Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Will be shocked if O'Gara doesn't start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭MacDanger

What's the story with Brian Howard that he's not starting? He looked brilliant when he first came onto the team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

He was away travelling for a few months. Only came back towards end of league. Made a couple of appearances off the bench in league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I can see O Gara and possibly Costelloe starting. Should be a comfortable win.

The hurlers look strong with good options like Whitely and Hayes off the bench.

Antrim will see this as a great chance to take a scalp. No moral victory's will do them anymore. It's about time Darran Gleeson's men had a big championship win in Leinster and they will fancy their chances against us up in Corrigan Park.

It's going to be tough but if Michael O Donoghue starts his championship reign with a loss to Antrim it will be a big blow. Dubs to win a hard fought encounter.

Our U20 hurlers put in a good showing down in Nowlan Park just coming up short by two points, 1-21 v 2-16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Looks like it's started with a big enough blow alright. Sure the lads will be on their holidays before we get to the end of May again this year. That's a brutal result today and shows where Dublin hurling is, just about Joe McDonagh cup level.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I think you're being harsh on Antrim. And Dublin. The best we can hope for is third in group and we have Wexford at home after Westmeath. Win those two and we'll have a good chance of getting out of the group. We're in a period of transition i feel but still good enough to beat Wexford.

I'm being harsh on Dublin. I'd say we have little chance of getting out of the group now. Wexford have our number and regardless of being at home I can't see a win there.

Do you think Antrim are no use and a pushover up in Belfast? Do you think Wexford are playing well?

I think we're rubbish. Thought that was fairly clear.

• Advertisement

That's not what i asked. Can you answer the question without being cheeky.

I think we should be beating Antrim, even in Belfast, with a few points to spare.

Wexford were poor in the league but they'll bate us. We bring out the best in them and are the kind of soft touch team that they like playing against.

I've nothing but respect for the lads going out on to the field, they give their all. We just aren't a very good team and that's been the case for years and will continue to be the case for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

JRant why do you think Wexford have our number? We took them apart in the Walsh Cup decider last year and when the chips were down in Wexford Park we beat them in the Championship too. They drew with Westmeath last year and they haven't been convincing at all this season. I'd say it's a winnable game for us.

I've watched us a good bit this year and we're at nothing if I'm being honest. There's new players coming into the team but the same issues are still there. The Wexford game is a must win and I have zero confidence in us getting a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Until the Dublin hurlers get one scoring forward /or two even - the team will never threaten the big guns/ cause shocks. Otherwise you are hoping the other team has an off day. You can get away with no scoring forward in football/just hard workers if you set up tactically, but can't really work in hurling.

I remember reading the Wexford thread on boards ages ago and when they lost to Dublin they were disgusted, they look at Dublin as a team they should be beating all the time.

Dublin should start hunting for a few forwards who have moved near Dublin from other counties and want to play intercounty hurling. Surely there is some out there that can no longer make the panel of their home county - Galway/Kilkenny/Cork/Limerick etc. Sure they must have loads of fellas like that floating around?

When O'Donoghue got the Dublin hurling job - back of my mind was wonder could he call up a two or three former Galway lads?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yea lets put out the SOS call to hurlers from other counties to help us try and close the gap. Great idea.

I hope that Wexford poster you read years ago has got over the indignity of losing to Dublin.

Deary me what utter drivel.

I don't get that attitude at all seems narrow minded, or you have a short memory.

Why is it drivel? Dwyer, Corcoran, O'Brien etc all helped the Dublin hurling cause. Years before that Dublin had Eamon 'Shiner' Morrissey the former Cat.

In football ex Dubs have helped out other counties Eoghan O'Gara the latest. Cox from Kerry is important for the Rossies.

Dublin hurling have to do the same - the hurlers are just not being produced that don't want to stick with football.

Sure why not go all out like Parnells few years ago and have 10 or more players from other counties on our hurling team. The more the merrier.

Now your being silly all Dublin need is a couple of forwards, in past under Dalo Dublin had a number of non-Dubs hurling for Dublin and it worked very well. Got a league and Leinster - plus AI Semi-Final - Dublin could/should have won.

I just done understand your horror at the mere suggestion of finding a few blow in scoring forwards it is what Dublin need - they are not being produced . bar Con. Does the truth hurt or what?

• Advertisement

We have scoring forwards like Hayes and Whitley. I dont think their as bad as you and others are making out. I'd rather go with our own lads that have come up through the ranks at their clubs and so be it if we're not good enough. I think Dublin hurling is in a lot healthier state than when i was a young man. The way some of ye go on we may as well not field a team against Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

All your whinging about Shane Walsh is looking pretty hypocritical right now.

That is club level not county - club completely different - different economies of scale - v club and county. County level the imports will not have such a skewed impact. Plus sense of community more important at club level. No so at intercounty level IMO.

You are being very dramatic altogether you should write for the tabloids. Nobody said that Dublin should not turn up v Wexford what was said by @jrant was that the poster expects Wexford to beat Dublin.

As for your argument on scoring forwards Dublin don't score enough goals simple as that. Free taking A1 some top notch defenders. But no scoring forwards not decent ones that are a real threat to all teams.

You are correct though that Dublin hurling has improved compared to where it was. But to improve and reach that next level they need a bit of push. Otherwise will be threading water at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When you were griping about Walsh I pointed out that you didn't seem to give a damn about the thousands of other inter-club transfers, just one specific one with the high profile player. Now it turns out that you would be perfectly happy for a few useful transfers to happen when it would benefit your team.

Some consistency that. Seems abundantly clear that its all about whatever suits you best at the time.

Exactly and I said that level of player makes a huge difference in an already good club team. I said why did Walsh not join an intermediate team or even a middle or the road team like Raheny - where the competition would not be as skewed. You did not seem to grasp that point. Walsh's home team was intermediate at the time and I never heard them do anything.

We didn't score a lot of goals under Dalo either and that was our most successful era. Galway won the All Ireland in 2017 without scoring a goal in their last 4 games.

J rant doesn't just think Wexford will beat us he gives us no chance and i just dont understand that mindframe.

As for being dramatic that's a bit rich coming from yourself. I don't read the tabloids myself.

Depends on when you were a young lad but Dublin hurling is absolutely not in a good place. We are miles behind the top teams and struggling against the next tier of teams. As Gorm rightly points out, we haven't the forwards. Trollier is a loss as he gave a goal threat.

Dotsy was great as sub too with his pace - and Keaney was great at the dirty work would back him winning ball against anyone.

Hopefully a forward will turn up eventually that will make people stand up with expectation when he gets the ball. I have given up on Con joining the hurlers unless he has a row with Dessie.

I would agree with @YabaDabaDooley that hurling has improved in Dublin was not even an afterthought in the early 90's. At least now there are aspirations to be a consistent middle of the road team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

watching the dubs warm up here in port laois, they are defo doing some new attacking drill. Looks like it’s about getting the ball into full forward line fast!!

Advertisement