Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hes colin dunfords first cousin i believe , his family moved up to the burren a number of years back , has a brother in the minor panel too

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

I figured that might have been the case, a good move on their part and an even better move from a Clare hurling perspective

i was the same as you , heard alot about him from his performances with tubber but never got a chance to see him until Thursday night still a bit raw at times but looks a huge prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I hear no ref showed for Coolmeen V Kilmurry. Players drove from Cork & Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Another good win for the minor hurlers last night, v Cork. A good round robin overall with 3 wins and 1 loss.

We will now play the losers of Cork-Limerick next week (probably Cork) in a home Munster semi final on May 2nd. Great chance to get back to another Munster final. Reaching the Munster final guarantees an All-Ireland semi final, regardless of the result.

The U20s now need to wait on other results, but most likely face an away Munster semi-final v the losers of Cork-Limerick on May 8th.

• Advertisement

John Fogarty tweet - Clare love the round robin:

Three-season Munster #GAA SHC round-robin table (2018, '19, '23).

Clare W8 D1 L3 Pts 17

Limerick W7 D2 L3 Pts 16

Cork W6 D2 L4 Pts 14

Tipperary W4 D2 L6 Pts 10

Waterford W1 D1 L10 Pts 3.

after a bit of fact finding I compiled that very same chart last July on here,

that might look quite impressive from a Clare point of view but in the cold light of day they have sweet F**k all to show for it

• Advertisement

If the old knockout system was in place Clare's 12 games would span out for a minimum of 4 years to a maximum of 6 years [provided there was no drawn games]

The success percentage of those same 12 Round Robin games is 70.83%

The point I'm trying to make is with that winning percentage and the old knockout system in place over 4/6 years Clare would have 2 to 3 Munster Titles bagged instead of none

Team named for tomorrow (hurlers).

Change of goalie ? And a championship debut for Adam Hogan.

I'm not really sure how they will actually start, thought Duggan and Galvin would be under pressure for the places. No David Fitzgerald of course, due to suspension.

1. Éamonn Foudy (Inagh-Kilnamona)

2. Adam Hogan (Feakle)

3. Conor Cleary (St Joseph’s Miltown)

4. Paul Flanagan (Ballyea)

5. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)

6. John Conlon (Clonlara)

7. David McInerney (Tulla)

8. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge)

9. Tony Kelly (Ballyea)

10. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)

11. Ryan Taylor (Clooney-Quin)

12. Aidan McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)

13. Ian Galvin (Clonlara)

14. Shane O’Donnell (Éire Óg)

15. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)

16. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)

17. Cian Nolan (Smith O’Brien’s)

18. Aaron Fitzgerald (Éire Óg)

19. Shane Meehan (Banner)

20. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones)

21. Paddy Donnellan (Broadford)

22. Robin Mounsey (Ruan)

23. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones)

24. Cian Galvin (Clarecastle)

25. Jack Kirwan (Parteen-Meelick)

26. Brandon O’Connell (Clondegad)

Clare 1-16 Limerick 0-16

A bit of a heart stopper at times tonight at the unofficial home of clare gaa 😜, but great to be back in a munster final in football for the first time in 11 years

if the game was a boxing match it went the 12 rounds decided by an early blow by keelan sexton that saw limerick hit the deck in round 1 , the home side recovered to take controll of the game between the 15th and 30th minutes of the first half , with midfielder conor downes kicking two huge scores ,full back brian donovan and goalkeeper donal o sullivan canceled out the early goal , but big scores from cleary mcmahon and jamie malone kept us in the lead by the half way point

Early sexton and cleary points had clare 4 points up by the 43rd minute but from that point on limerick had clare on the ropes , the introduction of the excellent gordon browne led limerick to dominate the next 20 minutes 0-7-0-3 and take the lead twice in the closing stages , before scores by cleary 66th minute , walsh 71st , mcmahon 73d and rouine 74th minutes just about got us over the line

one or two excellent stephan ryan saves helped along the way also

the biggest disappointment of the night was the lack of support for the home side , while we often joke about the gaelic grounds to be a home venue for us , 2/3rds of the 3600 attendance were clare supporters , the performance tonight by the home team warranted much more then that and especially after getting to a munster final laast year , mark fitzgerled has done a supper job also for limerick in a really troubled year for the shannonsiders , the limerick county board really need to get behind him now and this team

from a clare view point , ciaran russell was outstanding for us tonight , he was involved in most of our scores , podge was excellent too covering every blade of grass on the field , but the 3 men in the forwards , emmett mcmahon, eoin cleary and again keelan sexton top class from play again , hopefully they can do themselves justice in the final against kerry

clare scorers

keelan sexton 1-4

eoin cleary 0-4

emmett mcmahon 0-2

pearse lillis 0-1

jamie malone 0-1

cillian rouine 0-1

dermot coughlin 0-1

daniel walsh 0-1

cillian brennan 0-1

match highlights

Post edited by windy shepard henderson on

Shhh we have a spy in the ranks .....

earlier in the week we had a lad from tipp on here informing us a referee didnt turn up to a junior division 4 league game the same lad has been talking down his counties chances since christmas , and then on top fo that tipperary themselves name a team for sunday with their goalkeeper in midfield their full back corner forward and the surprise inclusion of the pat short character Dan Clancy at right half back 😂

i sense an ambush of dan breen proportions tomorrow , we better be ready ......

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Scraped to victory tonight, but wouldn't worry about that, in previous years when we have destroyed Limerick we have been awful in the next round and vice versa.

Biggest worry is that Brennan and Doherty went off with hamstring injuries which would rule them out for the final. This would make the final a farce as they are our only two man markers.

We are overly dependent on Sexton up front and are lacking a reliable free taker.

But hey we are in a the Munster final.

as right you are about everything above , my advice is enjoy these moments when they arrive, we are in a munster final before any hurling championship starts , a free shot at the all ireland champions before we enter the all ireland series and 3 more top games to look forward to , hopefully we can reach the last 8 again like last year ,

we also have some excellent players coming through as last monday night showed , both brendy and the excellent young brian mc are on the panel also but couldnt feature tonight the future is bright whatever happens

I hear Lohan tried Duggan and Shanagher up top with Kelly and McCarthy sniffing for the breaks for a spell against Galway in the recent challenge match. The oul twin towers approach. That's right. Tis in black white. Tis in the book. I guess we can expect that for a spell tomorrow.

So the rumors of the ice cream truck parked outside the caherlohan (so called) center of excellence for the past 3 weeks are true then how much is a 99 these days ?

all jokes aside its a huge game tomorrow , lohan is taking a huge gamble by putting all the eggs into the one basket , and given how the draw works out it really puts us under pressure if we dont win tomorrow

personally i see nothing wrong with what cahil has done by naming the team in alphabetical order and then naming players all over the place meaning about 8 positional switches if that team even starts , nothing was more annoying then the white helmet mahers in the half back line though

we cant complain as we probably invented the idea in the first place .

in terms of the game its self , tipp have a great record up here , they dont get intimidated like other teams do , they had a good league and played well against a strong limerick for the best part of 60 minutes , we will have to be up to the exact pace of last April/may to win tomorrow , my worry about that is we had amuch better league last year in terms of intensity and performance

o'donnell meehan and rodgers will be huge for us , looking forward to seen ger o'connor at championship level and how he performs , i can guarantee you one thing it wont be 3-21 to 2-16 like last time

Time to head on. Anyway, I don't know if it will live up to the hype. Championship cobwebs will need to be blown out.

Twill be a tale of two exciting forward divisions and whatever backs can do the business I'd say.

What a disaster.

Hard to know if that defending can be fixed in a week. Goalie and full back line very very poor.

again Tony Kelly very very quiet. Duggan and O'Donnell fought hard but didn't really contribute a lot in terms of scores, not sharp enough.

It felt like they just weren't ready for championship, maybe this game can bring them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Clare 3-23(32) Tipperary 5-22(37) - only 5 pts this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

incredible number of errors today , two very soft goals almost unforgivable the 3rd was almost as bad , 16 wides 14 from play endless amount of short passing turn overs and dragged all over the place at the back , went 17 minutes of the second half with a strong wind at our backs and scored 2 points

to lose by 5 points nearly gives me hope at this stage

thats my hope also , hogan was very lucky not to have been sent off , paul flanagan is as much a culprit for the 2nd goal as the keeper , we need tipp to beat in two weeks time to keep us in the hunt if we dont win next week, that performance will get us hammered in limerick next week

expect to see rory hayes and maybe cian nolan start ahead of todays two corners , the half back line was dreadful also

no need for the spy job , i was expecting an ambush today instead we just shot ourselves in the foot

looking forward to hear your views on the avondhu division 5 junior d league over on the cork thread ,,,

forde was excellent for ye today , john mcgrath just dragged cleary all over the place all day , morris looked sharp an dangerous from the word go , , johney ryan and brian mccgrath were excellent at the back , noel destroyed us in the middle int he first half too, this was the tipperary performance iwas dreading the last few weeks we didnt help ourselves today but it was more then the deserved outcome

the hardest working team wins the game as they say

The best players for both teams (Morris and A.McCarthy) were also their performers on the league, maybe there’s something in that. They built up form.

Maybe we should have gone full strength in the league for the last game or two, you need to play as a unit, backs and forwards. Like Foudy and Flanagan or Conlon, how often have they ever played together ?

Big decision next week on the corner backs but also the goalie. We haven’t had a really top goalie since Davy probably.

i was thinking the same all day , even before throw in ,tipp weather they lost or won always showed well in their games , we did nothing , we hammered a poor wexford second string and a limited westmeath . we were poor against both galway and cork but we all just shrugged our shoulders and said its only the league

we are starting to run out of time now

listen that was a really good game today , high intensity some excellent scores and great atmosphere , we made more then a few errors that we never usually make , correct them and we still have a huge chance in this group

i hold the standard of the game today as a plus , we beat waterford a few years ago in walsh park ,in a flat drab game and got pounced on in our next two outings , i dont see that happening this year even against limerick next week i feel today will stand to us

i fancied tipp before today , they love the park they thrive on that atmosphere rather then feel intimidated and have a great record up here , co inside with some excellent new lads and the return of a few old from injury , i am not surprised with the outcome just annoyed how lose we were today '

i am not going to bash foudy either , we had 16 wides today 14 from play , mccarthy had 5 3 from play i can forgive him but not the likes of diarmuid ryan malone and at times ryan taylor , it seams we have learned nothing from kilkenny last june

david fitz to come back , and no hannon and heagerty next week for the shannonsiders , i am not saying we will win but it gives us a chance if we improve on today , .....keep the faith i say 👍️

Spare a thought for Foudy. The lad will be going through the mill tonight. He's a lot better than that. There's no place to hide in that position. He looked very good in the league. He has a bright future.

Tipp forwards put a good bit of pressure of Clare backs that forced back passes and he was swallowed up. It happens.

The dirty diesel is burnt through now. I think Clare will be the better of today.

I think Conlon and Kelly needed a game. Perhaps, came in a little undercooked.

I don't think there's huge issues to be rectified. But first touch and shot selection would be high on the list for the next games. The full back line needs to risk getting out in front more, for my money. A lot of risky defending from behind going on.

Some crazy angles for points taken on - maybe, playing to the pressure of the crowd a bit. Just felt rushed from Clare at times but they were put under a lot of pressure from Tipp.

The forward line looks like he picked the best 6 but is it balanced? I'm not to sure the ratio to donkey work men to finishers is right at the moment. I'd put Kelly back on frees, he needs to be kept in the game (and probably to feel like he's the main man rather than being phased out for McCarthy). McCarthy is a bull of a man who'll win his own ball and get involved regardless of who is on him and maybe doesn't need the frees as much.

• Advertisement

i could kill paul flanagan for his constant backward passing under pressure which caused the 2nd goal , he was taking the easy way out and put a young keeper under pressure, , foudy was nervous under the high ball though, his puck outs and shot stopping are really good though ,

Advertisement