Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

I keep looking at it. The killers and a couple of acts ala Mary wallopers, young father's, johnny Marr, idles etc cannot make up that the majority of the lineup is not to my taste and upon deep diving into the acts a lot of them a copy/paste of Billie Eilish and other melodramatic whisper angst.

Like this year has had a major drop in quality. Last year had the issue of getting back to form post COVID but was a lot better than this year.

What excuse do they have this year? Even Reading and Leeds is a lot worse than in previous years. Both EP and Reading/Leeds has been on the decline. Why have all these festival republic fests gotten worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s all about cost cutting.

if someone had predicted the likes of Wolfe tones

and saw doctors

would play EP during the “glory years” of it, they’d have been directed to the nearest mental hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Add Roskilde to that list, OK they still have some good headliners but have changed quite a bit of their demographic plus the Dublin day events FF and Longitude have changed direction too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Glastonbury excepted (though even that mighty behemoth seems to be down on quality this year), it does feel like that model of a 50,000 plus festival has had to alter it's business plan to remain profitable. There's hardly one across Europe that has not turned down the more commercial route, although granted, many have still retained a bit more in the way of interesting and diverse acts than EP. Green Man appears to be one exception, not sure what the capacity is there but they don't seem to have compromised in any way on the type of act they book. The bitterness on here is I'm sure related to the real affection lots of us on here have for this particular festival, for the memories of how right they got it for so long and the dire contrast between those deadly memories and the shitshow unveiled yesterday. It's just all a bit sad.

Most of the MCD/POD/FR fests are pretty slack this year.

Surprisingly Body & Soul is the only one taking my fancy considering they were slacking in previous years. Although it's overpriced.

• Advertisement

Yep I agree with B&S they have the best line up by far out of the bunch of festivals I work for, hopefully ATN may have some crackers unveiled soon. Even Wild Roots has quite a diverse line up. There are so many areas at EP though so hopefully the periphery comes up with some interesting names. The blurred one if it was Aphex Twin would make sense as the line up is very scant perhaps they did shed all these bucks on Richard as it would keep all the ravey and psychedelic rockers aka indie anarchistic ambient techno DnB crowd into coming to the event. In a way that might save the festivals credibility haha. Phuck!!! just rambling here, hopefully another few announcements and surprises to go.

Yeah, Body and Soul most appealing at the moment. I'm hoping the next announcement from ATN gives it a bit of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

B&S is a 5,000 cap festival and is same price as EP ticket.

not sure how it’s overpriced. 15 times smaller but line up is not 15 times worse

Did you ever go to it Fanirish, its a lovely little environment, because I work it I know a lot of staff and it is really a lovely wee hedonistic corner of Ireland to loose yourself in for three days, or in my case 5 or 6 days for the festival build.

• Advertisement

I would have always agreed that Body and Soul was overpriced against EP considering the vast choice of acts, variety of areas, installations, food options etc. in Stradbally. This morning, in the cold light of day, that argument certainly doesn't feel as obvious as it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

I've been to 12 Eps, I went last year and I had a great time even though the lineup was the weakest ever,

But, they have out done themselves with how bad the lineup is this year, its sad to say but I think I will be selling my ticket, great memories over the years though.

They are catering to the 18-22 demographic now, and I would say it is that way in future.

B&S lineup is quality this year, but I've decided to go to beyond the pale instead

Post edited by whomadewho on

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭GentleHumour

With you on that @whomadewho B&S lineup with The Blaze at the top looks class (EP booking Sunday afternoon in 2018 - unreal).

But I’m steering toward Beyond the Pale, which has a bit more strength in depth. 5000 capacity in 2022. Slight increase for 2023. Shame they’re both on same weekend.

BTP acts I’d go to:

Grace Jones, Hot Chip, Jon Hopkins, Christian Löffler, Maribou State, For Those I Love, Jungle, Flight Facilities, Morcheeba, Mano Le Tough, Just Mustard

Only thing for me is the fact that it’s on in mid-June, it leaves a loooong summer of looking / yearning at other festivals….and then I’ll probably end up trying to scramble for babysitters and cash on the hip for EP anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yep Beyond the Pale is the standout one for me so far this summer. After yesterdays disappointment I think I will sell my EP ticket and get one for Beyond the Pale instead. Also have a ticket for All Together Now which was brilliant last year so hopefully we get a couple of other acts to bulk that lineup out a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

@GentleHumour Yeah, there is a alot to get excited about at BTP. That first time experience at a new festival too.

I would say at least 20 acts I am looking forward to seeing. I would add to your list, Max Cooper, David August, Booka Shade (alway good to see even though the play here nearly evey year), Scattered Ashes.

There is still a good crew going to Ep like every year, so I will never say never.

Actually skimming through the Terminus part of the lineup and fairly impressed actually. 999999999 (Headlining Life Festival on Saturday night) are nice acid squelchy techno from the few clips I've heard, Charlie Sparks lively enough but really young crowd almost moshing to the dance beat, so could be wild. Fionn Curran couldn't find anything of interest there. Hannah Laing didn't really do it for me either. I hate Models kicks ass with a throbbing techno beat (another Life Festival act) looks like it could be a good set. Inter Planetary Criminal would be a combination of Kelly-Ann Byrne and Jenny Greene with a crunchier beat, happy funk house but infectious. I think Skin on Skin is one to look out for, thumping exciting techno with a nice energy, he headlined Ava festival last year.

Could only find 1 clip of Southstar, commercial sh1t, didn't like it.

Trym seem lively, kind of funky house but not my thing really.

Well quick roundup of Terminus hopefully some more acts or genres added.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Gonna guess that blurred out Sunday headliner is Hozier. He starts his US tour a week later in September. Can't see Blur coming back twice, far more likely its someone Irish if its blurred out cos of another headline gig this summer.

I think a lot of us would prefer if it was Blur though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I wish you all well but I sense disappointment in your future. Andy from Bray is the best you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Think it's a bit unfair to lump the sawdoctors in with Wolfe Tones (who I can't still believe have been added). Though musically the saw doctors aren't the most complex or funky musicly , I always thought the lyrics and sentiments of many of their songs were worth it. Almost like Paddy Kavanagh or Mc Gaharen etc, in the theirn documentation of life in Ireland in the pre Tiger 90's, Red Cortina, N17, To Win Just Once etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭adam240610

When do physical tickets arrive? I have two that I'll be getting rid of when I get them I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

no idea but went looking on the site and in the first positive thing I’ve seen from them this week, they have this

“If you have a spare ticket and your point of purchase are unable to offer a refund, please use a genuine fan to fan resale site such as https://www.toutless.com/

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/anti-tout-information-2022/

Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

I was under the impression that there are no physical tickets this year?

Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭dav09

I agree with the above comments, BTP and B&S both have a lineup arguably better for most decent music enjoyers now than this although I'm sure there's still a few to be announced, the thing is too FR I think could have went a route where they booked decent Techno, D&B, Hip Hop and even house acts that might have appealed to both audiences but it seems like they have just went the complete opposite and just want to appease to an audience that EP was never really about, it's a bit of a headscratcher as they had close to 55k in 2018 and sold out immediately, had a friend sell their tickets and had hundreds of offers within a minute so easily could have sold another few 1000 tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I played some of the top played songs from the artists I didn't recognise yesterday. My 9yo daughter could sing along to a few. My 13yo daughter actually teared up with joy when she heard the line-up. Says it all really.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Same, my 14 played for me and sang along to that Steve lacey guy, Jesus what vapid boringness.

At this stage it should be a non-alcoholic event aimed at teenagers.

OK done a quick skim of the fourth line of acts from poster.

Anna of the North: Nope, not for me, pop rubbish with whispery vocals.

Chalk: Not too bad, indie rock and listenable.

Gurriers: Rock Indie in the same vein as Thumper.

Hannah Grae: Indie Pop, not too bad and catchy enough.

Julie: Indie Pop, decent sound, grand enough.

Nell Mescal: Nope, too whiny.

Royal Otis: Indie Pop, not a bad sound.

Ryan Mack: Nope, didn't like at all.

Samia: first track I listened too, dreadful auto-tune, second and third not bad dreamy indie pop kinda confused now.

Sello: Dublin Rapper, seems OK.

Last Dinner Party: Indie Rock. definitely influenced by Siouxsie with bits of similar sounds of Pillow Queens and Sprints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Most of your descriptions are essentially saying 'grand for background music whilst busy doing something else but nothing of real worth or value'.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Advertisement