Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Kangaroo leather is used for a lot of bike gloves. This is all very silly IMHO

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

California had it banned for a while so all the high end sports gear and fashion items were generally calf skin. For abrasion I don't think that holds up as well. Still got sold there a lot as the agencies involved in tracking it had bigger things to keep an eye out for.

You'd see CA edition on football boots sometimes.

Goat would be second best I think.

Unless it's made illegal I doubt any bike gear manufactures will follow suit on their own (maybe the cheaper or the more fashion focused kind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is the kangaroo leather bouncy? 😀

Not your ornery onager

Unless it's made illegal I doubt any bike gear manufactures will follow suit on their own (maybe the cheaper or the more fashion focused kind).

Yeah. As someone once said, it's a lot easier for the so-called animal rights crowd to go after little old ladies with fur collared coats than leather wearing biker gangs 😁

Anyway I have no problem wearing any animal I've eaten and I've eaten roo 😉

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Good to see GT-85 back in Aldi.

No harm in stocking up 😁

• Advertisement

A lot of people use WD40 to lubricate parts even though it's not really a lubricant. I've never used this GT85 stuff but see it has PTFE, you find it good so?

Scrap the cap!

Apparently today was National Slow Down Day 🙄 didn't see any gardai - how about you?

Scrap the cap!

Yep.

A lad on a new Bmw1000rr came against me probably doing 140mph ish.

Then less than a mile later a Garda Jeep sort of thing with flashing lights went by at ,not quite 140 but over 120mph I'd say.

Yikes. Surely a ban.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

You think they caught him?

I wonder did he get off the main road.

They'd surely be on the radio to have a couple of squads up ahead.

Just got my insurance renewal quote.

Down a fiver from last year.

Wonders will never cease.

I reckon a Garda "jeep sort of thing"'s fuel tank can last a lot longer than an S1000RR's.. and they have radios, and colleagues.

Scrap the cap!

But anyway, the concept of a "national slow down day" is pretty thick. How about a "National drive competently year" which starts every 1 Jan and renews the next 1 Jan 👍️

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

They wouldn't have the gumption to have a "put away your feckin mobile phone day" but one is badly needed!

Not like they're ignoring it, it's the second largest offense going by the stats. Distant second to speeding which is 7x more, but that's also includes those caught by the cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Breezin

It's endemic now, and we seem to have reached the point where many people are comfortable with it.

I will contact the Commissioner and propose a mobile phone compliance corp (MPCC) comprising yours truly. Alternatively, the Shooting Fish in a Barrel Unit (SFBU). I'd say I'd pay my Garda salary in a month or two just standing at a junction.

So, what are you planning on shooting them with 😉

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭muddle84

Do they even need to catch them? Don't all the cars have dash cams now?

No Room For Error: A 4 part documentary showing on ITV4 on May 22nd, 23rd, 24th and 25th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

How the hell are so many people doing it with bluetooth being standard in cars for the last 10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Something I’ll never understand

The only plausible explanation I have is that people haven’t bothered their arses reading the manual and/or figuring out how to mate their phones with the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭muddle84

I do know some people that won't leave bluetooth on all the time so it doesn't automatically connect then they don't think of it. Bluetooth/5G conspiracy types🤷

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

When is the last time you seen people from a certain generation (although it creeping into ones that should know better) use a phone for an actual phone call? It's instagram, tiktok and the like they are looking at these days - so apart from music, bluetooth is feck all use to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Had my first incident this morning. Fella drove into the side of me while I was on a roundabout and he was coming onto it. Thankfully no damage to either me or the bike. Just in cityspares now getting the lads to give it a check over.

Glad you're ok.

Check inside fairings for damage as well.

Any plastic lugs/ tabs that you can't see might get snapped without noticing it.

Seen them broke on a headlight before and owner didn't realise it at the time after a car backed into his bike and knocked it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Def. I dropped my versys and the little spacers between the two fairing panels broke. You don't see it at all til you take them off.

Was watching a revzilla video this week with a bunch of 300-400cc bikes being compared.

One of the things they were scoring on was repairability going by parts cost, they'd the bike on the side and cost up everything that touched the ground.

Had extremes from $100+ for a oem clutch lever to $7 for the same on another bike, to a electric bike from a small manufacturer where you just couldn't get parts yet.

Definitely going to start looking up part costs then browsing bikes: clutch, pegs, lights, plastic.

I wouldn't worry too much about any popular model of bike - you should have little trouble getting good used bits.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Hi folks,

Any recommendations on a place to get bike detailed and protected?

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 668 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

^

When I see that style of helmets it just reminds me of the helmet the Rocketeer wore 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Hi folks,

Any recommendations on where to go for a leather 2 piece suit?

Have some money left over after changing bike so going to get some new gear.

Looking at rst or alpinestars maybe,

I know online is cheaper bit would like to try stuff on and see how it fits and don't mind supporting a good irish shop.

Cheers

Rob

Dainese in Bikeworld for jacket/pants/boots imo

Since I know exactly what fits me with Shoei lids I get them online (motorcycleshop.ie is good)

Gloves would be wherever has an offer on.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭goblin59

two tracksuit wearing **** stains tried to rob my GS the otherday outside the lidl in smithfield.

As soon as I went in the shop door they had jumped off the scooter to try and get on my bike. They legged it before I could grab one of them.

No helmets and grey tracksuit on a beatup moped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭GBX

At least you were close by. Feral c**TS.

just wish i got closer to grab one! let the garda know, but I'd say they bastards were well gone by then

I asked for a quote on a tiger 660 yesterday when I was renewing my insurance. 900 and something. 305 for my Versys. Thought that was a bit mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭TheRona

I've given up trying to figure out insurance.

I had paid €450 upfront for the year for a CB500X with Principal (which I still think is expensive). They wanted another €350 off me when I switched to a Tracer 7. €800 for the year!!

I got a quote from Liberty for €600 and another from Carole Nash for €350. Needless to say, I switched to Carole Nash.

800 for the fire breathing Tracer 7. Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They can't start it so do they just run off with it and try start it later ?

yeah, they push it to a location and then try to hotwire it.

the GS has a immobiliser which I think is part of the Canbus system, so can't be hotwired easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭JP 1800

Whats going on with all the bike thefts lately. I have come across several people with the same stories and was talking to my local bike mechanic who was working on two bikes that were recovered after being stolen. It seems like the 90s again where bikes instead of cars are been stolen for joy riding.

Yeah, my mechanic said that he had a couple of Gardai in his shop recently and they said the little scrotes know they can't be touched at the moment. Apparently the Gards are about to given more powers to go after them again, so we'll see what difference it makes.

yeah because they are under 18 the garda can't do ****.

Called past my bike shop today, and the guy said someone got in touch with him just recently with a brand new Tracer that wouldn't start anymore, they thought it might be the immobiliser playing up. He said no problem, just bring the bike in with the log book, and he'll take a look. Of course, the guy never showed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

My 4 year odyssey is over as I finally passed my test last Friday!

I did the IBT in Sept 19, went on the waiting list in 2021 (when renewing the permit). Got offered a test in Dec 21 but was still fighting to get my log book updated to show the correct info and my IBT had expired so had to leave it off. Re-took the IBT in May and got a test in Sept 22, failed as was not far enough over when stopped to turn at a junction (marked me down 5 times for the same thing) - my own fault, should have had pre-test lessons to catch that kind of stuff. Went back on list that night and took until last week before I got a second crack it. I made sure I had a pre-test lesson in this time and passed. Not a minute too soon as my learner permit was expiring today.

Just wanted to give my story for anyone getting frustrated waiting to be called - you will get there eventually, hopefully without another pandemic costing you 2 years! 😉

Been better if he'd not said anything and check out the vin/reg with the guards.

I passed as rest of test went well but the tester said similar for position at a junction that I could have been hit with a few things there as well so got lucky he didn't as depending on the category's that could have screwed me so I only got the 1 grade 2 there.

His instruction was continue along or with or something, but it was a T junction so didn't make sense but at last minute I noticed the tiny left only sign from roadworks that were up to the right. I was late to spotting it and had position in centre of lane and since in the wrong position I left room on left, and since there was room I should have checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Strictly speaking the rules of the road say to keep over so traffic going straight on or right can pass (if you're turning) but I won't be hugging the kerb as much as I was during the test.

Way too many d**k heads in big SUVs who will try to muscle around you going in the same direction if you do (in my experience) so you end up in the ditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Got a little leak from the slave cylinder on the B12. Only needs a rubber seal, but ordered the kit from wemoto €34. A bit pricy for a rubber seal but whatever. Of course I forgot about good old brexit, an post/customs €11 on top. Probably get the seal for a fiver in a bearing shop. Would have to be wary about buying any decent kit from the UK. Especially as there's no mention of charges when you buy online until an post sends an email.

• Advertisement
Advertisement