Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,181 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I brought it up for discussion..so quit your smart arse replies.

Plenty online discussion asking similar. The chap was alert, lucid and as soon as the count hit 10 he got up. Nobody is saying the shot didn’t hurt. But these are boxers. Supposed to be the hardest and toughest and most resilient men in sport. I’ve seen countless boxers hit with hard body shots, in real pain and sucking it up to get up.

Garcia, to me seemed to decide he wouldn’t suck it up, not that he couldn’t. He even said as much in the press conference. And his responses to Jim Gray in the ring were far from convincing.

Go watch Gatti v Ward where Ward landed vicious body shots on Gatti who sucked them up and decided to fight on. These shots, after many hard and brutal rounds.

Like said. Brought up merely for discussion. If you have any intelligent counter responses on what you think, show me. But don’t come on here engaging me trying to be a smart arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

It was really always a knockout waiting to happen but the shot itself didn’t really look like much.

What was he meant to be like? He had just been stopped while alert. There wasn’t any controversy or anything like that. It’s not like referee stopped the fight where Ryan was protesting. All he could say were respectful things really.

Post fight presser straight off the bat making excuses. Talking about feeling weak and straight to 140. In other words the opposition made we weight drain with their clause and it really affected me.

Pretty much all boxers come out with the same cliche “I got no excuses,” but… hours later and they’re full of excuses..

Garcia is just another manufactured hyped fighter in the era of hyped social media presence. His first fight against a quality opponent and he folded. I have watched it back. Convinced he didn’t want to try to continue..

Even Tank was surprised.

After KD in rd 2, Garcia’s body language changed to timid. He got hit with a good shot (he himself twice said a good shot, not a great or not hard or not painful shot), and took a knee and in that moment he made a conscious decision that he wouldn’t get up, not that he couldn’t. His answers to Gray in the ring and his answers in the presser pretty much said this.

It wasn’t much. He quit. But some folks here have this weird view that we can’t say this about boxers. Boxers are somehow incapable of quitting. Bull. They’re human beings.

I think some folks need to watch a whole lot more boxing for examples of boxers fighting through serious distress and hurt to carry on, as well as boxers who do not take that route , and decide to quit rather than endure. It’s human nature.

Everything about last night points to Garcia deciding not to carry on.

Finally. There is no need for any boxing fans to take it as offensive or personal when discussing whether or not if maybe a fighter decided to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think there is a point in suggesting Garcia quit. That shot hurt him enough to put him down. He wasnt going to be able to defend himself against DAvis and would have been a sitting duck but he didnt fancy getting ironed out. He knew the game was up. Surely he could have got up and thrown a big swing or tried to tie Davis up and get to his corner. Predictable outcome but unspectacular.

• Advertisement

Yep. I’m really thinking a quit job.

lucud, alert and even acknowledging the referee during the count. As soon as count ends he’s on his feet. Add this to his own comments and take on it all, as well as Tank even a bit surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What are you on about? I said it's a tough way to lose because you still have your wits about you. How can you not understand that.

He was going to lose anyway but I think he'd have preferred to be hit hard or lose a decision than lose that way. It's just a tough way to get stopped. I'm not talking specifically about this fight. I know guys who got stopped that way and it's harder to take.

There's no doubt about who was the better fighter. I'm not saying he was unlucky either.

I was impressed by Garcia's post fight interview. Have you seen that?

You are clueless. If he wanted to do that he'd have went down the second he was hit but he stayed up until it got really bad.

That's such a stupid post, as I said clueless. An unbeaten fighter would never do that. He still had a punchers chance in the fight however unlikely that was.

Says the chap making countless excuses last week for Joe getting clearly beaten.

why are your responses always so aggressive? Folks can have differing opinions without the stupid and clueless guff being thrown at them..

Garcia showed no desire/want to tough it out, get back up and fight on. He practically said it himself that maybe he could have gotten up.

You need to watch a lot more examples where boxers were in serious distress and hurt and toughed it out. And then maybe your clueless comment won’t seem so smart.

it’s not like Ryan was getting beaten up, broken down, hurt, badly tired…

squinn says it: rather than continuing and likely getting sparked out, he decided to call it a day.

Post edited by walshb on

Yes. Heard post fight ring interview: What was impressive about his post-fight interview? Jesus, you must be easily impressed.

your saying he was hurt to the point where physically he was incapable of continuing is off the mark to me.

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement

He was very humble and respectful after the fight. No guff about a rematch and that it'd be different the next time.

He stayed up after the punch and then went down. As I said if he was a quitter he wouldn't have stayed up.

I've been to hundreds of fights, I know a lot of fighters, mostly amateur, and I've seen this happen many times. I've seen it happy to fighters who were winning their fights. They try and continue but the pain is just too much. It happens very quickly just like it did to Garcia.

The lad was unbeaten coming into this fight, you don't go unbeaten for 23 fights if you are a quitter. He got rocked before and fought on.

To suggest he quit is stupid.

So I guess your whole argument here is folks cannot ever suggest or entertain the view that a boxer could make a conscious decision to quit/not carry on. That argument is what is stupid..

and so what if he was humble and respectful after the fight. I wasn’t discussing this. I was discussing my view that he decided to quit/not continue.

I am not saying every boxer who gets dropped by a body shot and doesn’t get up is a quitter. Plenty are not. But plenty are. It’s human nature. Boxers are humans, not machines, and sometimes as humans they make human decisions to not carry on, and not because they physically can’t, but because in that moment they don’t want to carry on..

Garcia last night looked very like someone who made a conscious decision to not carry on, and not because he physically could not.

If you knew the fighter or he had previous for it then it's ok to think that but he's never shown anything like that in his life. There's no history of any sort. And he got rocked in a fight before and didn't quit so he's actually got form for fighting on when things went wrong.

So it's completely stupid to even think that nevermind post it on a forum.

Ok, so now to suggest a fighter may have quit, the fighter has to have previous form for it? How does that work, exactly?

Got rocked previously and didn’t quit? Yes, he did v Campbell. And got rocked in rd 2 last night. What this has to do with the body shot that he went down from and didn’t get up from I have no idea.

You’re coming across rather ridiculous now. I’ll leave you to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

careful now @walshb or you will be challenged to meet up for an IQ test

you should know after last week that the only opinion that is valid around here now is that of the mighty eagle eye

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I see Frampton is saying Garcia quit.

Consensus seems to be that Garcia wasn't winning that fight and most likely was going to be KO'd in that round if he got up. In other fights when he was rocked or troubled he was en route to victory, not this one. He was never in this position before and he didn't roll the dice with a Hail Mary shot. He didnt get up because he knew he was beaten. The way he got up after the count shows he had enough of his faculties left to continue to fight so it was likely a quit.

Also, notice when he’s down. He gives the odd wince as if to show he’s hurt, but it looks almost deliberate. He over-played the shot/hurt. Absolutely did. It was not a shot that came close to crippling his chances to continue.

He couldn’t even say that it was a great shot. He said he was caught with a good shot. So if it was just a good shot, what’s the issue, Ryan?

Then in post fight presser the whole weight was what he was going on about.

Been around boxing far too long to look at that and think it was anything other than a fighter simply not fancying it. Unless boxers these days really have weakened?!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭_H80_GHT

Agree that he could have got up. He didn't fancy it. He knew by then he was second best so why prolong the inevitable.

• Advertisement

Spot on. I’m a bit surprised some cannot see this as being a genuine angle/view.

Just on the shot: when it landed it is a full four seconds until Ryan drops down. I know there can be delays, but he was moving backwards, and Tank was pressing forward. What I think happened was that Ryan felt it as a good shot, and had also felt Tank’s overall power during the rounds, and like a domino effect he took the knee to stop the follow up attack, and whilst on his knee he realised that this was it. Rather than get up and fight on, he felt that he’d get proper banjoed; he then decides to stay down!

At 9 he looked like he was just making a decision. There was no desire in him to continue. If he could get up and walk at 10 then he could get up and walk at 9 and give it a go. He had no interest. He didn't have to stop, he decided to. I know it's easy from here but I'm not an elite boxer and there's a standard to be judged against. Really great boxers have it in them to go until they stop, he decided not to go out on his shield. The great Joe last week would have fought on until now he had to be pulled out and he deserves credit for this.

Yes, Garcia was alert and lucid and realised "****, that shot was a belter". Do you want all boxers to be knocked out or concussed?

I have no idea why you're trying to justify your stupid post with Gatti vs Ward, literally one of the greatest fights of all time.

I gave you my intelligent counter response before the fight even started. I said Davis was too heavy-handed and I had a sizeable bet on him finishing the fight.

To educate you on what boxers fight through and toughen it out is why I mentioned Gatti/Ward. Gatti was whacked with heaps of hard body shots. Clearly went over your head.

anyway, my point about Garcia likely quitting is more than justified, and far from stupid..He got caught with an “innocuous” shot and rather than fight on, he stayed down and quit.

and who said anything about wanting boxers to be knocked out or concussed? You’re talking absolute pony.

You'd save yourself a lot of embarrassment if you just admitted your initial post was stupid.

So because Gatti survived savage body shots all other fighters should?

I was 100% spot on with my prediction of the fight.

You’re still talking pony. You want to think it’s not possible that Garcia quit is the embarrassing thing. Plenty plenty are saying what I am.

You thinking body shots are meaningless is the real pony.

Let us ask a question...

What is more likely or "Possible";

A) Ryan Garcia chickened out in the biggest fight of his life

B) Davis, with a 93 KO %, hit Garcia with a brutal body shot and finished the fight.

Who said body shots are meaningless?

More pony from you.

I clearly said that the shot hurt him. It wasn’t a completely nothing shot. Brutal body shot? Like I said, you really need to start watching some more boxing.

my point is he over-played it and rather than get up (which plenty people say he could) he decided to stay down and quit. The shot was in no way so crippling enough that he could not have gotten up and fought through.

not my fault you’re incapable of grasping this simple view.

Post edited by walshb on

I need to watch more boxing?

I predicted how the fight would go.

I also didn't claim one of the fighters quit.

Sober up and reply tomorrow with a clear head.

• Advertisement

You predicted how the fight would go? As in a body shot KO rd 7?

Your self-praise here is embarrassing. Loads loads folks predicted Tank inside the distance, myself included.

and had Garcia not quit, and gotten back up, it’s very likely Tank KOs him anyway

Advertisement