Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 Foster Avenue Traffic Lights Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They don't work here because Irish drivers in many situations forget that the left side of their vehicle exists, they are in fact fine if the road users are competent. The one outside UCD works fine but I think that is just a case of there are so many and many of those turning in are aware that many of those on their left are fellow students or staff that it clicks but in many situations it simply doesn't. The amount of times I have seen people turn in and then use the SMIDSY excuse even though you could see their face in their rear view mirror. The inability to use an indicator either at all or correctly, is like a slowly spreading pathogen that also needs to be stamped out. I don't use them if the road and my ability allows me not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the other problem with the so-called murder strip design is that when traffic is heavy the left-turning queue just sits on top of the cycle lane and you can't get past.

Any cyclist who routinely cycles in heavy traffic isn't going to be phased by cycling between 2 lanes of traffic on that design, but one of the main points of building more cycle lanes is to get more people cycling, and they won't do it unless they feel safe. One of the problems with discussion on here is that it's 99% regular cyclists who are used to interacting with traffic, but there's a huge cohort of occasional or non-cyclists who would cycle more often but won't do it in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’m still curious as to whether they monumentally screwed up the implementation by having a bicycle only light that doesn’t trigger for bicycles.

Ha, I never went in the bike lane but presumed it would trigger. Does it just go automatically with the straight ahead arrow every rotation? Lots of other new lights in the area have bike sensing magnets.

I gave up waiting after two full cycles of the lights and pushed ahead on the main green arrow. I’m just wondering if others have noticed that cycle lights trigger for cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 osiri

It looks to be working well here in fairness. There's even a sign up about the change in traffic signal sequence.

As the number of people using bikes to get around increases, well designed, segregated cycling infrastructure will make much more sense. Cyclists will have to cede priority in some instances and motorists will have to cede priority in other cases. In the case above motorists turning left have to cede priority initially. Then I presume bikes going straight in the bike lane will have to stop to allow cars turn left even though cars can probably continue straight. Net result is some minor delays but good segregation encouraging more people to use bikes to get around.

Had a look and I think it is about 3 metres before the lights on the ground, just as the lane splits to left turn (mount the pavement) and straight on. There is an octagon outline of black tar, if you roll directly over it, you should get a bike light on the next round of lights.

Advertisement