and early 00's I had to listen to how the EPL was the greatest league ever.

I remember being told Serie A was sht compared to the EPL back in 03 when 3 Serie A teams were in the semis.

Some people just believe whatever the English media tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

The last 5 champion league finals over 60% of the teams have been from the Premier league ,Pretty much speaks for its self , In the 5 finals before that there was zero Prem teams

Liverpool v Madrid,

Chelsea v City

Psg v Bayern,

Liveprool v Spurs ,

Madrid v Liverpool

Unfortunately that's what happens to fans who listen to the likes of numpties like Jamie Carragher, Mica Richards and Michael Owen all the time.

If you are fed sh1t all the time, you'll believe it and then talk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

To be fair the English league has been showing very good consistency in CL over the last few seasons. To call it the dominant league isn't a massive stretch.

22- 23 season - 1 English in semi finals - Unknown final

21-22 season - 2 English in semi finals - 1 in final.

20-21 season - 2 English in semi finals - 2 in final.

19-20 season - 0 in semi finals.

18-19 season - 2 English in semi finals - 2 in final.

17-18 season - 1 English in semi finals - 1 in final.

2 all English finals in 5 seasons prior and both of those featured 2 different sets of teams. At least 1 English club in the final in 4/5 seasons.

There just isn't the strength across the other leagues there was 10-15 years ago (Financial differences between EPL and the rest). Real have been the only club who have stopped an English team winning 4/5 CL. Bayern winning it the season none of the English sides got to the semis.

Pep has to win the CL this season with City - everything is falling into place for them. They have hit form at the right time, they have the best squad and the best player in Haaland left in the competition. If Real dump them out again it will be a disaster for them.

Pep has had the deck stacked in his favor for Europe for a while now and the league as a whole has been doing well in Europe. His failure to win the CL will have to have serious questions asked if they fail again this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Anyone other than Real Madrid the original state backed sports washing enterprise.

I think inter are the only team left that were not in some way state washed.

It was his own money but Milan were bankrolled by a Prime Minister for a time.

Real and Barca continue to get away with all sorts of financial shenanigans in Spain thanks to political power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yup, he's a great penalty taker. His record is brilliant.

I think considering the money sloshing around the EPL for the last decade, their CL record isn't as good as it should be.

Outside of the EPL, the other 4 top leagues in Europe are Spain, Italy, Germany and France.

When you look at each of those, and who could realistically compete with the English?

Spain : 2 clubs, Madrid & Barca.

Italy : Juve were miles clear for a decade, and they didn't even compete then. Milan, Inter, Roma weren't at the races.

Germany: 1 team league for a decade.

France : 1 team league

So when all the money is taken into account, epl had man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs.

Has the league produced any dominant teams though? You would expect if a league is in a dominant position financially, then it really ought to produce teams that can dominate in continental competition. Not just highly competitive, but dominant.

Liverpool lost 2 of their 3 finals, only winning the easiest on paper of the 3 against spurs. (although a tad unlucky tbf)

Spurs? Their appearance in one final looks like a bit of an anomaly really now, especially considering they're not really a club in contention to win the league. They haven't won it in well over 60 years now.

Chelsea? A bit of a yoyo club, swinging from periods of competitiveness into crisis. No sign of them becoming a dominant force either domestically or in Europe.

That leaves Man City. A club on paper that really should have everything in their favour to be dominant in Europe. But they're not. Even if Pep manages to pull off a CL win, it really still doesn't wash away 7 years of massive underachievement for one of the richest clubs in the world.

You even get this crazy argument, that English clubs are unlucky when they get an unfavourable draw. Man city might be considered unlucky if they don't win it this season, because they ran into Real Madrid in the tougher side of the draw... But why? If the EPL really is the strongest league in the world, and Man City really are as great as some people think... and Pep really is the genius that many people think he is... then why would they be unlucky to draw anyone? Luck should be much less of a factor, when you have all of these things in your favour.

I'm not impressed with what the EPL has produced in Europe, considering it's dominant position financially. Having a collection of the greatest players and managers on the planet. The league overall has been a disappointment at this level. Highly competitive yes... but surely that is the minimum standard you would expect from such an overpowered league? The goal is to take that cup with the big ears home, and to do it regularly. It's all about winning, nothing else really matters.

It's a fair point. Still I think it has been a good showing for the league overall over the last 5 seasons or so.

When you go back over a decade Real and Barca still had great teams. Bayern as well.

But (to agree with your point)... I do also think this might be the weakest European football has been in my lifetime right now. Looking around at the traditional European giants and there is issues at almost every one of the clubs off the field or they are in serious need of a squad rebuild. Harder done when the EPL clubs will be looking to sign players as well and a midtable EPL team can bid 50/60m on a player.

PSG has the money but they are a basket case and the French league poses no challenge to them. A collection of players but not a great team.

Everyone else seems to have money issues of some sort. It's easy to see why the likes of Real, Barca etc... want the super league so much.

If the EPL go down the route of their own streaming service it could end up an even bigger financial disparity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

Id argue because the league is so STRONG is the reason it does not have dominate team in Europe,

They play in a league that is relentless & any drop in standard is punished look at Liverpool currently ,Each side of each knocked out game they have really hard fixtures that are always must wins, They are also knocked by the tie the knockouts come around ,

If any league has dominated Europe it is without question the Premier leuage in the last 5 years ,

it makes no sense to you say your not impressed with the Prem when they have had the joint most winners in the last 5 years & by far the most finalists ,

If the City or PSG money had fallen on a club with a history of winning Champions Leagues I wonder would things be different right now.

Chasing the 1st title seems to be a monkey in the same way no.10 was for Real. Could see floodgates if either win it.

Ah that doesn't really stand up tbh. It is said that the strength of the league is the reason PSG often struggle in Europe - because they get to April/May each year without having faced any seriously top level teams. They then have to go up a level or 2 when they haven't needed to all season.

The PL teams should be 'battle hardened' - they should be better prepared for bigger games as they face off against top level teams more often than PSG etc.. Also for a long time City have had a squad of almost 2 teams to pick from for each game. They can rest quite a few players in a PL game that is not against one of the big 6 and be OK.

We are in an era now where the PL clubs really should be always at the business end of the CL and like I said the record over the last few seasons is very good. Next step now is winning more regularly especially when the other European powerhouses at not at their best.

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of that going on.

Also, the notion that the EPL is somehow a fairer and more competitive competition. But the stats don't bare that out either... Man City have won 4 of the last 5 titles. And how do you become a serious force in the EPL? You get yourself a rich sugar daddy to bankroll your club. Chelsea, then City, now Newcastle...

I like the EPL. It's a fun league, but not as great as the media hype merchants would like us all to think. On paper it should be untouchable in Europe, but it's not. Competitive yes, but not dominant. (perhaps my definition of dominant is different others though)

The thing I like about this sport, is that other leagues are not just standing still and accepting the financial power of the EPL. You can see many clubs and leagues around Europe are getting creative with how to stay competitive. And that's obviously very important for the overall health of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He has scored 33/36 career pens at a success rate of 91.67%, far above the xG for penalties which is about 79% now

Fair enough if his sample size was tiny, but over 36 penalties I think he has proven himself as a good taker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

La Liga aslo seems pretty weak also but that has not stopped Real Madrid turning over big PL clubs on a regular basis. The winner stats dont have the PL being by far dominant yet but I think it is only a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Good point. Winning the first one is a real challenge. I think if they get through this time, then a few more may follow.

Same as winning that Premier League in 2012 when dead & buried v QPR. Once they got that (after years of underachievement & failure), I knew they would win more. I started following them in 1977, one year after they won the League Cup. The next silverware was the 2011 FA Cup.

I know not CL , but Utd upholding their 'Epl best league in the world' side tonight.

It's not news that the Utd squad is terrible once you get past the first team. They did also knock Barca (who are running away with La Liga) and Real Betis out who are chasing top4 in Spain. Same as Utd.

Last night was a disaster don't get me wrong but credit to Seville they took full advantage. Utd should have been out of sight last week but fell apart.

Hopefully that's the end of some of those players - still carrying far too much deadwood in the squad.

Weak in what sense though? Unbalanced perhaps, with the relative financial power of Real and Barca.

This can give the perception that the league is weak. But plenty of Spanish clubs outside of the big two actually perform very well in Europe. Sevilla are in 13th place in La Liga, and have just knocked out Man Utd who are in 3rd place in the EPL - not to mention the huge financial disparity between both clubs.

Sevilla have won the Europa League a record 6 times, twice as much as the next best performing clubs from any of the other big leagues. This doesn't paint a picture of La Liga being weak, quite the opposite in fact. There is strength in depth throughout the league.

Is the EPL weak because the other teams are finding it hard to stop Man City from winning the title almost every year? Or is the league at a very high level, and Man City just happen to be at a slightly higher standard than the rest most years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

La Liga is weak with regard to the CL this year compared to previous years with Barcelona and Atletico Madrid being much weaker sides and Barca not even being in it. The CL is the premier competition in Europe so not sure why Europa League should be mentioned.

Talking to people today and everyone seems to be saying City. Sort of the same people who say England will win everytime, despite the same obvious shortcomings. People can hold me to this, and I'll leave boards, if City win. They've no chance.

Every year, they don't have the ability to unlock the blanket defence at the highest level, and the same will happen this year. Madrid should beat them, and if they don't, Milan will take them to the cleaners. They're actually the perfect match for Milan.

Madrid would usually play a conservative game against City, but I sense they've a confidence in themselves to be more expansive this time, which in an open game of football, they'll lose. So I think City might get fortunate in how Madrid will set up

The final, and it will be against Milan if they get through, will be unique as it will be one of the most lopsided finals in who's deemed favorite. And will be very lopsided in who wins, but the other way around. I think this is one of the most obvious and predictable match ups, Milan go to town on them on the break .

Milan continually written off as poor due to their league form but it has no bearing. In the league, they've to bring the game to the opposition, in Europe they can sit back and let the opposition come onto them. It suits them perfectly and plays to their strengths.

They'll park the double decker bus, and defend for their lives. A suspect City defense will be continually hit by quick and direct running and counter attacks, from Diaz and Leao. I don't see how this match up could play out differently infact.

They're also the most honest and hard working team left. They're players have been made study the history of the club and what it means to play for it. When the league was on the line last season, it was pride and hard work that won it, versus opposition players only playing for money. The Milan players, when they dig in, are genuinely playing for the crest in the way other teams aren't.

They've put all their eggs in the European basket this year, and like the league last year, their players are going to give a huge push, walk through walls for the crest. Having this unity and belief for the club they're playing for, is the difference between the Milan players and the rest. Yous will see!

People will point out I'm writing Inter off, they're just not worth writing about, but I'll give one post to them.

For several reasons they've no chance, and again, if they knock Milan out I'll leave boards. Firstly, they never beat Milan, very rarely, in modern history when it matters. They've an inferiority complex and wilt when the heat is turned up. Milan grow. For no other reason, other than history, they won't qualify.

Secondly, people would point to the league table and say they are similar. Inter spent more money, have better individuals, but are a disjointed mess stumbling along. Milan are weaker individually, but a week drilled unit who play for each other, who have repeatedly shown they can double down and raise their level, under intense pressure.

Like in the league, Inter have showed no cohesive game plan in Europe the past couple of years. Again, in contrast, Milan know exactly what they're doing and how they're playing, and do it with purpose.

Lastly, people in Ireland don't appreciate the psychological hammer blow Milan gave both Inter and Napoli last year when they took the league title. In Inters case, they were desperate to put daylight between them and Milan in league titles, for the first time in decades, seeing themselves as the better club since the mid-00s after Milans troubles started.

But try as they might, Milan, as poor as they were at times, have hit back when it's mattered. Milan desperate to not let Inter pull away, dug deeper and fought harder as a team, and Inter cracked.

Which they've always done, when faced with the prospect of taking Milan, when it matters most. In a similar way to the Napoli-Milan game, it's over before a ball is kicked

You suggested that La Liga was weak, and that this "hasn't stopped Real Madrid turning over big PL clubs on a regular basis".

So, based on that statement, you are not just referring to this season in isolation.

You haven't provided any real compelling evidence that would prove La Liga to be a weak league. Other than your perception of the relative strength or performance of individual clubs. Unbalanced is not necessarily the same thing as weak. La Liga is definitely an unbalanced league imo, with regard to the power of certain clubs. But then you could make a similar argument for the EPL with Man City being very dominant, or Ferguson's Man Utd before that etc...

How are the UEFA coefficient rankings for clubs and leagues calculated? I think you'll find that ALL European competitions are taken into account when producing those rankings.

A good barometer of the strength in depth of any league, would be to look at how their 2nd or 3rd tier clubs (for want of a better word) are performing in those 2nd and 3rd tier European competitions. Hence why I mentioned Sevilla knocking out the current 3rd best team in the EPL, and having 6 Europa league titles in their trophy cabinet. It's not an insignificant metric.

Last season had 3 Spanish teams in the CL QF, 2 in semi's and one in the final.... exactly the same as the EPL.

There is currently one Spanish team left in the competition, exactly the same as the EPL.

Even if you only want to make it about the CL in isolation, this does not suggest that La Liga is a weak league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement