Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Yes most people, studios, etc just react when the wise thing to do is wait like they are doing here.

The firing with James Gunn wasn’t Marvel or Feige. It was Alan Horn who was in charge (I think) of Disney at the time and it was Bob Iger who reversed the decision (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I guess the reason people are released when the accusations come out is they can't afford to wait, especially for TV series. With the time between the initial accusations and the court case being completed it can be years.

Not saying it's right but it's understandable from a business point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I was thinking they'll just have to vet their actors more thoroughly before casting, but the other side of that is what sane person is going to open up their lives up to a studio like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Strange choice. I just can’t warm to Driver after his Darth Emo Solo run.

Can’t see Fantastic 4 getting a sequel anyway so most he’ll be in is 3 movies including the 3 avengers movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Depends what way they handle Fantastic Four as characters he's a weird choice for the role definitely arrogant enough to play Reed Richards if they go that direction with the character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,197 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Why not just stick with John Krasinski?

I'm sure like most people, I only know him from Star Wars. How would he be in what I hope is a more lighthearted role?

I suggest getting Ioan Gruffud back. Having John Krasinski in the role seemed random since it was a one and done thing while everyone else had more reason to be there.

Now who for the rest of the roles. If going around Adam's age, Alexandra Daddario for Sue?

Had they not used her in Secret Invasion, I would have said Emilia Clarke as Sue would have had the Jessica Alba level of Star power to put bums in seats. The rumours that Anya Taylor Joy is being lined up by Sony to play Felicia Hardy/Black Cat seems to have come to nothing so perhaps Marvel Studios could rope her in. Dakota or Elle Fanning are about the right age as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Krasinski himself doesn't seem to want to do it. I think he did Dr.Strange 2 because he and his wife, Emily Blunt, were always being fan-cast as Reed Richards and Sue Storm. But I think he's more into writing and directing these days, so he may not want to take the role on full time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd be quiet happy with Adam Driver. Don't judge him on SW alone (although the material he'd get to work with in the MCU won't be any better than Kylo Ren).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I doubt it'll be that few movies. Even the original F4 got a sequel.

They need a Stark type figure in the MCU to be a leader and deal with the general public/government/military.

There are also a few F4 villains that they should be around to deal with, even if it isn't in their own movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah Doctor Doom would be a likely frontrunner for the Big Bad after Kang, so it'd make sense for the F4 to play a big part in the MCU. With the X-Men as well, they'd be huge characters/teams to keep interest in the MCU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Driver would be better cast as Doctor Doom instead of Reed Richards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

He was a bit of a doctor doom in star wars tho...

Doom is my favourite narvel villian... so, I am defintely keen on this decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Doom should be a clear, distinct voice you can't mistake. Someone like Jeremy Irons.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

With Marvel pretty much confirming they are moving away from sequels due to diminishing returns and moving away from the big bad phase approach after secret wars the fantastic 4 won’t have much use.

Namor has been done so Doom is the likely enemy. Galactus if they want to go big

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

They've said they won't be doing sequels anymore?!

Feige hinted at such. Essentially saying viewers were more interested in one off movies and that sequels weren’t returning large returns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats probably for this active roster which hasn't held up well. When they start tapping F4/X-Men they will likely start sequels again.

Unless they keep hobbling their own value with poor movie on top of poor movie by which point not even F4/X-Men would save them.

Agree with this.

What I see Feige meaning was cutting back on sequels for B or C tier heroes, like Ant-Man and Dr Strange, or beating some of the upper tier too long, like doing a Thor 5.

F4 is not only one of the better known names of Marvel but they are also a team event, like X-Men will be. Unless F4 bombs, there will be sequels and at least some of the characters appearing in other movies, beyond just Avenger movies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

probably applicable to the current bunch (although I am looking forward to the marvels), but when the X-men get into town, they will be sequel-go-go..

Yeah that’s a fair point.

Marvel 2027 is going to be a completely different beast than what we are getting now I’d imagine.

Agree that by 2027 MCU should be in a good place.

I know the pandemic messed up their plans but they're probably regretting slow playing bringing in the Fox characters.

They definitely needed a reset from Endgame but have relied too many times and over too long a period on the B and C tier characters and it appears to now be having a bigger impact on the MCU brand than they probably expected.

CA NWO, Armor Wars, and Thunderbolts look very risky at this point to be the first proper flops, especially if they badly time the release dates and have them up against other blockbusters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I feel like superhero movies in general are reverting to a pre-MCU state, where big names like Batman and Superman are sure bets but relative unknowns could flop. In the previous decade, it seemed easy to launch new-to-cinema franchises like Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. Now I think Marvel's future will rely on what worked in the late 90s to early 2000s - Blade, X-Men, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four.

OK, from my point of view, characters like Spider-Man, X-Men and on the other side Batman weren't comic characters to me, they were Saturday morning cartoons. And that's what I would have been comparing the original X-Men and Spider-Man movies against. Showing my age here but I grew up on Kevin Conroy v Mark Hamill. The quippy Spider-Man V Kingpin series and of course, the iconic X-Men cartoon whose theme tune is still used today. So the point I'm making is, not to forget the Saturday morning element to the story lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Was watching Antman last night, i was so bored, checked how long was left and i was only 40 minutes in. I'll go back to it but kind of rooting for Kang at this point to just kill everyone.

Yeah wasn’t great at all. Sad to see the rapid decline of the MCU but what goes up must come down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

no interest in seeing the film but one criticism I saw was that Antman wasnt allowed to be a hero in in his own film , so I assume he just ends up being part of the scooby gang? kinda setting up the film to fail if they dont structure it right?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement