Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

It's 5am as far as I remember. The first flight is the amsterdam one at 6ish? It's one hour before that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Looks like Turkish are going to Shannon:

I still, maybe foolishly, think it was a mistake to redo the runway and not extend it. The airport in all comms seem laser focused on long haul but maybe don’t have the infrastructure to support it. It looks like a bit of a misalignment. We’ll see in 2024 which I believe was their target year for a lot of these routes

Post edited by snotboogie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Thats massive news for Shannon if that comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

What aircraft would they be using if they came to Cork? They have both 737 max and A321 neo aircrafts. Both are fine for Cork. I would be surprised if they'd use anything bigger than that out of Shannon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Vueling really messing people around now. Just had notification that my flight to Paris has been switched to Dublin in early June but the return flight is still in to Cork. Mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I will never ever understand why they didn't even attempt to extend the runway. Cork needs transatlantic and transcontinental flights. That will not happen without a longer runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Why does Cork need transatlantic flights? The airport has a pretty good European route network going, enough to sustain a pretty impressive rebound after years of the plague, so I'd say the airport is in a pretty good position. Any transatlantic flight, even with an extended runway, would not amount to much more than one or two destinations, served may two to three times a week max, which isn't much in the grand scheme of movements at Cork airport. Now would it be nice? Of course, but it wouldn't be essential.

What's really needed is more airlines, particularly more airlines that serve Cork all year round. The ongoing Ryanair/Aer Lingus duopoly does present a significant risk to the airport, as the apparent neglect shown towards Cork in recent times clearly demonstrates. Getting Iberia back, getting Lufthansa to go year-round on the Frankfurt route and attracting the likes of LOT or ITA Airlines would all massively help Cork, much more than a transatlantic connection.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

You'd imagine they could get JFK, Newark and Logan each 3 times a week and maybe even Chicago, Philadelphia or Atlanta once a week if the runway allowed it. You'd also be able to go for a Middle Eastern carrier like Qatar to facilitate one stop trips to Australia or New Zealand maybe twice week a la Cardiff. You could be looking at adding up to 15 flights per week in high season. I just don't see that sort of potential volume on any mix of European city routes, which generally operate on much smaller planes. I'd agree that this would all be literally pie in the sky except the airport themselves have repeatedly and consistently stated transatlantic as a major goal. If they believe the sort of volume above is possible then I see their point but why not actually campaign for the infrastructure to support these routes rather than chasing marginal seasonal load restricted flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its hard with Shannon up the road, and if the M20 ever gets built, it'll make even less sense.

Lets have Cork - Dublin flights Aer Lingus / Emerald flights linked in with Dublins transatlantic route network.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

Cork needs to ditch the mentality that it deserves transatlantic flights. When Norwegian operated it wasn't terribly well supported because it didn't go to Boston and heaven forfend that anyone from Cork could get the train from Providence to Boston (or even New York).

We're a small country with two airports providing transatlantic flights. Cork should be fighting for better European connectivity and also for inbound flights that bring tourists rather than just export our euros to somewhere warm with nice food, cheap wine, no rain.

• Advertisement

Agree 100% with this. Cork would need more than a longer runway. Other 2 have pre clearance etc. If anything its sometime for long term.

In the short to medium term there are better more realistic targets the airport should aim for. They have been successful in attracting airlines other than airlingus and ryanair. They need to build on this. Also focus on developing routes to more European hubs such as Madrid and Lisbon. We have a lot living here now from south america who would travel through these hubs not to mention all the Spanish and Portuguese living in munster region. Good weekend destinations too

Airport also needs more year round destinations. Some of the summer routs have short windows ie May/June to early sept. Try to get airlines to run more wks of the summer season. Iberbia Express to Madrid ran to a v short season and anytime i took the flight it was full. Hopefully the likes of a Glasgow service will be back soon. Focus on these things and you wouldnt be long bringing up passenger numbers to 2.5million from last years 2.24 million.In 2008 airport hit 3.25 millions passengers without transatlantic so proof it can grow without it.

Out of interest would anyone know what were the destinations for 2008 to get those numbers

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm assuming Ryanair haven't released a lot of their winter schedule yet or have I read it wrong? No Rome flights up yet for example.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'd also love to know if there's a way to see past routes. Is there any website/archive online who keeps a track of this?

I've seen on the thread here that both Madrid and Budapest used to be options from Cork, both places I've been looking to go to recently. Also remember they tried Reykjavik a few years ago but it didn't last that long.

That correct Iceland would have been around 2016 or 2017. I availed of the service at the time as Iceland was on my bucket list.

Iberria express did a few summers to madrid was popular. Never returned after covid sadly. Hopefully they can get them back and to serve a longer yime frame over the summer period.

I think ryanair only served BudApest and malta for 1 maybe 2 seasions from cork before moving them to shannon. Malta seems to be doing well from shannon.

Turkey use to be served from cork and is a popular sun destination went kursadai from cork think 2012 i wasnt gone on it but know plenty who are return visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Wasn't there a big shift to SNN by Ryanair about 2018-2109 regarding money and Cork lost some of the Budapest type routes. There was even talk of shutting the Cork base to cause a stir.

Remember back in 2000s and thoughts of airlines like KLM, Air France or Swiss coming to Cork were a Dreamland. But then again, AL cared about Cork back then.

Budapest and Malta were both lost during Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I don't get the attitude that if Shannon and Dublin has transatlantic routes, then why should Cork need it? With no transatlantic flights, Cork still trashes Shannon's passenger numbers every year. That alone says a flight to New York or a summer flight to Florida would do well. It's not about deserving it. It's simply hard to imagine them not doing very well.

That airlines are now using smaller and more economic aircrafts for long haul routes hopefully means its just a matter of time before something happens. Apparently Delta were going to launch something, but the pandemic got in the way.

The Providence flight wasn't a good route to judge whether or not transatlantic flights would work out of Cork to be fair. Other than it being a destination most would have no interest in, the flight left Cork in the evening. So you're losing a day, compared to if you went out of Shannon with Aer Lingus in the morning. The time and destination was also useless for business passengers. However, I seem to remember that it was one of Norwegians most profitable routes that year.

All of that doesn't mean there shouldn't also be a push for more European destinations. They definitely need more city break destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

There is a way to find out. Go to the Wikipedia page and in the top right, click View History. It is a bit finnicky, but you can go back to past edits to see what the destinations table containted. Looking at April 2007, some of the flights that were there that are no longer include Belfast-City, Nantes, Barcelona, Berlin, Madrid, Prague, Warsaw, Krakow, Budapest and Dublin. These were with various different airlines

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow thanks! Must go and have a look later. Would be terrific being able to fly to all those destinations from Cork, there was a better selection of destinations 16 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I don't think it was during Covid - Ryanair relaunched their entire route network post-covid (and made a big fuss of it being the entire network).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

Peculiar one but the Sunday Edelweiss arrival from ZRH appears to be overnighting in Cork before returning to ZRH on Monday morning.

Was post covid.they moved to shannon and cork go Valencia etc instead

Of the 2007 destinations would love to see them get Barcelona and Berlin back. Dare i even say belfast 3 times a wk. V popular for weekend breaks, gigs etc Did it myself around 2007 flew from cork

Malta and Budapest both never came back to Cork after Covid.

Flew from Cork to Malta in Autumn 2021, I think it ended that October and went to Shannon shortly afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I used the Cork - New York (Via Reykjavík in Iceland) - it was great! Total travel time was roughly the same as you spent 2 hours in the airport rather than 4 hours to dublin and arriving early.

The catch was preclearence but it still meant I was using Cork.

I really would love that back as connecting in Reykjavík gives options onwards to 10 American cities & Canada

Plus its all booked through one Airline so connecting is more protected.

New York

Boston

Baltimore

Washington

Detroit

Chicago

Minneapolis

Denver

Portland

Seattle

Vancouver

toronto.

I reckon it would be worth trying to get PLAY the Icelandic airline to cork. It's a no brainer.

The trains from Zurich airport get a bit sparse later in the night. The Swiss are planners, if there isn’t a good connection at the far side they might update the flight schedule.

Ryanair appear to be releasing their W23/24 schedule at the moment from looking at the app. The following are either new for winter schedule or have a capacity increase at the moment

East Midlands, EDI, Faro, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Malaga, Palma, Rome, Seville, Tenerife.

Hopefully some more new routes to be announced in due course

Lufthansa. A Cork Frankfurt direct flight is finally back!

LH 985

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Do you mean today is Day 1? Or is it back year round?

Frankfurt / Kerry is year round. We have family an hour away from Frankfurt, so it being year round in Cork would be handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

It's been back since at least April 30th. Trust me, I was on that flight 😉

Wish they'd switch the route over to Embraers though. The CRJ-900 isn't really my favourite aircraft out there...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Advertisement