Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan for land

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

No bother getting the finance I guess but it's the fact that they are so slow and unhelpful. The local branch is pointless for example. Everything is through the phone and email with the crowd in Dublin. Then they post out forms to sign and wait for you to send them back. Then they have to process them again before anything happens. They must never have heard of docusign. Went into my local branch one day to ask what's the holdup and any chance of a bit of progress. Nothing to do with us they said. Ring the Dublin number. Only time my local branch became interested was to sell me life assurance. Rang me up with their fake niceties and then they couldn't understand I didn't even want a quote off of them.

In future I will be looking at different lenders because there is no advantage to having a local branch anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭divillybit

I'm sitting on 80k in cash and the way inflation is going I'm thinking of buying some land. I enquired about a 15 acre plot a few miles from me, 100k is the asking price, and asked permission from auctioneer to walk the land. Its up for sale a good while and apparently has had no bids on it according to the lad in the office. Had a look at it today and while it's good land its very very overgrown, alot of whins etc growing. But has great potential. So thinking I'll bid on it, but realistically 60k is the max I'd give for it, so like 4k an acre. Have 80k in cash, and I like the idea of a plot of ground as a project. I'm not a farmer, mid 30s public sector worker and have the house paid off. Seems like a safe enough investment. Any bidding strategy tips? Might offer 50k, half the asking price but its a cash bid and the owner might be glad to be rid of it. Had a look at the Folio on land direct and there's no charge or other burdens on the Folio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

€50 is too low a bid. Go 65/70.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

1+

You can get a fellas back up by trying to be too smart. Don’t insult the man offering by offering a price for bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

It depends on the land really. No offers at all tells its own story.

You will need another 10k to put the land some way right between clearing, ditches, dikes, fencing and draining (this could be fore than 10k if needed), reseeding etc.

Then “what” is the question. Land is a safe enough buy to hold money as long as you are not paying over the odds.

Off topic but 10 -20 years ago a fella same as you would be desperately trying to buy a second house to rent out…….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And the house ( actually an apartment) would still be the better option. 15 acres is neither here nor there. Most farmers are trying to mo e away from small lots unless they directly ajoin them

However at the same time if he is interested offering 50k is not really realistic unless you tell the auctioneer there is a bit more but you want to know what he will sell it at.

Realistically the owner will not sell probably below 80 even if that. If I was interested I bit 75 or even 80 and in the case of 80 just refuse to move further

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

In my view the auctioneer would double cross the buyer in this scenario as his fee comes from the seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

In this scenario what auctioneer (presumably having told the seller the land is worth €100k) is going now going to tell the seller they should accept a bid of half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭divillybit

I'd say it'd need another 20 - 30 grand to put it right as really it would need a digger in there for several weeks tidying it up. There's a nice fall on the land but it was very wet so I'd say theres an iron pan in the soil and may need to be mole ploughed too. So it would need alot spent on it. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't sold by now. But 60k - 65k is really the max I'd offer on it. I'd have access to 6 tonne digger for a few weeks so would aim to do alot the work myself. Would contacting the owner by letter at the address on the Folio be a big no no, as in to bypass the auctioneer and his fees and negotiate with the owner directly?

I don't want to invest in a 2nd house as a rental, plenty of smarter folk than me have rentals and are exiting the market so that says alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Yeah that sort of ground takes alot to get right. Try and get it over the Summer as burning of bushes banned by end of this year. Cost alot to mulch all those whins. Also spray the new ones coming up which will take a couple of years to get on top of. Grazeon 90 best.

In my opinion you could be better off with shares as by the time you look at cost of buying, stamp duty at 7%, solicitors fees, Insurance for the land etc then clear land, plough, drain reseed and spray and for a return of 3k max if rented out and prob less as rough grazing land it sounds like not alot.

Also land with an Iron pan is a disaster. HAve some myself impossible to keep it drained, did plenty of drainage on my own land, stone pipe stone, open drains etc and no use.

Still if you like the land go for it price of a fancy car no more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

"It must be emphasized again that there is no current solution to the permanent iron ochre problem."

Most important bit from that Guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you want to buy land with your money then general inflation is irrelevant. The only inflation that matters is the price of land. Although there is the other factor of availability of land you want too.

i.e. an increase of 5% in CPI is irrelevant is land slows down 5%. And vice-versa

Is anyone familiar with consolidation relief? I was looking at it a while back and on a naive reading of it, it would appear to offer a loophole to people from paying 7.5% Stamp Duty down to 1% if you were going to purchase a large block. I'd imagine though that they wouldn't allow it in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

If 60 is the max you'll go then make one offer at that and see what happens, forestry has put a floor in peoples mind of 4k so unless someone desperate to sell can't see chance for less. Deal with auctioneer and dont go directly to owner

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

At the end of the time the auctioneer will get no fee if he fails to sell it. An offer of 50k is only a bit with 3k/ acre. In general the worst of bog makes that. Forestry is 4-5/ acre at present.

An auctioneer will generally double cross anybody. I cannot the way the present market is see it selling for less than 70-80k and I be guessing above 80k.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Good land around here was making 8 to 10k per acre 5 years ago. The same land is making 15 to 20k today. All gone mad. It amazing what a few goods years of milk has done. If it stays going it will be 30k in the next 5 to 10 years or it could be back down to 8k per acre if the arse falls out of it. I cannot get my head around it why lads are killing themselves working all hours and still want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Monie-1

That's so costly. Here, in India, the rate is 1224.09 euro per acre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

It's already up on €30k peracre in this corner of North Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

What's driving up to that in north Wexford apart from stupidity.

Advertisement