Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Flanagan should have been given a red. Awful goal given away. But jack prendergast could have sneaked one back but de bourka is a huge loss…!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Nash one not a red for me. He was slightly late no malice it in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Left it behind us with our poor wides. That game was there for the taking

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Feck left that behind us, poor wides killed us. Big game next Sunday hopefully bodies are recovered in time and no new injuries. Would be good to have iarlaith daly back especially as it looks like tadgh will be out

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus it's a cruel game

We gave it a right rattle but just fell short like we seem to always do against teams like Limerick. The wides killed us, Limerick are a mammoth team and there defence showed it when it was needed

Let's hope we didn't use up all our gas today as next weeks game is a Must win. Cork coming in fresh infront of a big home crowd

Gutted too see TDB going off injured and sadly didn't look to good. Possibly could of been his last time playing in a Waterford Jersey but let's hope not and wishing him all the best in recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

Great chance left behind today.. Too much respect shown to that Limerick side altogether. When Waterford went toe to toe at the start of the second half, Limerick were rattled. Flanagan should have gotten the line, and Hegarty can have no complaints either.. Again, our shooting and decision making left us down badly today.. Nothing to fear from Cork next week, play our own brand of hurling and the results will come.. Up the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Iarlaith Daly not good enough for intercounty hurling. Either is his brother, Darragh Lyons or Jack pendergast. Too many players on Waterford teams from the west of the county even though the best clubs and hurlers are from the east of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Was the same said last yr. The end of the day Waterford wasn't able to bt 14 men Limerick. Who also missed a few handy scores and a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Wides wides shocking the reality is now if we don’t beat cork we most likely screwed . How much todays game has taken out of us is the big question . I repeat again you’d expect limerick to easy outnumber us support wise but not by that much . Christ the game was in thurles not Antrim !! No wonder we are stuck with Walsh park .

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

The one that got away.

The spate of wides in the second half was ridiculous as was the tactic of lumping down route 1 ball from 50 minutes on.

As for the bennett free- 2 point swing and the bizarre decision to call a free on quaid after the ball was over the already over post . Dont know why gleesons booted point was chalked off either?

Anyway - it was there for the taking and we didnt take it. Lets just hope they work on their shooting for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Disappointed not to get the win and I feel we left it behind. We had a great opportunity with an extra man but as others have said, some desperate wides cost us. Saying that, after 20 minutes or so, I thought it was going to be another day of despair for us. So I’m happy the team got stuck in and kept battling.

I don’t know what puck out strategy we started with but it was clearly not working. Limerick pushed up and we seemed to puck it long to a man surrounded by three limerick men. Our first touch let us down a lot today too. Basic stuff. But look it was great to see we can still compete and the players deserve great credit for digging deep. It was heartbreaking to see Tadhg go off and I wondered if that may be the last time we see him.

Also we seemed to concede the short puck out over and over and even with an extra man, that may have been unwise.

Sorry but that’s total crap. For starters. Jack Prendergast has been one of our best players over the last five or so years.

Suppose if we were told dis morning that 'a 2 point defeat in a game in which we could of won' we'd be content but i do understand the frustration around. After the opening quarter it looked a bit grim for us tbh and TDB going off def fired our lads up. That Limerick defence is something else

Next weeks game is our 'final' and John Muillane on the radio saying we could be favourites going into the it which might not suite us.

Tipp had a very good start today and by throw in next sunday we will know the result of the Limerick vs Clare game (im guessing a Limerick win would be somewhat favourable for us)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Where's all the clowns who doubted Davy Fitz before today? Tactical masterclass I must say. Individual errors from players today cost us but next Sunday we will get it across the line.

jesus you’re heart would go out to tadgh. The hell he has been through the last 3 and a half years to come back from the two cruciates and for this to happen to him just when it looked like he was getting back to the old tadgh. Hopefully it’s not as bad as they think but you would worry for him

• Advertisement

Can’t agree with you there. The only problem I would have with iarlaith is he seems to very injury prone but as far as a player I rate him very highly and if he could stay injury free he will be one of the first names on the team. Just go back to last year down in limerick gillane didn’t get a puck off him for 25 mins and then he went off injured and gillane goes on to have a man of the match performance. Cathrach is still a bit raw, still young was under 20 last year but definitely has plenty of potential and I think jack pender has been one of our most consistent players over the last few years. Very stylish hurler, can take a score and gets through a ton of work

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Dropped into semple at half time and sat on the limerick 21 so had a good view of the long high balls. Would have been a decent tactic if the fullback was isolated but Waterford had obviously decided on these plays as all three full forwards plus their markers and a spare man were in the area with no room to play even if a Waterford player won possession. Anytime the ball was sprayed wide and slow , a Waterford player won possession. A mix of both is usually a better tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

The tactics the last 20 minutes today were absolutely moronic. Limerick sat off every puck out Billy Nolan took. Why was the direction from the line not to work the ball and take scores from out the field? Conor Gleeson’s point was over the Limerick bar no more than 10 seconds after the puck out was taken. It was the most obvious tactic to deploy in order to make use of the spare man, which we absolutely didn’t do. Pumping repeated high ball in on top of the biggest and strongest full back line in Ireland won’t win games and why it was persisted with I just can’t understand it.

Did the players panic a small bit when the chance to beat Limerick was there in front of them? People at the match today were saying it was a free hit for Waterford beforehand, there’s absolutely no such thing as a free hit. Not with our record anyway. Anything less than a win next weekend and the year is over again and it’s not even May. De Burca’s injury didn’t look good from where I was sitting. At 28 with two bad injuries behind him already, you wouldn’t blame him if he decided not to come back from this if it’s as bad as feared. He’s been robbed of the prime years of his career already and it’s such a shame that it’s looking like another year gone from him now. The other side to the disappointing result today is the reality of what each player puts themselves through to play for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Who was the Waterford mentor who struck Hegarty? In fairness bang out of order

I asked the same thing earlier and referred to him as a clown and my post deleted…….most moronic thing I’ve seen in years since davey himself shoved the Tipp player a few years ago…..also which team dr got the booking and for what offence…?

People around me were saying he was the kit man. I can’t verify that myself.

Embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Go away out of it, we lost with seriously questionable tactics for the last 20 odd minutes against 14 men. Some joke, a masterclass he says and we after losing. You're easily entertained.

oooops

Post edited by Jjjjjjjjbarry on

Anyone else having an issue adding their ticket for the Clare and Tipp games to their phone’s wallet? (iPhone) When I click Add to Wallet, nothing happens. Had no issue with the Limerick or Cork ticket.

• Advertisement

Advertisement