Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Simply put neither Europe or the US has infinite resources and equipment to give ukraine unlimited counter offensives against Russia,

For instance if the Ukrainans get bogged down anywhere and lose a Fair amount of their newly aquired tanks and IFVs do you think that Europen countries will sit there and say ah sure don't worry we will send another couple of hundred of modern armoured vehicles,for a second or possibly third counter attack,

Moskva was the only big ticket ship they sank at least 10 are operating in the black sea most days,and they have repaired the bridge,

Russia are still dangerous and still have cards to play,

For instance one of the videos in the article shows a single craft landing and a few lads get out and start running,the second video from the same area shows three craft moving along the river once the craft land the Ukrainans soldiers they almost immediately get hit with artillery,

The landing aren't new but they aren't landing big numbers or equipment this will be the most difficult part as they learned with the failed Zaporizhzhia river assault back in October

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't forget the republicans in the US will also be ever more vocal in the run up to 2024 regarding continued aid.

Ukraine needs to deliver big decisive gains, not get bogged down. It needs to demonstrate to the west that the support and weapons are helping to deliver on the ground. If it can prove that then support will remain strong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah, there is obviously a balance between "one shot deal" counter offensive and Ukraine's ability to do this forever.

No one knows where the chips will lie in 6 months from now so there is not much point debating what the potential end goal will be. Ukraine will not accept the current situation and I suspect would continue on without significant Western support if needs be. Equally they probably would accept something less than 2014 borders.

For all the moronic statements about "all wars end in talks so let's do that now", the state of play will very much be driven by what happens on the battlefield over the next 6 months. Ukraine will keep fighting either way, but the outcome of this summer is of vital importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Do you really think if Ukraine got bogged down and lost a fair amount of armor etc... that the west will force Ukraine to negotiate wit Russia?

How do you see that working out, in that instance Russia would hold all the cards and be demanding sanctions are lifted, seized assets returned (possibly with interest). Maybe the ICC drop the charges against Putin, ignore all the other 80k+ war crimes. Allow Russia to keep their spoils of war, including children etc... The Russia can focus and regroup to take all of Ukraine next time etc...

Or would the West, seeing things deteriorating for Ukraine and at the risk of having to negotiate (both Ukraine & the West) with a wanted war criminal decide to up their game and give Ukraine more? Could be more palatable giving Ukraine ATACM's, C-RAMS, Cruise Missiles etc... rather than seeing Russia rewarded.

I'm curious, what other cards has Russia still to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

They need the ground to firm up before they can use all of the donated equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Do you have a link to details on this failed Zaporizhzhia river assault that you mention as I don't remember seeing anything about it from anywhere other than you mentioning it?

The articles say they are based on a report that was using information released from the russian side including videos that were geo-located. The Ukrainians are not saying anything about what is going on with their efforts in the Dnipro river area so I don't know how you are so confident the moskovytes are not just releasing the media that shows them putting up a competent answer to a weak Ukrainian offensive when something different is going on there in reality. Maybe the Ukrainians are just trying to flush out the position of the moskovyte artillery so it can be destroyed before their main assault or it could be something else. The moskovytes have a long front to defend so wouldn't be a surprise if there are a few weak spots along the line that Ukraine will find and exploit and hopefully drive out the invaders from their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yet another general calls for Ukraine to receive aircraft.

Gets it right criticising the slow pace and small quantity of weapon deliveries.

You'd think it was an auction, not a do or die war, with small grudging incremental bids with many fearful of paying too much.

• Advertisement

The Russians may or may not spy on us from their embassy, if they do then it's just one more country in a long list who are spying on us. On this list there are countries who caused us (and continue to cause us) vastly more harm than Russia ever has.

The Brits have been caught multiple times spying on us (eg Capenhurst tower, the Subsea cable tapping revealed by Snowden, etc), they continue to do so to this day, and they actively use the gained info to subvert our national interests and politicial processes.

It was in the US Intelligence leak's recently,I posted the story some time last week if I remember correctly,

@Wolf359f Do you really think if Ukraine got bogged down and lost a fair amount of armor etc... that the west will force Ukraine to negotiate wit Russia.

What do you think would happen if the Ukrainans got bogged down and lost a fair amount of their new armor exactly,

For instance if international support rapidly feel off how does ukraine keep holding off the Russian without the international communities support in fiance and ammunition and weapons

You're the one connecting a failed counteroffensive by Ukraine with a rapid drop off in support (finance & weapons) for Ukraine.

It's just as likely to increase support to Ukraine as the alternative (Putin dictating terms to Ukraine and the West) is inconceivable.

Maybe Biden was correct, they will support Ukraine for as long as it takes.

It's either that or just let Putin take over all of Ukraine as I can't see the West sitting down with a wanted war criminal for 'peace' talks.

Basically you don't actually know or your would rather not say just incase,

There is no infinite supply of weapons and armor vehicles from the west and EU this is a fact,if this counter attack doesn't work they way we expect,

Then what, Biden said this and Biden said that, but Biden won't be here in the long run,and if China makes a move on Taiwan where will the US effort pivot

You were the one mentioning a failed offensive could cause support for Ukraine to dry up.

Russia also does not an an infinite supply of weapons and armor. Even if the counteroffensive failed (one would need to define what failed would entail) there's still 40 odd Bradley's due out of the 109, 31 Abrams, Leopard 1's being refurbished, Poland's other soviet tanks when they receive their Abrams and Korean tanks and a range of artillery purchased new by/for Ukraine. All that will arrive after the counteroffensive launches. Not to mention the ramp up in 155 shell production. So it may not be infinite, but it's not all or nothing on the outcome of a single counteroffensive.

Define long run? Biden is still president for 2 more years if he doesn't run/win the next election. You're talking about an imminent counteroffensive potentially failing and support rapidly drying up for Ukraine and then expanding that into 2/6 year time frame and then adding in a China invasion on Taiwan to boot? Be realistic ffs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They're just two small battalions of tanks. Good tanks, but just tanks. It'll take more than them to make the difference

The ‘one and done’ offensive that Ukraine supposedly has… What a load of BS.

Take Zelensky, who thinks the person that said, ‘I need ammunition, not a ride’ is going to abandon Ukrainians to Russian war criminals if the West suddenly goes, ‘You win Putin!’?

It’s not going to happen. They will fight on. Even in the unlikely scenario the US/UK turn tail no way Poland and the Baltic’s do. They will step up even more.

But, let’s go back to the US/UK/EU STOP supporting Ukraine… have you lost oxygen to your brain? No way does the West stop support for Ukraine as long as the Ukrainians continue to want to fight. Zelensky is wooing the West to support him, but if for some reason they stop (say, we turn into Bizzaro world) he’ll still keep fighting.

So, let’s take the scenario China invades Taiwan and most of the US military supports Taiwan… you think they completely give up on Ukraine? Fantasy stuff!

Those saying Ukraine have only one shot at an offensive this summer are spouting pro Russian propaganda or something that would get me carded if I said what I thought.

Slava Ukraini!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think this report is very fishy. It was first reported by The Times and is not part of the intel leak. There were 500 or so Orc troops stationed there and it was reported at least 2 months prior - 8th Aug 20222 - that the plant had been mined.

Here's the account: https://news.yahoo.com/ukrainian-army-failed-regain-zaporizhzhia-050511020.html

If they had launched such an attack with HIMARS pounding the periphery, I doubt that would have gone unnoticed and unreported on social media, which I don't recall hearing of. Given the 2,000 plant operators and the mining, I would have thought a full on assault would have been extremely foolish

I think it's a story possibly based on a real incident a month or so earlier, when a handfull of Ukrainian special forces did sneak up to the ZNPP fence and take selfies and then snuck away. I posted the video at the time:

Those lads wouldn't have received permission to post the video at all if it was a reconoiter for a larger assault later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"I think this report is very fishy."

Looks that way alright. Reads very much like a comic book action sequence from a cheap sensationalist "news" platform and without Gatling providing anything credible to back up his version I'm going to continue to view this story as most likely fiction.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

I have direct experience of a number of Ukr families where the husbands are on the front line/supplying front lines and are happy that their remaining families are safe inIreland and it also relieves them of the worry and responsibility for their safety. They can then concentrate 100% on their tasks and their safety. It makes perfect sense/it’s very logical. I cannot see why anyone would be arguing on here either for or against

He can keep fighting until he runs out of supplies and equipment,

Then what,

Ehhh well ehhh but I read on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Why are we ONLY talking about the possibility of a limited supply of arms from the broad western supply sources and NOT A WORD about the sustainability - or otherwise- of supply from the Moscovy side. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭rolling boh

China going for Taiwan would be a massive boost for Putin it still looks likely Putin can keep plugging away to some level and is still a long way off being beaten back and out unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Not when the panzer fists arrive. The shoddy Russian army will be smashed to smithereens soon

when are you going to give us part two of the story. While we are waiting for it please do not forget that the Moscovies that left to avoid being conscripted are flocking back to join the Moscovy army. National moral is gone through the roof, munitions production has quadrupled, the population has agreed to half their salaries in order to fund any financial gap re funding the war, China, N Korea, Iraq, etc, etc are making sure that Moscovy is kept adequately armed, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I really hope you are right but have being hearing this talk for months now .

• Advertisement

@correct horse battery staple I’m starting to thinking your account has been hijacked because you have gone over to dark side lately bending over backwards to play up the corrupt Russian side for some reason,

Nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement