Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Si finding the centre of the pockets now

Milkins could be in trouble soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Si is one of the stories of the tournament so far, played some brilliant stuff and looks very smooth out there. Great eye for a pot, plays with a bit of style, very good to watch. Contrast that to the dire snooker of Selby v Wilson yesterday and today. I am a fan.

Milkins missing too many pots

Handing the match to SI if this continues

SI playing better now

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

What a nightmare for Wilson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Hard to keep track of all these future world champs!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Higgins further turning the screw by winning a frame where he needed a snooker.

I'd say Wilson can't wait for it all just to be over.

Higgins v Selby means not too much in O'Sullivan's way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I don't know, the pace Selby played at last night could test O'Sullivan's resolve.

Yes Selby can always test O'Sullivan

Not quite the bogey man he was

• Advertisement

SI v O'Sullivan would be interesting

I reckon O'Sullivan would have far too much firepower

That's if SI got past McGill which would be far from certain

Jesus c

The BBC just dumping the SI v MILKINS match ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Another example of how much easier the pockets are. John hit the black along the cushion and it hit the cushion, the commentators said he'd missed, John thought he'd missed and yet it still went in. You wouldn't get away with that in times past.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

A complete joke that one was! Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

$h1tt¥ BBC and their coverage of the World Snooker Championship strike again. Have finished up to show The Alehouse Sessions, "A joyful celebration of 17th century folk music, fiddle tunes, drinking songs and sea shanties".

I can't get over the patchy coverage by the BBC this year. I always remember it as wall to wall for basically the whole championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Get Eurosport, 40 quid a year when a sale is on and wall to wall snooker coverage.

I have Eurosport on sky, but the ads drive me mad and I like to have the option of switching commentators when they're driving me mad (applies to both stations!)

Phil Yates is an acquired taste shall we say.

And Joe Johnson is hard going but I don't think he is as bad for rabitting on as he used to be.

But the other commentators I find great on Eurosport.

I switch so much I can't remember who's on what channel, but John Virgo "where's the ball going...... WHERE'S THE BALL GOING??????" wears thin very quickly.

And as much as I love Alan McManus, sometimes I need a break even from him!

• Advertisement

No morning session on Monday, and with the hole Lisowski and Wilson are in, there won't be loads of snooker played tommorow.

Higgins to finish with a maximum?

Be a total sickener for Kyren

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That bottom right pocket wasn't quite as generous there.

Wilson's out of his misery anyway.

Kyren taking it very well in his interview. Considering the day he has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭StevenToast

BBC are showing utter contempt for this World Championship.....should be taken off them now at this stage....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Higgins saying the pockets are a bit loose.

Reckons the players are finding a few balls are dropping when they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I can't believe people still actually watch snooker on BBC, their coverage has been terrible for years.

I thought exactly this.

He's gone up a few notches in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

No FTA station is going to do it better, and World Snooker seem to want FTA. Sky totally withdrew from snooker a decade ago for whatever reason.

Realistically that leaves ITV who do good coverage of their events on ITV3/4 but that just isn't as big a 'name' channel for attracting audiences and a company being willing to stump up big sponsorship. Incidentally if they showed the final in ITV1 it would be a disaster for those us with VM in Leinster.

Also worth pointing out that everyone in the UK (their actual target market and paying customers) gets as much BBC coverage as they want. Everyone has red button/iplayer.

I think there's a lot of 'rose-tinted spectacles' here. My memory (1980s,90s,2000s) is of really poor coverage, especially in the evenings when they only showed 7-8pm and then a highlights show at 10.30pm (11.30pm BBCNI if we were lucky). Mornings were just catch-up highlights, afternoons were solid but consistently prone to interruption by politics and often shared with other sports - horseracing in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

completely agree, the amount of times I got pissed off at the bbc in the 90s because the snooker wasn’t on was unreal. Then they’d show an hour and switch to Masterchef or something. Full coverage was only for then semis and finals.

Eurosport is a godsend

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement