Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Well it helps. It helps the much larger national European forces.

And gets certain bases and priviliges in return.

There are around 1.4m active personnel throughout EU member countries.

US troops are up to ~100k since Ukraine, normally kept about 60k.

So by those numbers US defends this continent by about 7%.

Wow. Just wow.

(We'll leave the roughly 3 million reserves out).

Hes clearly reaching out to the Ameriboos on boards.

Salut Emmanuel. Vive l'autonomy strategique.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't think we need to join NATO but do take issue with that a bit (part below).

The only people cheering for nato here in Ireland are those overgrown men-children who can't get over their fascination with fancy military toys (as they see them).

Thats their real agenda, they don't care about international peace or internet cables, they just want fancy military tech to nerd out about, if we have to change our place in the world as a nation then they're ok with that. Got two missile ships and a tank for it, fair deal.

I think more EU common defence, probably strongly linked with NATO because most of the same countries are members of both EU and NATO, is coming down the track (eventually). I suppose I am a pro EU person who wants Ireland to take part in all aspects of it as it develops, not be be a half-in half-out member despite where we are located. That's generally been the govt. policy where possible.

I can see a day coming where Ireland is going to be lonely on these matters due to automatic pacifism, a mistrust and dislike of all things military. It's a wonderful luxury of our geography and history that we can maintain that, good for us but I don't expect endless patience with it from either the large member states or many others who are otherwise similar to us (small peaceful EU member states), but not so blessed as they are closer to military threats from the hostile states (Russia, Turkey) on the EU borders. Their reality is a bit different.

Especially if govt. here actively tries to disrupt, undermine and hamper more cooperation at EU level (rather than just not take part if it conflicts with neutrality and stay out of the way of it, as seems to be policy with FF-FG). I mean that is not a far fetched scenario with a likely SF led Irish govt IMO, which will be the most anti-EU one ever (and quite sympathetic to that left wing student morality play view of world politics with US & UK / "the West" as the ultimate "Baddies"). (If it happens) SF's certainly not going to be elected because the Irish public badly want a very eurosceptic govt. with potentially dangerous and dodgy foreign policy, but that won't change how SF could behave at EU level going on history of the party.

Anyway I would prefer if somehow the military and defence was a bit more "normalised" here in coming years, that we work now to create something that looks very similar to militaries of other small member states even if we are not joining NATO ourselves. We're a long way from that at the moment I think. Getting there involves fixing the problems with defence forces and, yes, buying some new equipment (not toys and not necessarily fancy)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The US military is on a completely different level to Europe. There is no comparison in capabilities. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If the PRC is brazen enough to invade Taiwan, the sh*t has hit the fan for everybody, the US, Europe and all of East Asia alike.

That Macron thinks we don't have a strategic interest in the maintenance of the Asian peace from just a narrow economic point alone of view makes him a narrow dunderhead. The long term vista of China taking Taiwan is an ugly one for democracies and the rules based order worldwide.

He's over there flogging wine and airplanes to Xi, and needs to wind his neck in. This is not the EU's stance much as he wants it to be.

He should probably concentrate on cleaning up the domestic mess he has in front of him before he presumes to speak for the EU on how to manage the Chinese relationship.

• Advertisement

The forward based units and materiel the US have in Europe are among the most high-impact anywhere on earth.

If you think poorly kitted out Bundeswehr units are equal to the force projection capacity to what the US has in Southern Germany you're in dreamland and know next to nothing about defence. The Bundeswehr doesn't even have a proper secure comms network.

Man for man, the US force projection capacity in Europe outstrips others by multiples.

These are facts.

Well over here in Europe there is. Im sure the US is number 1 on paper globally, but I don't really care about globally, when you have to sail across an ocean the numbers tend to flip a little.

😄

It means over here, in Europe, (where you live) European capabilities are far beyond American capabilities.

American deployed forces in Europe cant build large scale armored vehicle factories for example, or recruit 10k locals but Europe does have that capability.

The full forces of America can do all those things in America alright, but America is an ocean away, so why should I care. They may as well be on the moon as far its relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not so long ago people said the exact same about Finland and Sweden

• Advertisement

OK then. Theres some mad international incident or some fantasy circumstance whereby American forces deployed in Europe are at war with their respective host countries.

Who wins.

And so help me. I will be heard in Tokyo.

I can't believe you're actually posing that as a serious question 😂

So silly

Silly posts get silly replys.

The capabilities of a relatively small number of Americans (with respect) do not come close to the capabilities of entire nations. They obviously can't. Not when you're spreading them out and talking about places other than Malta or Liechtenstein level.

American capabilities are greater than European capabilities globally, and in America. But if the context is one of European defense then no, no American capabilities aren't greater here. Its a continent of hundreds of millions of people with a multi-trillion euro economy and well over 1 million active personnel. Obviously local capabilities are going to be way higher than those of a deployed force from an ocean away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

Will be interesting to find out what else he said.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Macron has made a plonker of himself on this trip and if that's what the Elysée was willing to put out, he was obviously speaking to the journalist on a sleeping pills/wine combination.

He's under severe pressure at home so maybe he thought some neo-Gaullist nationalist callbacks might win him some favour with people burning sh*t down.

Just reading Twitter, respected think-tankers and commentators are genuinely agog at his comments.

Certainly this will bring the Trans-Atlanticists out to play, and Macron wil learn just how many of them there are in European capitals when he has to attend his next European summit.

The big take away from this for me is that he's made a very big blunder trying to enroll the rest of Europe in a Gaullist crusade to shore up his desperate domestic position.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I didn't talk about what Ireland can do directly of course. I was just reacting to someone wanting to do negotiations with ppl who just lie and kill without a second thought. I'm not seeing what could possibly be achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I get that but when Putin is gone there should be a time to talk?

Just some food for thought on the issue. (published 20/04/23)

(full article paywalled below content from teddit : https://teddit.net/r/europe/comments/12t7lyb/european_union_plans_to_create_land_air_and/)

The European Union could have its own special forces commandos under controversial plans for a rapid reaction force of 5,000 troops, The Telegraph can disclose.

The proposals aim to create a “land, air and maritime” force that could be deployed quickly to intervene anywhere in the world, particularly to safeguard the evacuation of officials and staff.

Its formation could allow the EU to “respond decisively and prevent and manage crises in order to assert itself as a more credible security and defence actor”, according to a report by EU officials and MEPs.

Original plans for the expeditionary force were drawn up after the flawed US withdrawal from Afghanistan in August 2021, when EU leaders said the bloc needed the ability to operate independently of the US and Nato.

The joint military force could be deployable without the unanimous support of the EU’s 27 member states in order to prevent it becoming snarled up in political wrangling.

Additionally, US 2024 presidential candidate Donald "Best in the world" Trump was recently in the news mentioning that the money spent in Ukraine could be better spent on domestic issues. (see approx 01:10). Which is understandable, as a presidents first priority is his/her own people, not foreigners on other continents.

Also upon reading the top article up above, I decided to poke around for news of the EU rapid reaction force, and found a 14 year old youtube video about the EU rapid reaction force. Which would suggest the EU is long term committed to bringing EU member state forces together. (Irish troops happened to be the first ones seen in the video, as the eufor mission to chad was featured in the intro).

We are going to have an increasingly integrated EU member military structure. We cannot rely on US voters to not elect a president with an isolationist outlook.

Our place is in that EU military structure, which for us in Ireland is all we'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@greencap Our place is in that EU military structure, which for us in Ireland is all we'll need.

Everyone else in Europe has the ability to defend themselves and possibly help their nearest neighbors, most will have the ability to get their troops over seas fairy quick,

We don't have any of that ability,

It's another case sure we don't need nato the eu will protect us,

Im pretty sure that those 5000 troops would be on Irish soil in the drop of a hat if we should need them. So any threat would need to bring at least 12,000 +1 men if they want our capture our precious .... eh, bauxite mines (?).

And we already do our own little bit for the EU and UN.

So yeah the EU will protect us, and I don't see where exactly nato fits in in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm not sure if I get this logic - there's no need for defense in Ireland, because the EU will protect Ireland. How is Ireland contributing in this EU defense? Or is it some kind of a special club with just Ireland, Malta, Cyprus and Austria and Sweden (for now) as members?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

The EU will probably have a meeting where action would be veto'd by Mick and Claire on the rights of an invading party to free passage....there would be weeks of debate before the EU say they'll do anything, when they do get around to it, they'll realise there isn't enough of anything to pass on, while Macron sleazes up to invading party brokering a peace deal which involves the annexing of Cork (which isn't really a bad thing TBH)....

/s

What EU mutual aid is in military terms has never been articulated and is interpreted wildly differently within the bloc. Greece seems to think it means everyone will scramble fighter planes if Turkey starts getting fresh with them (ironically, a major European conflict that almost certainly been avoided because of NATO). The Danes maintain it's functionally meaningless, and the only defence pact on the go in Europe is NATO.

It's basically whatever you're having yourself. For instance, if there was an act of military aggression against Ireland in whatever threat domain, and there was a Front Nationale French President like Le Pen, do you think she would leap to our defence? Not a snowballs chance they'd interpret the clause as meaning they have to come to our aid with pracitical military assistance, because there's nothing in the clause compelling them to do anything.

Ironically, it was designed and worded in the most ambigious and weak manner because of Irish chicken-littles insisting the previous Lisbon wording would drag us into a super-dooper European Army and we'd all be packed off to war.* The same crowd are now misinterpreting and relying on the weak wording to avoid the conversation about Irish neutrality as it is composed being unsustainable. Schrodingers defence clause, where the EU is fully signed-up to defend us, but not really, as we arrived at the weakest non-commital wording because of reflexive rejectionism and a doctrinaire interpretation of our neutrality.

*Which was of bundled-in with a rejection of EU accession for Eastern States and a reflexive fear of Johnny Foreigner.

nope, those 5000 will be rapid reaction, unanimity is not needed. speed of deployment is the whole point.

under the command of Brussels, so a French right-wing president, or a German left-wing chancellor won't make a difference. Just dial 1800-Blitzkrieg.

• Advertisement

There is not a single enabling legal instrument at an EU level that would allow for a Rapid Reaction Force to respond to an Irish security crisis that would bypass a call by individual State's defence ministers/PM/President. Not in Treaty, and it's not in the EU Commission's remit.

There is no centralised command, every country's troops would need to be sent at the option of whatever legal deployment procedures exist in the individual states. And they can all say "nah mate" if they so wish.

Fancy spinning the wheel that a Le Pen or Orban would come to our military aid? You're making up a defence commitment from the EU to Ireland that simply doesn't exist. And you know what the irony of it is? We made it that way.

Advertisement