Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Rides

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Rode the Crumbling Rocks 200 Permanent on Saturday with one other, starting and finishing in Ballyporeen.

A fabulous route, but not one for the faint of heart or anyone that doesn't like getting their bike and kit filthy dirty, an 'interesting' mix of surfaces from sh!te encrusted farm tracks to small gravel sections and an abundance of 'grass growing up the middle', to some half decent tarmac....I loved it!

Based around the route creators fascination/obsession with abandoned and ruined churches/graveyards (and dead people 😀), we counted 20+ churches and even less cars, it was such a quiet route.

Total ride time was eight and a half hours on the nail, and minimal short 10 minute stops in Fethard and Newcastle.

A damp, drizzly and blustery start turned into a pretty good day in the end. Lucky enough to get away without puncturing for the day, rode it on 28's.

As we rolled into Ardfinnan, an hour from Ballyporeen we had views of the Comeraghs/Galtees and Knockmealdowns in the setting sun, truly magic 😃

Post edited by selwyn froggitt on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Glad ye enjoyed it; that little road into Ardfinnan by Lady's Well church Abbey is one of my favourite roads around.

Here's the gravel version since you are warmed up for south Tipp!

EDIT, I just checked the gravel route shares only 70km or so with Saturday's route, so 135km new km.

Including some lovely tarmac

and one of the better ways to cross the wretched N24

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Big shout out to Paul O'D and crew for organising today's inaugural Miners' Cross 200. It was a fantastic event over many less travelled/forgotten roads and a suitable replacement for the Mick Byrne. Looking forward to next year already.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7180999431

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Yes, The Miners Cross is an instant classic,on a par with any audax I have done.

Very enjoyable route with fantastic views & quite challenging with well over 3000m of climbing as my body can currently attest to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

was that you in the Swords kit, would've said hi if I'd known.

Yeah great event, POD's knowledge of the hilly back roads of Wicklow is quite incredible. Still suffering the consequences today 😨

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Quiet Man 300 was on last Saturday. It was my first venture into audax. Superb route around Mayo. Great welcome from organiser Seamus O'Dowd who was also there for every finisher.

Wind was a bit brisk, but it made for an easy last 30k.

Paddy Reilly 200 was on yesterday out of Ballyjamesduff.

An undulating route through lake country on a mix of really quite boreens and regional roads.

I had very little cycling done over the past few months and in spite of the heat I really enjoyed it. Didn't stop much and dialled back pace on big climb of day before heat dialled it back for me!

We had to call into a house for water as route is pretty remote between 123 and 188; which organiser had well flagged beforehand.

Got to meet a few regular audax heads for first time ( I haven't ridden an event since 18) which was great.

I was pretty glad to get off the bike in Ballyjamesduff after the lumpy road from Cavan at end.

I'd definitely like to go back and do in better shape and a little cooler.

Thanks to organiser and his assistant for a great day on the bike

Manicured Cavan road grass

Yes, it was much tougher than it looked on paper. I've never been on so many roads with grass in the center. It was hard to believe some were public roads. I ran out of water also and couldn't see anyone at any house to ask for some so I was in rag order when I got to Cavan town. I thought someone had moved Ballyjamesduff near the end - it seemed to take me forever to complete the last section. (The amount of loose dogs along the route would deter me from returning).

• Advertisement

The organisers dilemma right there; I was hope for more boreens and thought the surfaces were really good.

You can't make a route to keep everyone happy, I'd gladly resign to get some of the regional road of route but I'm definitely an outlier.

We met a few dogs, but none that really meant business, and nothing that I wouldn't meet on a regular spin.

I had to reroute one of my own permanent routes because of a particular dog; now he was a nasty (unt. Route wouldn't be for yourself it makes the Paddy Reilly look like Mondello 🙂

We met a few dogs, but none that really meant business, and nothing that I wouldn't meet on a regular spin.

Unfortunately it's my weak point and something that I've tried to address for years with limited success. My natural inclination is to unclip and get off the bike when I meet a loose barking dog (which happened about 10 times yesterday). I then beat myself up about it and am determined to keep moving the next time. I'm much better on group rides but I suppose there's safety in numbers and it's not such a problem in Dublin/Wicklow/Meath/Kildare.

....and those so called 'law abiding' country folk are never around to control their pests!

Big Fella 200 organisers ride was on today out of Ballincollig. Its an undulating trip to West Cork passing through important landmarks in the life of Michael Collins and his final patrol and death.

https://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/big-fella-200/

Really nice route even if you have no interest in the history but a very rewarding one if you do. Maybe 40km or so on regional roads, and most of that at start when quite, the rest on pretty good quality local roads through west Cork.

Even though no mountains are climbed, with highest point less than 200m it's not an easy route but not that difficult either.

Plotting a nice route on back roads takes a lot of time on a desktop first and then on bike. Given the theme of this ride the research required to get it as good as it is must have been quite a time consuming project.

The event is on Saturday week and I'd highly recommend it especially given its the centenary of Collins death.

Added bonus in getting a concise description on antilag systems in rally cars and understanding the difficulty with changing the differential ratios in an Opel Manta as the rear axle had to come out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Hoping to make my entry to audax with the Blackwater 200 permanent in a few weeks when fitness is sufficient. Onwards to the surf and turf 300 in June and Yola 200 in September. Have to say the Audax Ireland website and contributions here have made for very enjoyable reads.

Best of luck the Blackwater is a nice route, pretty undulating with tough sections in places.

Surf and Turf 300 has a lot of changes for the better between Waterford and Cahir, although it's still a draft route.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Has surf and turf been on many years? Any idea on numbers? I should probably just contact the organiser for more info 👍

It was used as day 1 of the mile failte in 2014, with Youghal to Midelton return on top.

It was an event before that but small numbers I would guess.

Might attract a few this year with PBP qualification.

Some lovely little roads on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Thread about the Surf & Turf from long, long ago...

Completed the three rivers 300 Audax on Saturday as part of my SR series to (hopefully) qualify for Paris-Brest-Paris this August.

My total respect for all those hardy souls who completed it, some coming in just before the cut off time of 2am (Sunday morning)

What a brutal day, block headwinds on the costal parts to Clonakilty and then píssing rain from Cousane gap at 1pm until I finished at twenty past nine that evening. The wind even changed direction in the afternoon to add to our collective misery.

Glad of the extra clothing I brought with me, I’ve learned my lessons from previous Audax events, be prepared!

That bottle of beer I had when I got home never tasted sweeter 😃 Love Audax

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Small beer compared to some of the folks doing the Easter Fleche this weekend but myself and a couple of my pals did the Laois 200 Permanent audax route today. On a cool blustery day we had a great day out, a lovely route with roads I'd never have seen, even in the parts of Laois that I thought I was familiar with close to me here in Kildare, the audax heads are great men and women for those lovely roads with grass up the middle.

210kms, 2150m climbed in just a shade under 8 and a half hours on the bike.

I've always said Laois is an under appreciated county for cycling, todays route showed it off really well

• Advertisement

What's your opinion on the current trend of posting What's App pics to show proof of passage?

Handy for the organisers I suppose but it can be de-moralising for us slow and steady types. On today's Midlands 300. I was in Moate, Co Westmeath with about 100kms to go when some fecker posted himself at the finish line.

I presume you don't have to use WhatsApp and can still go old school?

Otherwise just mute the group and upload when you finish?

It does give an incentive for a bit of biggus dickus showboating I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

As an organiser, its been a godsend. I can track riders over the course and get a lot of my validation work done beforehand. Plus I don't have to deal with handfuls of receipts - a 40 rider event with 5 controls is a lot of wasted paper. Not to mention that some riders think it's acceptable to proffer a congealed mass of receipts that have been marinating in a jersey pocket for 200 hot kilometers - they wouldn't even put them in a bag. WhatsApp also means that I don't have to be hanging around the finish or arranging a "Ronnie bag" or SAEs to get the receipts and brevet cards back to me.

I do offer riders the alternative of paper based proof of passage but nobody has taken up the offer over several events.

As a rider, it's useful where you don't want to stop and buy anything ( or get an ATM receipt) at a control point. It's also been handy on events where riders further up the road have been able to notify the rest of us about road closures due to a crash etc.

Audax UK run an e-brevet app which allows riders clock in at the control points using their phones. The information is visible only to the organiser and the rides are automatically validated at the finish control.

Yes, all good points. It does make a lot of sense from the organisers point of view. I'll just have to get faster and stop lounging around eating my own weight in rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Hi folks

I'm new to this. I've completed two 200k permanents earlier in the summer, but now id like to try a 300k if possible.

I need to buy some front and rear lights, also some reflective gear and a bag of some sort to store stuff.

Was wondering is their a good cycling store that people could recommend which would have this gear?

Or maybe someone could recommend some lights, bags that are online.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

I'd recommend that you not spend a lot of money on lights initially, but instead to get 2 lights front and 3 rear lights. The extra front light is backup, but can be switched on when you might need more light, e.g. fast descents. I'd have two running rear lights and keep a third light as a 'spare'. Get an idea of the run-time and modes, you dont need to have them on the highest setting. I have a 1000 lumen light that I use on a low (200 lumen?) setting, that way I get 4-6 hours from it

Avoid no-brand-name lights that you might find on Amazon. Halfords have a reasonable selection of lights.

Usb chargeable set: https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/lezyne-macro-drive-600xl-front-light-and-micro-drive-rear-light-set-170708.html

Battery lights (backup): https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/cateye-el135%2Fld155-bike-light-set-698583.html

optional extra rear light: https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/halfords-50-lumen-rear-bike-light-253294.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Thanks very much mh_cork for that really great information. Will go online today and purchase some of the above. Thanks again.

Have a look at the Ravemen front and rear lights also, the front light has a USB port which will charge your GPS on the go.

Huge battery life and good value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spudpicker2022

Yep, i have ravemen too and find it excellent. It comes with a "headlight/dims" toggle which is handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Best of luck to all the riders from Audax Ireland taking part in this years edition of Paris- Brest- Paris which has started today.

It has been an incredible achievement for all to enter let alone finish- hope they & all the other participants has a fabulous time.

Advertisement