Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying calves

Options
  • 23-04-2023 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I was buying hereford heifer calves 1 month old off farmer for a long time .he gave up milking .i was paying €120 to €150 .i know a dealer he wants €200 for same calves ..was farmer to cheap or is the dealer to dear.thank .s ...i think i go the post in right place now thank.s

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Farmer was cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

It's very hard to make a sweeping comment without knowing what type or age.......but sounds like you were getting good value .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

Oops, that sounds like you got great value, try to build a relationship with a farmer that has healthy calves and everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 westeast

British friesian what ever price he said i paid he was happy and i was .i was looking online marts and donedeal and then other lads telling me all tales about what the paid .so do you think €200 is in the money .they could be any type of hereford out any cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Even if the price flipped I’d still buy off the farmer. Dealers calves could bring many issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If you can buy off a farmer, dealer has to have the best part of €50 for handling them, so they are back at €150 to the dairy farmer selling them.

If you can go to a farmer you know or that has advertised on Done Deal, try and buy them there. If you have been looking at marts on line then you would have an idea of what calves are making. Poor quality HEx calves are making around €100 - €120, middle of the road lads are in the the €150 - €175 bracket. Good Hex calves are somewhere around €200, with the better quality ones making €250 -€300.

Advertisement