Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poor teigh De Burca is cursed

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,943 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Shane Dowling in the studio so we won't be getting any impartial view of the nastier incidents today so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Oh give it over for Christ’s sake. He didn’t punch him, he pushed him with an open palm and with an extended arm. At worst it could be deemed to be a “bitch slap” into the chest. It was embarrassing and that’s all it was. No need for a ban or anything, he’ll get one for interfering with a player but it was embarrassing more than outrageous. Absolutely stupid thing to do, what he was trying to achieve I’ve no idea.

As for you, untangle your knickers, the fake outrage is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yea lets all be ok with mentors hitting players. That reasonable alright.

sneaking out of the benches to land a cheap shot and then hide again in the benches.

With people of his ilk in the backroom team its no wonder waterford never win F all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Sunday Game a joke when counties playing analysysed by County person.

Shane Dowling uses the oul fat mentor to totally deflect from Hegarty, Flanagan etc. Ursula not strong enough to call it out. Not just with Dowling but analysis is all too parochial.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Shane Dowling can get in the bin as an analyst. RTÉ host should be pressing him for a comment on the two shoulders to the head.

No excusing the Waterford official but it is a distant third in terms of severity of the three incidents they just showed on the Sunday game. (Flanagan + Hegarty shoulders and then the Waterford official showing Hegarty)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

His breakdown of Waterford's play was very good to be fair (the newer lads are more switched on with the modern tactics), but yeah his deflection of his county's antics was embarrassing. I did call it as soon as I saw he was on duty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Shane Dowling a disgrace on the Sunday Game tonight analyising the Hegarty incident and let away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Glenomra

No comparison. A mentor running in and striking a player is a far more serious offence than any player strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,136 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He is a diabolical pundit, a yes man.

This new Sunday Game highlights programme is dire.

Dire pundits, Shane Dowling and Ursula Jacob tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

He shoved him with one hand. It’s bad but it is in no way in the same world as a shoulder to the head at force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Weird how Tony Kelly almost never plays well against Tipp.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Never remember him been hit by an official. Do you? Unless it happened in a club game in Wexford i haven't seen it.

A mentor hitting a participating player on the sideline is, to me, on par with the racist abuse directed at Lee Chin, which i have also condemned as disgusting in my posts in recent weeks. No place for either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

for Balance, the pundits should either all be neutral , or have one each from the counties playing.

obviously Dowling is a proud limerick man , but that he’s way too close to the players to be impartial

Limerick were again lucky and on another day Flanagan and Nash could also have been sent off. I know O’Dnoghue, Hayes have recently gotten retrospective bans….but they still start the next day with 15. Going down to 13 or 12 today (after Hegarty’s red) would surely have changed the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

I am appalled by hegarty, first he cleans out the waterford player in a cowardly fashion and than does some dreadful play acting when lightly tapped by the waterford chap.

And than dowling comes out with awful shite and is let away it. He has no business on Sunday game as he is too biased. It's embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

He looks like a young calf being let onto grass for the first time, legs kicking and head rolling. Is he from farming stock himself, has it down to a tee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,943 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's not because the mentor wasn't a Limerick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

This. FFS can we just do away with the token female analyst, they add nothing to the analysis of the men’s game. Sunday Game used to be must watch when you had Farrell, Loughnane etc but now it’s just watch the game on catchup and skip the analysis completely

Paul Flynn and Enda McGinley two gents.

GAA analysis of hits to the head at force is so poor.

We have stronger players than ever before, all sports are so proactive on the dangers of hits to the head. But that vacuous space cadet Dowling says it's 'Munster hurling'. How that fella passed an interview to analyse on National TV.. Long way from Eamon Cregan.

I really miss loughnane, yes he was biased but he was also biased against his own clare due to how he finished up

Best of them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

No easy for Hegarty at 6"5. He should never have lined up the smaller man for the shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

He actually remained behind the fence, so technically he didn’t go “running in” anywhere. The way people are crying about it you’d swear he went in to the edge of the square with a hammer and took Hegarty out.

Let’s call a spade a spade, what happened was wrong I don’t think anyone will deny it. But the crying about it from Limerick is embarrassing. They’re the best team in the country and this kind of stuff is what they should be laughing at. One thing I will say is Hegarty is an out and out thug. I’d like to see him absolutely nailed, but by a fellow player. Not a push from an OAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Brendan Maher 2019 + Cathal Barrett 2023 = No Kelly influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Shhhh, you'll have Ursula all upset again 😂😂.

In fairness to Duignan he has a strong personality.

He called out Wexford for dirty head blows v Dublin 10-12 year ago. Fell out with Larry O'Gorman, Liam Dunne, Storey, his Wexford contemporaries. But he's hardy, didn't bother him.

Creggan called the 1997 All Ireland Tipp v Clare, as average but exciting, not classic hurling. Loughnane had a cut off him at the victory banquet. Loughnane would call it and often pulled up Kilkenny.

Cyril never really offended anyone. Donal O'Grady was good in the 80s and 90s. Tomas Mul stated the obvious.

Some of the younger retired are more interested in what they're wearing and how the look. Ursula's analysis is ok but she's a timid persona. Shefflin ok but showed ex team mate bias in 2019, Richie Hogan incident.

I always had a lot of time for Len Gaynor as a man of integrity.

• Advertisement

That's missing the point. He needlessly took him out hard and LATE high. By your logic 6ft 5 men shouldn't shoulder 90% of opposition players.

Walter Walsh is 6ft 5 and I don't recall any similar instances. Kyle Hayes is 6ft 6 and doesn't end up in the situations Hegarty always does.

Advertisement