Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

He doesn't want to apply in Pakistan because they are third world and his standard of living would be low. He doesn't want to apply in one of the wealthy gulf states because they don't offer this service.

He chose Ireland because of the reasons you alluded to.

I believe it was Katie Hopkins who asked the question "if Islam is so great why are most of the refugees choosing former Christian (now increasingly atheist of course) countries to move to?"

It's a valid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

We are horrible racists as our media and left wing friends like to tell us relentlessly, yet everybody wants to be here. Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You’ve wheeled out that ‘anti immigration guys’ trope repeatedly throughout this thread. It’s now time for you to define the cohort to whom you’re referring.

Precisely, who are these ‘guys’? The small number of fringe right wing parties? The protesters, who articulated their concerns about large numbers of IPAs being dropped into their communities, under the cloak of darkness? The guys down the pub who complain about the visible demographic changes in their neighbourhood? Or perhaps your definition is broader? Does it encompass all Irish people who are concerned about the current volumes of inward migration and desire the implementation of more robust controls? Which is it?

I don’t agree with you on anything and believe your posting style to be utterly disingenuous. However, you are correct in your assertion that immigration is unlikely to be front-and-center in the next GE. Conversely, where you’re utterly incorrect is declaring this issue to be transient. As the demographic composition of our population continues to change, the levels of anxiety and discomfort will rise inexorably, manifesting in the political discourse. It’s coming whether you like it or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

This poll was before the wider protests and media attention

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But it's the type of issue that could be a relative non event in a general election campaign..It doesn't help the anti-immigration guys that even the main opposition parties don't want to make a thing of it.

To take this point to the extreme, it could be one of the main issues for the voters but turn out not to have a significant impact on the outcome of the election as many/most of those looking for more restrictive immigrant policies may conclude they have nobody credible to vote for who would be proposing to implement such policies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tells us all we need to know about the catastrophic situation we are in that the state wants to tap the President's residence for room.

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,466 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The anti-immigration people would be those who believe it is "time for a zero refugee policy" as per the title of this very thread.

When you speak of 'the implementation of more robust controls' on immigration, what are you referring to? It's very difficult to see how the Irish government could do anything without being in serious breach of EU freedom of movement rules and / or international refugee law.

Any party promising such policies in its election manifesto would be proposing something illegal under current international refugee law, to which Ireland has signed up to. Before anyone says they are merely proposing that Ireland 'opt out' of the international refugee system, this would viewed by most as a pretty outrageous thing for any political party to put into an election manifesto....the worst type of cynical populism designed to win votes and achieve nothing else. The Tory Brexit regime has gone down this route of course but seems to be pride itself on being a rogue state on the edge of Europe and one for whom international law means nothing.

That doesn’t answer my question. You’ve re-used that trope incessantly. Have the moral courage to stand over your assertion. Identify the segments of society who you perceive to be the ‘anti-immigration guys’. Perhaps it’s time to acknowledge that you’ve constructed some malignant cohort in your own head, No?

Whilst it’s incredibly tedious, I’ll indulge your disingenuousness once again. There was a 500% YoY increase in asylum applications from CY 2021 to CY 2022. It would be relatively straightforward to restore some order, by reversing course on Roderick O’Gorman’s ‘own door’ accommodation strategy. Put the word out that Ireland has had a rethink; the standard mode of accommodation going forward will be dormitory-style. Enforce a decent % of deportation orders. Do not pursue a self-deport policy. Actually deport failed asylum seekers. Step up checks to further drive down the numbers arriving sans documentation.

The second migration channel currently being roundly abused is the English language visa factories, primarily by ‘students’ from Latin America. Shut down the bogus colleges, which are essentially a thinly veiled front for people trafficking and eliminate employment rights for ‘students’. Watch the numbers entering the country drop precipitously via this channel.

Neither approach contravenes ‘international law’ and will not make Ireland a pariah state, no matter how badly you desire that to be true.

I do not recall one person on this thread arguing that we should push back against intra-EU freedom of movement. In fact, virtually all of Ireland’s migration needs can be satiated by a bloc of 450 million fellow EU/EFTA citizens.

You’re now making stuff up to deflect yet again. Within the last few pages of this thread, you’ve claimed that protestors in local communities were ‘targeting refugees’, you’ve reiterated your ‘anti-immigration guys’ nonsense, and are now arguing against a point that nobody has actually made. Keep going. It’s entertaining witnessing the mental gymnastics on display to support an increasingly threadbare narrative.

More half-truths / lies. Nobody is suggesting that Ireland withdraws from the UN convention on refugees. However, there are perfectly legal levers we can execute to make the system significantly more restrictive. See a few baseline examples in my previous post.

Please just stop propagating utter rubbish. You’re embarrassing yourself.

• Advertisement

EU law is not the only thing at play here. There is also the 1951 Refugee Convention and the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), both of which Ireland is a signatory to.

'Legal' and 'illegal' might be overstating things, but it would certainly be in breach of international law. Something nobody seems to be factoring is that if an Irish government went down this route, it is very likely that it would find itself being overruled by the Irish courts. Any 'genuine' refugee would be free to take a test case to the High Court or even the Supreme Court and would more than likely win their appeal (on the grounds that the Govt would be breaching international law - to which Ireland signed up - by attempting to deport a genuine refugee).

A lot of these laws about asylum seeker rights were put in place post world war two when the world was a very different place. It was pre smuggling gangs and pre-tictoc.

Ireland failed to provide for an Afghan? I would imagine a genuine asylum seeker would be someone bombed out of their house in Belfast. They just make a short trip south. That would make sense. But this?

When they have this phrase "housing for all" they really must literally mean ALL. Like literally anybody from literally anywhere in the planet.

Strazdas, out of interest what is your own positon on the matter?

Do you think anything needs to change wrt how we handle asulym seekers and/or immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Is that (ridiculous) judgement consequential? Is this guy owed some kind of payment for unnecessary stress? Do the government have to prioritise newcomers over locals as far as social housing goes? This is all so absolutely absurd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

those international laws aren’t binding, the likes of France doesn’t adhere to them like we do as our refusal rate for asylum is a tiny fraction of that of France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

“ viewed by most as pretty outrageous “

most of the media and NGO class , certainly, the general population?, I’d have my doubts

housing

health

crime

cost of living

those are what jump out on a party manifesto, not whether the country has dared to act in its own interests rather than faithfully following UN pledges on asylum seekers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So this "17 year old" arrived with no documents and we are just supposed to take his word for it, no wonder he travelled through various safe countries before coming here because he knew full well they wouldn't put up with any of this nonsense.

No fear Gibney mentioned any of this during her soft interview with RTE on Friday.

I actually think this ruling is great, as it should further open people's eyes to how ridiculous the system is

• Advertisement

they will likley pay for it, if the opinion polls on immigration are anything to go by.

Will they? Where are those voters going to go?

But it would be a bit of a nonsensical claim to put in a manifesto. Saying "Once we are in government, we will put a cap on asylum seeker numbers", when this would clearly fall foul of various international laws and conventions and would be wide open to challenges in the Irish courts - it's the type of cynical PR stunt the Tory Brexit regime is engaging in cross channel (in truth, the Tories couldn't give the slightest hoot about refugee numbers...they are just trying to win votes).

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Refugee turns up at Intreo centre with a hammer demanding money.

Every day there are videos. One the other day of someone getting up on the roof of a car and taking a poop.

This is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

The European pact on migration that was voted on by the European Parliament this week said that Member States should set quotas of how many people they could accept

"And it calls on countries to voluntarily set their own quotas on how many migrants they would be willing to take in." https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-lawmakers-endorse-pact-revise-migration-rules/

Through ignorance and lack of interest in looking at policies SF or the SDs maybe, as ridiculous as that sounds

Indeed, but in that case Ireland would still be following EU law and would not be going on a solo run.

I'm scratching my head though at how such a quota system would even work. Let's say the official quota for 2024 or 2025 has been reached and then a genuine asylum seeker from, say, Afghanistan or Sudan presents themselves at Dublin Airport. Does Ireland then deport that person back to Afghanistan or Sudan?? Presumably refugees would keep arriving in EU states no matter what system or what quotas were in place.

If someone is that ill-informed and disengaged to think they'd get more restrictive immigration policies from SF or SDs I doubt they'd bother voting at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trying to think of the last ra head I met who is pro mass immigration and I can't think of a single one.

I think SF has a disconnect issue with it's traditional voter base on immigration.

• Advertisement

Their inability to get a handle on this is one of the many reasons I won't be voting FG again.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see a larger than usual independent vote. Not sure where I'll go myself, maybe Aontu, depending on the candidate.

Advertisement