Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Interesting that Timmy was picked, I know Derek and the U20 management think a lot of him. Himself, Billy and Gearoid would have missed most if not all the weekend away in Cork so suprising to see him picked but I'd like to see him get a few runs as he has plenty of potential and his runs can be very incisive. Interesting to see how Darragh Corcoran goes in midfield and how Padraig goes back out in the half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

Like the look of that team alot, allways wanted padraig on the half and if the ballyhale duo can repeat their club form in midfield we might have finally found a county midfield.lioking forward to saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

It's Ronan Corcoran that plays midfield for Ballyhale though, not sure about Darragh as a midfielder at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The team and subs, for the Westmeath match, released by Kilkenny GAA doesn't have any numbers. Is this to do with the new ruling by Croke Park I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Team announcements and positions mean absolutely nothing now . I see where Tipp named their squad and this could become more popular and its probably not far away that players will just have squad numbers for the year.Match Programmes are a bit farcical at times with all the changes made before throw in.

The u20s play the last game of the round robin this weekend which will determine either a quarter final or a semi final. It's great that they get a match before the seniors. We seen last week what they're capable off when they have everyone. They will have concerns about concededing 3-20.Hopefully they can get denis walsh back and bill Hughes and Ben whitty must also have niggles. As someone else said with the 2 lads not available for different reasons it will give 2 lads a chance. I know they were fierce dissapointed after the wexford match after the great start they stopped hurling and didn't restart till they made a few changes. Tomorrow's team will be stronger and they learnt a bit in defeat.

Liam Collins not available for galway u20 this wknd he's on the senior panel. I would expect most u20s to be available when the knockout starts.

The seniors are probably in a no win situation. If they win by 10 we'll be disappointed that we didn't win by 20. Without being one bit disrespectful this is preparation for the galway match the following week. KK will want to put this game to bed early.What will give Westmeath hope Is they put it up to kk till half time last year and drew with Wexford. They also beat Laois in the relegation final to stay up.Cillian doyle is a big loss to them.Alot of players from both squads were involved in that u21 shock defeat.

Ballyhale back boning the team tomorrow and 6 players on the county team is a great achievement. Players are so fluid now they will move around and jersey positions mean absolutely nothing.i think Corcoran played a bit midfield for UL but himself and mullen are well able to hurl. Everyone will want to impress with a big game coming the following week. Consistency is the big word for a few of the fowards. We need Ryan,Cody,Donnelly to make the step up and nail down a spot.i also like the look of Clifford. He is direct and has pace. Maybe he's not ready to make the step up this year but every minute he gets will give him experience.

The minors away to the leinster champions early Sunday afternoon in a knockout game.Offally have lost a lot of players from last years squad. Kk started well in the first 2 matches and even the 1st half against galway only 3 points down after playing against a nice breeze. The wheels completely came off the wagon in the 2nd half so hopefully lessons can be learnt from that defeat. How far away is Ed McDermott he would be a help to the attack? Galway look to have a serious minor team and its highly rated, I would be suprised if they didn't win the leinster title at least. Galway have an impressive backroom team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Kittens

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Paddy Deegan out injured he had surgery today

Evan Cody who had done well in cork out injured

young Drennan out for a couple of weeks

wonder why Ronan Corcoran not able to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

Billy drenann injury could be more serious (hope not)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Derek lyng said its not as serious as initially feared. He will be back in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Is TJ playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

As things stand none of Dublin/Wexford/ Galway would put the fear of God in you ..I know its early but I thought galway would be better..

Will.be very interesting to see what team actually starts tonight..here's hoping for a solid performance and a win whilst avoiding injuries

Galway pulling away now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Is the senior game been covered anywhere other than radio? gaago etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

This game was over before it started being honest as westmeath seemed to think they had no hope whatsoever.....Backs weren't tested in anyway and generally had loads of time on the ball to pick out players further up the field, Midfield is still a massive concern on tonight's evidence, Paddy Mullen's shooting let him down big time with a few very poor wides for this level, Darragh Corcoran came away with 2 points but I'd be surprised to see him there the next day out.

Adrian Mullen was easily the standout player, 6 points from play and if he wanted could have had more.

John Donnelly and Eoin Cody are definitely over complicating things too much, multiple goal opportunities tonight but no composure shown at all, Cody in particular seems to be putting too much pressure on himself, Hopefully he can improve in this facet for next week.

TJ showed some lovely touches and got some lovely scores, was a bit rusty at the start which was understandable but he will come on big time with more game time under his belt.

For me I still prefer Billy Ryan in half forward line as I think he's better running at players from deep.

Clifford still learning at this level also, showed some really good flashes.

Mossy looked sharp when brought on but he needs more consistency as we've said before, I expect he could feature from start next week.

Lots to improve on for next week, everyone will know they have to up their game as this will be a world apart from the experience tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Couldn't agree more.

Cody in particular overcomplicates his decision making. Could have had a goal at the finish had he struck 1st time. That's the disappointing thing that we got no goal as we will need to raise the green flag v Galway. TJ was certainly rusty but that game will bring on his touch. Paddy mullen not helping his case after today but hopefully he'll get another crack v Galway. Today was a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Galway is the one to win. We have dublin at home and antrim away so we should be looking to be qualified for a leinster final by the time Wexford Park comes around. Hard to gauge much on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Standard in Leinster is so poor. Time for an open draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Adrian Mullen was best on show this evening. The backs did what they had to do against limited opposition with Richie Reid getting on a world of ball. I think TJ got 4 scores from play and despite his age and lack of recent matches is still a threat. John Donnelly took his scores well but should have had another couple. There will be a few players dissappointed that they didn't make hay this evening. Billy Ryan and Timmy Clifford would have expected to score more. Eoin Cody got 2 points but should have had 6 or 7 points and maybe a goal. At the moment, he is taking too much out of the ball.

Paddy Mullen will be dissapointed with his accuracy today. Midfield continues to be a problem with no one saying to Lyng that they are a marked improvement on Fogarty, Deegan or Buckley. Next week against Galway is going to be huge. A win and they should be in the Leinster Final. Lose and they may need to beat Wexford to stay alive.

Kilkenny were lucky to be level at half time against Dublin at U20 as the latter hit a lot of wides. Kilkenny were the better team in the second half but a late Dublin goal made things tight. In another era, you would be marking out Joe Fitzpatrick as a great prospect as a half back as he had some terrific catches but unfortunately that is less important in the modern game. Speed is a more important asset.

As am aside, it was good to see a referee penalize throw balls

Just on the u20s we nearly threw it away. We were in command for most of the 2nd half and had a lot of wides in thar half but I can't understand how dublins striking was so bad. I know it was a wet day but they're striking and wides were very poor, especially in the 1st half. If we had gone in 10 points down no one would have been surprised.

We did hurl a lot better 2nd half and joe fitzpatrick was impressive. The other thing that was evident was that we completely stood off dublin in the 1st half. It just looked like our shape was disjointed. Eoghan Lyng a fine hurler but pace a little lacking.

Still it gives the lads a boost coming to the knockouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Don’t judge too harshly, dreadful weather.

• Advertisement

it certainly was dreadful weather and getting the win was a priority

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Would Kilkenny put the fear of god in any of those teams you have mentioned my answer would be no.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Probably not, but bar Limerick i think theres 5/6 teams who would fancy their chances against everyone else.

I'd agree with your answer too..take out limerick and it would be a very open championship with everyone capable of beating each other

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Half Time in the minor - KK 2-5, Offaly 0-8. An absolute cheat (no other word available to describe him) reffing it and keeping Offaly in the game. Bergin has had words with him and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Ye just home from the minor match good win dreadful one sided refereeing. Some of our players were very good some were woeful. I won’t name names.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Lads what this with jimmy Meagher? Very little about it in media. 40k fraud. Did he get jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh i did. Its pay walled. Terrible stuff all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Anyone know who owns/runs the "refreshments stall" in the park? Used it for the first time yesterday and was charged €12 for a tea/coffee and two kit kats 😳😳 son is just home from Krakow and got 6 cocktails and 6 shots for €13.80. Ripoff Ireland is alive and well 👍

Advertisement