Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Druids Glen - The 2023 Re-Opening

Options
  • 21-04-2023 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

The course re-opens on May 1st for Members, and June 1st for Visitors

I was there yesterday taking some photographs.

(I don't know anything about green fee rates at this stage)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Looks fantastic, great photos Kevin.

Are the layout changes really significant?

Any high or low points from your perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Green Fees look fairly extortionate. €190 for a visitor rate. Now whenever they start running Opens again you'd imagine that price will be significantly lower. But I played an Open there the summer before it closed for €50, can imagine there being much change left out of 100 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Looks class....but far less dramatic a change than what was described...can see holes from before...

Can't see me paying 190 at any point...but of your staying in Druids Glen, you can afford...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Will be very interesting to see if this new model is a success. I'd have my doubts that they'll ever be able to get many people paying €190 to play there or attract the US custom thats needed to keep that level of green fee. The obvious comparison is Mount Juliet but where that stands out is location, there isn't really any 'premier' courses nearby and Kilkenny is a popular destination. Druids Glen is essentially competing with Dublin to get customers and the east coast doesn't typically feature on US golf itineraries beyond the likes of Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Only one major layout change - and that's to the 4th, where the green has moved 70 yards to the right and down into the lake that was there before... but mostly out of sight. The 5th tee is now where the old 4th green was, turning the par-5 into a dogleg.

Plenty of highs and while there are no lows - IMO - the par-3 2nd is now more open than before, which disappoints me a bit.

• Advertisement

Green fees will go up, certainly. I'll need to do some research into comparisons with K Club, Mt J, Lough Erne, Fota... but the Glen is ahead of them IMO. It's always a balancing act between quality, experience and value for money

Interesting, Fix. What changes did you read about? I was never expecting significant changes to the layout just an upgrade and 'modernisation' and a quest for additional length.

Taking the golf aside, have stayed with the missus in Druids, MJ, Fota and K Klub, and Druids would be comfortably bottom of the pile by a long way as a hotel destination to us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Of them, I only stayed in Druids and found it quiet sterile and wouldn't be rushing back.

Which of the 4 would you rate highest?

A few people who were involved in the last set up - but I think it was fueled by people going - how could you change what was nearly a perfect parkland - I'm happy enough it isn't changed dramatically - the place did need an upgrade - but keep the general layout.

But again - the same with all things golf and even hotel wise - it has gone to a price that is just out of reach of most.

Besides, what was said above - I always loved the hotel there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Stayed in the other 3 myself. Know Druids and been in it lots, pool food etc, used to live close. I’m with Fix, I like it but can see why the guys are saying it the lowest of the 4. Was over 10 years ago now, but probably K Club felt most exclusive. Favourite is MJ and go there a lot but don’t stay in the fancy main house that often as the new hunters yard is better with the kids. Fota was just a very very nice 5 star hotel but the historic old houses of MJ and K club set them a level above for me but I’d have the other 2 level pegging and close behind

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Like MJ I think DG is overrated, yes the conditioning is excellent but Headfort New and Slieve Russell are better golf courses and significantly better value

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Mount Juliet and K Club definitely have the lead. There's a gravitas to both thanks to the buildings that form the key part of the hotel, plus the estate around them. Definitely a high-end vibe.

Druids Glen and Fota are a level down. Both purpose built so don't have the same history or ambience. I'd have Druids above Fota, though

Personally, I think DG is under-rated. It's down in the 30s in Irish Golfer's Top 100, yet I'd have it above MJ and the K Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I'm fairness I think the room prices would reflect that hierarchy also. MJ does have the cheaper Hunters Yard alright. It's a bit like Kelly's Rosslare and Inchodoney. Even tho they are 4 star hotels they would feel a cut above some 5 stars and price would be too.

Played Druids in an Open for 65 the year before. Hope the opens can still be reasonably priced. Love the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Great venue and 2 great tracks. As always a great pity about the fees.

I would put the glen in my irish top ten any day, but at the prices I would rather play Killeen Castle 3 times. It makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Is Killeen castle not €150 a round? I remember looking at it last year for a night away and thinking it was good value until I realised that was each!

Growing up I never thought about parkland vs links, but now I'm a total links snob. If I'm going to pay a premium price I'll probably only do it for a links course. I reckon it's all those top 100 lists that have done it to me. So there's not a chance I'd pay 190 for druids glen, whereas I could be convinced if I was down in Kerry to pay it for ballybunion / waterville / Tralee.

That said, the photos look spectacular. I'd love to have a crack at it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've played Druids 3 times and loved it. Never stayed there, but its a great parklands course, with some excellent holes.

Not paying €190 for it though...i'd struggle to cough that up for the best links courses in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

More than a year since Kileen was 50e a round.

They jacked their prices up spectacularly after the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

65 for an open now I think

• Advertisement

Followed up for some official ratings from the boss.

No 1 is K Klub, for quality of hotel, restaurants and service too

Would be close between MJ and Fota, MJ would be better for quality of accommodation, but Fota was superb and better than MJ for service.

Druids was worse than all 3 for accommodation and service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I think you get my point?

3 rounds at Headfort, Rathsallagh etc etc - 5 rounds in Portarlington?

I haven't played the K club...but would put Druids Glen ahead of Mount Juliet...

I do love Mount Juliet ..but Druids has far more interesting holes and way more stunning holes...Druids has the run of holes at the turn that make some of the best holes in the country...whilst a few like that in MJ , not as many or as good...

Also feel Mt Juilet has been dumbed down a bit and set up for resort type golf.

I know we have drifted a bit talking about accommodation...but the old house in Mt Juilet is one of the best places I ever stayed ...found the hunters lodge place very average ...full of kids and too much going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Where are you seeing that? Being honest was expecting Open prices to probably go up to around €80 so if it's only €65 that's good value. Will definitely play it once anyway to see the changes.

Yeah by comparison I am playing all three courses in Rosapenna for €210 in August. I get that Druids Glen are trying to put themselves into that sphere of 'Destination Golf' but they are never going to draw the same interest as any of the Major Links courses imo, there's just not enough around it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea we've stayed in Druid's Glen twice. It's nice and all, but it's not as nice as the price tag suggests.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What's the story with membership at Druids? Are the Glen and the Heath two separate memberships? Is there a difference other than the quality of the course?

Am I right in assuming DG membership is a lot more expensive?

My understanding is they are bringing in a significant joining fee for the Glen for the reopen.

Spoke with a couple of guys who joined it before it shut down, who were previously Heath members as they were able to get in before the joining fee was introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

A mate is a member in DG. For a good while before they closed, he could bring guests out for €20 once a month on a saturday morning for a team comp. That got heavily exploited on my end. I've always enjoyed it. Nice course, well maintained, good variety of holes and not excessively difficult for your average golfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Thats for Killeen Castle at €65

Senior Open is €45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Richiemaloney

Advertisement