Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I found the quotes varied wildly. I got a range of quotes between €2.4k-€4.6k, these included VAT but excluded stamp duty.

I also noticed some quoted me stamp duty on the full price of the house not the ex-VAT price, even though they knew it was a new build. Could be an honest mistake but I'd say half did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Cheapest I saw €1000 excluding vat but it was too far away to justify the €200, the solicitor now is in the same town and was quite surprised that she was that price, I usually associate anyone in my town to be robbers haha

I’m waiting on two more quotes so will update then, but the first one isn’t bad and will probably be hard to beat or match..

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

Whatever you do go with a solicitor who has been recommended by someone who has used their service recently or you could have a nightmare.

She was recommended by a friend alright. So it’ll probably be her. The other solicitor came back with €1500 for each excluding vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm sale agreed hopefully closing in the next couple of weeks, there was a 5k booking deposit that was paid to the estate agent the day I went sale agreed months ago, do I need to get that back from them myself at a future date or will that be handed over to the vendors by them as part of the final sale amount or what usually happens there please?

Handed to your solicitor when paying the rest of your deposit to be transferred to the seller then

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Agree with this, cheaper solicitors may have higher volumes and that means slower response times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Can be used as the Estate Agents fee as well, and this amount is deducted from the Sale price of the seller. It depends on the arrangements made by the seller with the estate agent. Once you have a Solicitor lined up they will guide you on it.

Saw someone a few pages back asking about final documents before closing.

Just off the phone with my mortgage broker, my solicitor is requesting the drawdown on Monday. The broker confirmed he was speaking to TSB yesterday and everything is good to go and they don't appear to be requesting any extra documents.

My closing date is 27th April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

That's what my experience is, the EA takes their fee from the deposit and send the rest to my vendors solicitor. You will find the authorisation for that in the small print of the contract you probably signed with the EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

People who are currently selling houses: Are you getting bids in where you expected to be? Is the market changing significantly?

Currently selling our first home - A rated 6 year old 4 bed semi D house in turn key condition with landscaped garden in a sought after suburb/boarder county of Dublin. We priced it low as advised by our estate agent with the hope of getting lots of interest. We've had 5 viewings with plenty of viewers but we're on the market 5 weeks now and we've had two bidders with all bids under the asking price still and very slow/bidding in €1k increments. There are no other houses in the town at a similar price point with the same credentials other than new builds which are €100k more than our asking price. Finding the whole thing very frustrating but we've never done this before so maybe this is typical.

We have ourselves previously bid on houses in our area and they've all gone sale agreed within a month at least 50-70K above asking price, wondering why ours is so slow/not reaching similar figures. Our house is in excellent condition - as per EA and viewers, is it the market changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Interested to hear others opinions who are currently selling.

Is the house in an estate of A rated houses? I am trying to figure out, in your area, are there other older houses for sale priced cheaper?

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

We've just sold our property (3 bed in Swords), we also were advised to price a little under to get footfall through the door, which did happen. 3 weeks on the market, 3 sets of viewings, had 6 people bidding throughout, bids started at the asking price and we went sale agreed with a cash buyer last week, €42,000 over the asking price.

We also have just had our offer accepted on a 4 bed property last week, just 2 of us bidding and we went €40,000 over the asking. We were bidding against each other in 5k bids.

Hope this helps to give you an idea of how it went for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Currently trying to trade up from 3 bed to 4 bed, in a 'nice' part of Dublin. We were sale agreed on our own house last year, but couldn't secure a new house and the sale fell through.

This time, our own house was on the market for two weeks. 2 busy viewings, 3 serious bidders, and agreed sale 7% over asking - slightly above what we achieved last year.

We have made offers on several houses (850-900k range) and it's very competitive, with multiple parties bidding on each. Plenty of cash buyers around too, so buyers in a 'chain' like us are not preferred, as vendors look for the least risky option. For two properties, we were told not to make an offer, as the vendor only wants a chain-free purchaser.

Hopeful that we will secure something soon, but we're going to have to offer a decent premium above the cash buyers to get there.

Yes the house is in an estate of other 6 year old A rated houses, there is a lovely green in front of the house, full of children playing in the evenings. The only negative feedback we're getting from viewers is that the estate is a good walking distance to local schools and the town (20 mins walk to the town and 18 mins walk to the train to commute to Dublin). There are a small number of older houses in the town for sale in the €350-400k bracket but they are quite dated or smaller.

This is much more along the line of what I would be expecting in our area too but its not happening. I feel like we're being fobbed off by the estate agent that houses over €400K take longer to sell - from what other people have said and us watching the market in our town, that is clearly not the case.

Congratulations on your new house by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

You say there are no other comparable houses on the market at the moment? Can you check the property price register and see what comparable houses (perhaps in the same development) have sold for in recent times?

In my experience (trading up in a large commuter town) - houses which are turnkey and in good areas are selling quickly and usually 5%-10% over asking price. Houses which don't tick these boxes are often languishing on the market for months.

BUT - you need to have more than one strong bidder to generate a bidding war and drive up the price. Sounds like you don't have that yet, but you might just need to be patient/wait it out. You could just be unlucky with your timing.

The walk to schools/transport may be putting some bidders off. Hard to know without knowing the exact location. Are there shops/cafe's etc nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Update on this:

We were outbid on another house. (house #4)

Rock bottom. Our buyers getting antsy.

Two days later the estate agent from the 3rd house we bid on called us to say the buyer pulled out and it was now ours if we wanted it. We did, and we are now sale agreed.

We're happy, our buyer's are happy.

(Turns out, the buyer of house #3, also outbid us on house number #4 and subsequently pulled out of the early transaction.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Do a google search on your estate and see if anything funny comes up, like a crimelord or something :)

When we were looking we would google and also if we saw any unkept houses around the house we were looking at it just put us right off.

I dont think 20 minutes walk to a train or a school would bother people these days at all.

Also anyone with any cop on at all just ignores the BER. We bought a house that was a D2 and had it straight up to a B2 with minimal spend. Could get it up to a B1 withy another couple of thousand, but not really bothered.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Yes similar properties in the estate have gone for €520-570k, well above asking price in the past (within the last year). There are a lot of renters in the estate but its well maintained and quiet. My neighbours are a dream. We'd be staying only we want to move closer to family. No bad publicity online from what I can see, nor have I ever heard of anything negative being said about the estate). Nearest shop/pub/fast food is 10 mins walk away.

I think you might be right about the bad timing or maybe just a bit of bad luck as it seems very unlike the typical response to houses in the area. Seems like a mad idea but we've been recommended by friends to take the house off the market for a few weeks and put it back up at the price we actually want for it/just under - this would be about 35k more than its currently up for (bare in mind we priced it low). Is this riculous? Would it be a red flag to buyers? Any benefit in changing estate agent?

Thanks for this, good to know about the BER. I always thought it'd cost a fortune to improve the rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

That's great work on the BER. Well done. Can I ask what measures you too to achieve? Considering some improvements myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NiamhNaughton

We were outbid twice, and have found a fixer upper house we really want! We viewed it a week and a half ago and lord does it need a lot of work - as in, it needs to be completely gutted. There was one offer on it of the asking price, so over a week ago we put in an offer of 10k over the asking, other bidder isn't bothered putting anymore in and the seller is still sitting on our offer. Pretty stressful!

House officially up for sale today!

does anyone take notice of the views the property gets on daft? We’ve 300 plus and it only went up at 1pm..

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Yeah noticed this also, must be other websites scraping.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Any advice on the bidding process outside of set a limit and stick to it? Any psychological games that can be played against other bidders to signal intent on how serious you are about a property?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

The cost of a mortgage for a buyer on that house is way higher now and likely be higher again by time it closes. So people bidding on other houses in estate have much lower mortgage. A house is worth what people are willing to pay. Hopefully bidding keeps going and you get the price you wanted but you cant simply assume itll be worth more.

Changed 80 light bulbs :)

Put a door across an open wall into a conservatory. Got some solar panels. Upgrade the old boiler that was about to die anyway. Rolled out insulation in the attic. Replaced a couple of windows. House is no warmer than it was before tbh but the BER is better.

• Advertisement

Probably 100 from yourself :)

90% of the interest is in the first 2 weeks. People have notifications set and your property is triggering them. Some of them are just curious, but your buyer is probably in there. Thats what the EA told us anyway and i think it was true. The hits will go up fast and then start tapering off.

Advertisement