Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

All the hype and sometimes factors out af anyone's control fcuk the hype. HB being a good example. The sky was the limit and then is injuries cursed him.

I remember, or I think I remember a fair bit of hype around Brendan Macken. Look at that outcome. Hype is clickbait. Who's next up on the hype express?

Just looking at the Munster team for tomorrow. No Carberry! Wtf! Has that hype train derailed? Is he out of favor in Limerick? Has Rowntree lost confidence? Can we get a refund for the Graham Henry input?

I've thought all along that RB was the better out half. I think we may be lucky that we kept Ross.

In more hype news....... read an article yesterday, where a former bokke international stated that VanGrann could be the next Boks coach. Now there's a hypetrain with no engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Injuries, loss of confidence and poor quality coaching ruined Carbery.

It's easy in hindsight to say he never should have left Leinster. But he really never should have left Leinster. One if the most gifted young talents I'd ever seen come through the ranks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Crowley and Healy have had the same coaching as him since he’s returned from injury tho and have essentially overtaken him now (and that’s even with Healy leaving).

Yeah hard not to agree but it raises a lot of questions and prompts a wider discussion.

Was the pressure put on him to move the right thing? Were Leinster right in the first instance not playing him at 10? How has his tackling and defence declined so acutely? If given a do-over would he have taken the contract at Munster at all?

And what happens now if similar circumstances arise in the future? Joey Carbey far from being a success story is now a cautionary tale and he's spent the last couple of years watching Ross Byrne, a less naturally talented footballer, pick up silverware and now take his place as Ireland's number 2.

I'm hoping there is an explanation for his omission the last two weeks other than a collapse in form / confidence but I'm absolutely gutted for him if that's the case. I was full sure back when he broke through that he'd have taken Sexton's spot long before now but he's been despairingly unlucky.

• Advertisement

Carbery's issues all run together. The coaching he received under Van Graan and Larkham wasn't of the same calibre as under Lancaster. That in itself wouldn't necessarily derail a career, but what he needed was a solid attacking structure to play in.

Persistent injury is also a significant factor in his plateauing. He missed a lot of time where he should have been gathering experience at playing 10. When he came back he continued to struggle and I think just lost confidence in himself.

Apparently ROG was on Off The Ball today and spoke about Andrew Goodman leaving Leinster to take up a job with New Zealand. Hopefully that's not the case. He is a shitstirrer so could be up to his usual antics.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Given their ages the coaching those two received during the grim VG years would be very different being young players than the first choice 10.

Carbury was dealing with it during his key development and experience gaining years, all while being exposed at the coalface.

We've seen some players drop bad coaching and battle scars quickly, while others struggle for a longer time and can be completely ruined.

It is all made worse by Carbury potentially not being physically the player he was coming through either, given his injury battles.

To my mind, RB although limited, is the better option. Physically, Byrne is defensively better. It's hard to gauge what's going on with Carberry but, he's struggled in his defensive duties. To put it another way, Carberry has rarely started a match that I've thought, "jaysus, he's brilliant". I've been very impressed with RB, as a game manager and perhaps, a natural 10.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What I don't understand about Carbery, for either Munster or Ireland, is that I'd say he was doing fairly well this year in comparison to previously. His play didn't strike me as anything worthy of dropping out of the Munster squad.

Given their ages the coaching those two received during the grim VG years would be very different being young players than the first choice 10.

Is that true tho? Carbery started off the first half-season with Munster quite well.

Then he was essentially injured for 2 years.

And since his return, he would’ve had the same coaching as the other two.

I’d largely agree with that from an attacking perspective. (The last 60-70!mins vs Edinburgh he was absolutely superb. Yes, only Edinburgh, but genuinely think it’s the best attacking display I’ve seen from him for Munster, and he showed good resolve after throwing an intercept early on).

But defensively, unfortunately at times he can be a liability.

Crowley started his first game last season while Carbury had four seasons at the forefront of the environment, where he would have had to try to completely embrace it outside of brief escapes to Ireland camp.

Being injured doesn't mean he would have stopped being in meetings and at sessions, if anything that time could be even worse because you aren't on the pitch to work out how you can incorporate what is being asked with your skillset - especially if you then have to try to adapt further if your body isn't the same on your return.

You might have some argument with Healy, though he still wasn't in it as long as Carbury, but it wasn't as if he started the season on fire with new coaching. As I said, bad coaching impacts players differently and then you add the potential lingering injuries and huge additional pressure on Carbury.

I'm sure Munster fans will see it differently but if I was Leinster I'd be using him, along with to a lesser extent Conway and Jones, to dissuade top young Leinster players to jump ship - throw in Keatley who didn't go directly but got the worst treatment.

There's an obvious, and massive difference between "being in meetings" and actually training on the pitch.

But if that's your opinion, I'm pretty sure we're not going to agree on this, so happy to just leave it there...

There is and there isn't.

Surprised you're so flippant about 'meetings' - I didn't think I needed to spell out all the work that a pro in such a pivotal position would/should be doing to ensure they are ready to hit the ground running when fit - building off his year of experience as the starter, something the other two weren't starting from. Being injured isn't like being off sick from work where you can put your feet up.

He also had multiple long roads to recovery which meant he would have been involved in a lot of training sessions over those 2 years even if they weren't full contact and he wasn't togging out in matches.

Good to leave it there, as it is hard for me to change my opinion when you havent really posted any details to really back up your opinion.

Good to leave it there, as it is hard for me to change my opinion when you havent really posted any details to really back up your opinion

Uh-huh 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

For Ireland, I think he really, really blotted his copybook against Fiji. Google Farrell's fairly pointed comments after the game, I think that was when he lost the trust of the Ireland coaches. He got dropped by Ireland for the 6N and has been in a downward spiral ever since. For Munster his dropping came much later, he was still starting for Munster until not that long ago, the Sharks was pretty much the first big game of the season he didn't start and that was in April.

Toulouse have rested absolutely everyone for their game this weekend. No front line players even on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

He had a good 3rd test cameo against NZ last summer but we conceded tries in first and second game where he was directly at fault for missed tackles. I reckon that put a big seed of doubt in Farrell’s mind as a defensive coach first and foremost. His attacking game not clicking against Fiji was probably the nail in the coffin.

I think he got a lot of support from the media and fans but that’s obviously started to wane. People point to the game against Argentina in 2021 where he was (generously) given man of the match. The reality of that game was he struggled offensively at 10 and then had a great impact from open play when Harry Byrne came on at 10, he was moved to 15 and Argentina went a man down.

His best abilities are his ability to see gaps, glide into that space and have the vision to put players away in that situation. He has become a very good goal kicker. His shortcomings are his defence, lack of physicality on the gainline and his ability to run a backline/game manage. He’s a 15 shoehorned into 10. Unfortunately at this stage Keenan is far superior at all aspects you want from a 15.

Not sure where he goes at this stage but he’s been desperately unlucky with injuries, being shoehorned into 10 after the PJ situation, and the hype that started with Graham Henry. Hoping he manages to turn it around but don’t think that’s going to happen at Munster and Leinster have far better options now. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him going abroad at some stage.

He has become a very good goal kicker.

It’s the one area of his game that was consistently good since the start of his spell at Munster, but I think that’s even regressed this season too.

Had a quick look on the Munster site, seems to confirm that; 47 successful kicks and 14 missed. That’s a success % of 77. He was upper 80’s in previous seasons. With the caveat that it doesn’t account for difficulty of kick.

And his one start with Munster from 15, against Connacht this season, he was especially poor.

I’d say he can’t wait for the season to end at this point… you’d feel for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Leo has sent the Expendables out to play today. Nobody other than the annointed one should feel like they have any place in Leinsters real team going into next season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There's probably 5 players who could fight their way into the first choice 23 next season on the field.

Plenty though have important roles in mix and match teams for league games.

Will Connors or Deegan are definitely talents. Both capped internationals despite the heavy congestion ahead of them.

Byrne and Milne will be fighting for backup loose head jersey next season.

Tommy O'Brien preinjury may have been ahead of Jimmy O'Brien so he needs games and time to see where he is now.

In general though the best of the Leinster squad is staying behind or injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The game isn't listed on Premier Sports 1 or 2 on Sky today. They're showing Liverpoo v Forest and the FA Cup semi final. I know it's on TG4 but I'd rather watch with English commentary. Maybe it will be a match choice or something on Premier

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I wasn't trolling. I genuinely don't think any of these players will be in the picture for meaningful minutes next year. Leinster are clearly throwing this game to focus on the HCup semi final. If I was Deegan or Will Connors I'd be weighing up my options. Being on this team is the proverbial kiss of death for the players who should be expecting to have broken into the 1st choice 23 by this stage of their career

I suppose it's easy to second guess. But was Carberry 2nd best all this time? I haven't thought he's looked comfortable as a 10. It begs the question, what are the coaches seeing? It also raises the point, if Joey was viewed as the option after J10, Ireland haven't produced much in out half in a few years.

Ross was thrown into the wolf's den for his 1st start. He was harshly judged after that match and despite being very solid and dependable, was not given a chance until recently. As it stands, we as a nation are not blessed with top quality or even high quality 10's. There's lads on the way that will be good but, there's been little over the last 5 years or so.

Rowntree should continue to work with Carberry. I wouldn't throw him onto the scrap heap. There's a lot of experience in JC and maybe with the focus off him, he can start rebuilding confidence. There's no harm in him being the back up at Munster. Another chance will come. Carberry is versatile and he can play fb at a very high level. He's well worth his spot in the roster. Bear in mind, a loss of form or an injury and he's back in the international squad. A move overseas is an option. Would he command a high salary? I don't think so.

I wouldn't write off any of the younger expendable. If you've watched Leinster recently, you'd notice a very good young hooker. The lad is playing great and kudos to Leinster for giving him a shot. Rob Russell has been great, just signed his 1st contract and looks to have a bright future.

Leinster will be mullered, imo. No harm in having the future players suffer defeat. They are really learning on the fly. No better place to learn than S.A.

As far as Deegan goes, he had another injury this season. He was out for a few months and has come back strong. He is going to be in the conversation for the national team. Ditto for Connors. Playing well after an injury plagued season. I would guess there's a lot of teams that wouldn't mind having Liam Turner! Another lad with a bright future.

C'mon ye expendables.

• Advertisement

Advertisement