Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

You got really unlucky so. I drove from Marino to North Wall yesterday, about 10am, and it only took me about ten minutes. Maybe you don't know the area that well, and got stuck in traffic that you didn't need to be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ha, lived in the area most of my life. Left the house just after 9 and it usually takes 7/8 minutes door to door on a Saturday morning. But sure, what would I know 🤷‍♂️

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

like huge improvements to the area are being done and people are moaning about spending a few minutes in a car when they could have gone to different shops that would have been far easier to get to. seriously like, we could never have any infrastructure improvements if some people had their way. saturday afternoons can be the worst time of the week for traffic anyway, and it was bucketing down rain yesterday too.

Are people only allowed comment about how wonderful it all is?

I live in the area and for the vast majority of the time it's grand with some inconveniences. Having a stop-go system on both those roads at the same time is just stupid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement

Noted, I'll get your approval before posting anything again. Make sure it's okay with with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you live in the middle of it there is no avoiding it, in and out.

They would but I'd still have to pick up my elderly mother to bring her so would achieve nothing by trying to get out to clarehall with her. She likes to head to Aldi and Lidl for her shop and a chat so that what I do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How? If you are in Marino like the OP’s mother, just drive up to Griffith Avenue.

”She likes to head to Aldi and Lidl for her shop and a chat so that what I do.”

Lidl Drumcondra, Aldi and Lidl in Santry, Aldi Beaumont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A few of the staff from East Wall Aldi have moved to Aldi Bayside. Bet your mum will recognise them and it’s just as close as Coolock. 😋

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not in Marino. In North Strand near where Bus stop 617 used to be. Right in the middle of it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sure, but I was replying to a poster who was talking about Marino, which definitely isn’t “in the middle of it” and could have been avoided easily enough.

Don't get me wrong, I know it is inconvenient, but it is temporary and necessary if you want to continue to have clean drinking water.

Works like this are completely normal in cities around the world, they are necessary to continue to develop and maintain the infrastructure of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's not completely normal and part of normal urban development to implement one-way systems on major arterial routes and then do the same thing at the same time on the diversionary route.

Would be nice if we could separate legitimate criticism of poor decisions, from the wild and deranged takes we've seen at other times here.

And if most of this project is about water mains replacement, why is it in C&T? Even posting about water issues directly connected with the works is discouraged here.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

The poster you were replying to lives in Marino. Their mother, as spurious posted, lives in or near North Strand. Picking their mother up to bring her shopping involves driving through the works.

Delivery isn't an option because their mother enjoys the social interaction/excuse to talk to her child of shopping.

It took a few posts for the poster to establish this information.

Post edited by CoffeeImpala on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In fairness, I think that the water works are done now, the rest of it is just the improvements to the area.

I think that people have been using the waterworks as an excuse for the huge amount of works, but I think that the cycle lane and public realm improvements are able to stand on their own, they're a huge improvement to the area both from a transport point of view, and a place making point of view. The Fairview Park verge looks absolutely amazing, such a high quality improvement, and I think people should support these sorts of improvements.

The waterworks are fine and the cycle lane and improved paving when finished should be great, but taking a bus stop away from such a densely populated area, claiming the reason is 'there is no room' and then replacing it with car parking spaces, is really beyond a joke.

Fancy paving and bushes are one thing but removing a bus stop is a major disimprovement for the people who will have had to bear the brunt of the construction for years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, that's not great, and is one of the few parts of the project that I'd disagree with, vehemently so when it comes to how they didn't announce it until after the works had started.

"The poster you were replying to lives in Marino. Their mother, as spurious posted, lives in or near North Strand. Picking their mother up to bring her shopping involves driving through the works."

No, that is all wrong. The poster I was replying to is JRant, whose mother lives in Marino and the JRant was dropping her to Lidl/Aldi in North strand. I was pointing out that from Marino it is easy to avoid the works in Fairview. For instance driving from Marino to Lidl Drumcondra is like a 5 or 6 minute drive via Griffith Avenue on the weekend. And many other options.

Spurious then jumped in saying s/he lives in North Strand and thus is in the middle of it. Which is fair enough and absolutely true, but doesn't really have anything to do with the post I was replying to in relation to Marino. Oh and that location in North Strand is like a 1 minute walk from a costcutter store!

As an aside, Boards "new" quoting system sucks and leads to this sort of confusion.

"And if most of this project is about water mains replacement, why is it in C&T? Even posting about water issues directly connected with the works is discouraged here."

I'm not sure where you got that idea, I'm a mod on this forum and would certainly not discourage any conversation about water mains replacement! Such works are usually on roads and as a result often greatly impacts peoples commuting and transport, so very much on topic.

Also no, the works on the pipes aren't finished. I was down at Fairview Park on the weekend and there are still pipes everywhere and works going on with them.

As an aside, these sort of water works will have to happen all over the city over the next few years. Our water and sewage system is ageing quickly and will similarly need replacing. Like it was Griffith Avenues turn just last year. Expect the same throughout the city.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I see that the ESB planning on a major cable upgrade project in Dublin in the coming years...

One of the project components will be the replacing of the cable from Poolbeg to Finglas and one proposed route for this is along Alfie Byrne Road CLontarf Road and then up the Malahide Road.

I take it for granted that the cable is currently under where the inbound cycle path runs on the Clontarf Rd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yes, the water mains replacement works are a bit more than 50% complete. It seems like each side of the route has 4" ring mains apart from Fairview park itself of course, which has some water mains of regional importance if I remember correctly.

Only a relatively small amount of new pipe has been laid on the western side of the work route, on some of Amiens Street and in Fairview itself.

I posted not too long ago (Easter) about getting photos of brown water in glasses and a bathtub and the comms from DCC and Irish Water was sorely lacking, considering they expected repairs to be completed almost a day later and water in that condition is not just undrinkable, it can foul interior plumbing, cisterns and (although unlikely) central heating. The microbiological safety of such turbid water after a break is also questionable. Such disruption is inevitable over the course of a big project, but having a rush on the local supermarkets for usable water should not be normalised or chalked down to "a bit of muddy water", especially given the complete lack of advice or management of the outage by Irish Water.

As an aside, that costcutter on north Strand is not something useful above any other small convenience store, it's not exactly a one stop shop for everything a pensioner wants or needs or can afford.

More on topic, the traffic sequence at East Wall Road / North Strand Road / Poplar Row has been changed since East Wall Road reopened. It has a somewhat longer pedestrian crossing sequence, especially good for Fairview Park to the fire station, but the length of the green light for car traffic on East Wall Road has been significantly shortened. There are routinely traffic queues now outside of peak times, and I recently timed a 53 bus from the railway bridge to the lights. It took almost 10 minutes to clear the junction. Some change is necessary there.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Meant to add these last week. They are from just beyond bus stop 516 on the North Strand road and Newcommen Bridge.

Would seem to leave a very small footpath. I'm assuming the cycle path will have to end at the bridge given the amount of space. Also the road is narrower after the bridge so I must check to see if there are markings beyond the bridge.

"Would seem to leave a very small footpath. I'm assuming the cycle path will have to end at the bridge given the amount of space. Also the road is narrower after the bridge so I must check to see if there are markings beyond the bridge."

Per the plans, the cyclepath will continue over the bridge. It will replace the footpath on the siouth side of the bridge. Pedestrians will then use the new footbridge next to the bridge.

Plans here if you want to check out the rest, NOTE BIG PDF:

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2023-03/C2CC%20GA%20Combined.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How is this all looking these days? (I live in Canada)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Chaos, both sides of the road now. God help any cyclist trying to navigate the road surface, it’s a complete mess.

But we have to look on the bright side apparently. Whenever I’m stuck in traffic on Griffith Avenue due to the amalgamation of lanes to make way for the cycle lanes. I look at those cycle lanes and really believe that one day I’ll see a cyclist using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Tis a bit hyperbolic, but I would agree that it's not ideal for cyclists. Outbound, right before the Howth Road turn, the road is reduced to a narrow one lane, which is for all vehicle types, buses, cars, bikes. That part is a little hairy at times, there's people out there that just don't know how to drive behind bikes, and cyclists that don't know how to take the lane properly.

These were taken last weekend from the foot bridge, showing the progress of the water main works on the outbound side. Hopefully they'll start work on the footpath works soon, at least in some areas. Right now the people and businesses along here are getting the worst of the works without any sign of improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You aren't stuck in traffic because of a cycle lane, you are stuck in traffic because yourself and a number of other individuals made the conscious decision to drive your car for that particular journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's odd. I am on Griffith Avenue every day, either on foot, bike or in car. I see plenty of cyclists using the cycle lanes. And yes, I see cyclists and indeed motorists driving on the pedestrian footpath as well - not just entering and exiting driveways (which is of course understandable) but sometimes driving along for some time before exiting onto the road. Delivery vans also regularly blocking footpath, rather than stopping on the road. It can be chaos alright. I suppose things will probably improve though when the North Strand and Fairview are fully reopened as some of the Griffith Ave traffic is probably diversionary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Another morning where yellow box turning from Howth Road into Fairview was blocked by multiple vehicles causing back ups in both directions.

Advertisement