Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enterprise refurbishment comes closer?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I live in Drogheda and had a friend visit me from Dublin. She came up on the Enterprise and the first thing she said when she met me was "why is that train so much nicer than anything else on Irish Rail?"

They had their issues in earlier years, specifically around the lack of generators and also parking brake faults, but they seem fairly solid now.

NIR do pretty much all of the maintenance work on them so that could also make it impractical to redeploy them on other services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Another tender, this time for Rail Vehicle Advisory Services (which I would have thought was covered under the other recent tenders);

Again, the documents are available to download without registering, says the contract for new trains is expected to be placed by Q4 2024.

1. DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTRACT BEING PROCURED

1.1 NAME OF CONTRACT AND SUMMARY OF SERVICES/GOODS REQUIRED/SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS This is a call to competition by Iarnród Éireann and Translink for the procurement of Professional Support for “Rail Fleet Advisory Services” (RFAS) to assist with procurement support, technical support, safety approvals, supply & quality assurance and testing & commissioning support of the new rail fleet. (the “Contract”).

The Enterprise Fleet Replacement Project (EFRP) is a joint venture project between Northern Ireland Railways (NIR) and Iarnród Éireann (IÉ). Both companies are responsible for the provision of passenger rail services, including the procurement and maintenance of rolling stock, within Northern Ireland & Republic of Ireland. It is intended to procure a new Enterprise fleet to operate hourly passenger services on the Belfast - Dublin railway. The EFRP team requires Professional Support for “Rail Fleet Advisory Services” (RFAS) to assist with procurement support, technical support, safety approvals, supply & quality assurance and testing & commissioning support of the new rail fleet.

While the train design has not been finalised it is anticipated that it will be initially specified to operate on existing 1.5 kV DC OHLE and have self-powered capability (diesel powerpack and batteries) to facilitate operation on non-electrified sections on the network. Once appropriate infrastructure is in place the train will be reconfigured with diesel traction equipment being removed and dual voltage equipment being installed to allow operation under 1.5kV DC and 25 kV AC OHLE and batteries for non-electrified sections.

The new train will be specified to provide a premium international intercity product with 1st class & standard class accommodation and a high-quality catering on-board.

A Professional Service Provider is required to deliver core services and optional services which may be drawn down as required. The term for Phase 1 core work is estimated to be 2 years with the contract for new trains is expected to be placed by Q4 2024. The term for Phase 2 Option 1 if exercised is estimated to be 6 years over years 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029 & 2030. The term for Phase 2 Option 2 is estimated to be 8 years over years 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029 & 2030.

Phase 1 is the time period from RFAS contract award to train supply contract award. Phase 2 means to the time period from train supply contract award to Fleet Acceptance”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It would be great of they came up with a technically reasonable plan to get enterprise trains from Drogheda to Dublin with a reasonably fast and reliable journey time. Also if they could shorten then endless journey between Newry and Belfast that'd be great. In my view the only real solution is to spend a bit of money and build new Dublin-Drogheda and Newry-Lisburn alignments but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Interesting piece for me it this:

"allow operation under 1.5kV DC and 25 kV AC OHLE and batteries for non-electrified sections"

I'm not an engineer, but I do know that AC traction motors are far more reliable that DC ones. I get the DART fleet uses DC, but the bulk of the DART Fleet is near 40 years old at this point

Would they not just switch entirely to 25 kV AC OHLE?

Secondly.... batteries? Union Pacific, BNSF and others are in the process of testing batteries at the moment on steep grades to recoup braking energy, but apparently, it's not going well. (different application I suppose) I know brightline are using battery/diesel EMU's I think they're having issues too though.

The partial/mixing AC and DC bugs me though, with that kind of messing and bespoke locomotive/train requirements, you'd nearly be better off building a new line into Dublin at 4ft 8½in and leverage off the shelf EU type components such as the Siemens EuroSprinter.

Japan worked out it was cheaper to build new lines to upgrade old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭DoctorPan

If Irish Rail was to swap over wholesale to 25kV AC you've looking at completely scrapping the entire DART fleet, introduce a brand new fleet and commission it. They don't have the capital funding to completely replace the DART network and fleet. They do however to slowly transition into a dual electric fleet into a full 25kV AC fleet over time.

Dual voltage locos are common enough. The TRAXXX family from Alstrom is one current design that fits most of the requirements listed by IÉ/TL.

I did not know that they were dual. Having read about it, it makes sense (Particularly for freight)

The initial phase of this though is 1.5Kv DC and Diesel though with a view to upgrade to 25 Kv AC later.

It still sounds extremely bespoke to me.

Like its 8 locos (Are they going Locos or EMU sets?) to cover roughly 200km of track.

Interestingly, the RFT has ended:

I wonder how many tenders they got?

I looked some more into this:

It looks like the Locos have Dual Pantographs (Two for DC, two for AC?)

That's a Czech Cargo loco that's expected to haul freight across different countries and Voltage types.

Very interesting.

Tender reissued;

Not sure what, if anything, has changed. Still says "The term for Phase 1 core work is estimated to be 2 years with the contract for new trains is expected to be placed by Q4 2024" despite Q4 2024 being less than 2 years away. Tenders to be returned late May so would be doing well to have appoint in June. Seems like a shitshow already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The traction power does not dictate the traction motors. Even on trains with AC traction power there is usually a conversion to DC and back to AC within the locomotive as part of the stepping down to the voltage the AC motors use. For example, Amtrak used to have AEM-7 locomotives, some of which were in factory config (DC motors) and some refurbished with AC motors, under the same AC catenary

• Advertisement

I think the bespoke gauge/loading makes railway development very difficult.

I had a read through the original tender and it's a huge ask for just 8 locos.

I dunno what they're gonna do.

I think the manufacturers want orders from the likes of DB Cargo (250 Locos in the process of being replaced at the moment), very hard to attract someone to tender given our setup/size

Ah yeah I understand that step down/conversion.

AC OHLE -> DC -> AC Motors

But can you go

DC OHLE -> AC Motors

?

or is the power not there?

I'm sure what you say is true may be the reason why they had to reissue the tender.

In Jan 23, they issued the tender saying "Phase 1 core work is estimated to be 2 years with the contract for new trains is expected to be placed by Q4 2024". Even on tender issue day, it was 24 months to even the last day of Q4 2024. Obviously by the time the contract gets award, there will be less than 2 years so they had contradicted themselves already.

Then the tender gets issued again three months later with the same text. Tender return is end of May so by the time contract is awarded, there will likely be 18 months or less to end of Q4 2024. If they can't even set out a logical timeline at the second attempt or update dates to reflect the passing of time, I wouldn't have much faith in the technical aspects of the tender making sense in what is already a very bespoke specification.

Maybe some errors or contradictions were pointed out to them and that is the reason for the new tender. The process so far doesn't fill me with confidence that there will be a successful conclusion here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

You are aware that the link posted isn’t the tender for the rolling stock.. It’s the tender for consultants to advise Irish rail on placing the tender for the contract in 2024.. So based on that, would be 2027 or later before rolling stock hits the rails here..

There is also no mention of a loco and carriage set up, I would imagine what will arrive will be BEMUs, likely add an add or variant of the design IE and Alston are working on and have ordered variants of for the Dart

Yes and it says the first phase work is estimated to take 2 years, then it states an expected date for conclusion of the first phase which is less than 2 years away.

The tender isn’t for consultants to advise Irish rail on placing the tender for the contract in 2024, the train supply contract is to be placed by end of 2024 therefore the tender will have to be isseued well before then. It also clearly states that they expect the work prior to awarding the train supply contract to take 2 years;

The term for Phase 1 core work is estimated to be 2 years with the contract for new trains is expected to be placed by Q4 2024.

Phase 1 is the time period from RFAS contract award to train supply contract award.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elevendroids

Of course you can.

Here, a main diagram of a Siemens Vectron multisystem loco:

In German, but you should get the idea. When running under the DC OHLE, power bypasses the AC transformers and rectifiers, and directly feeds the motor inverters (which supply 3-phase, variable frequency AC to the motors).

As a side note, in Poland we have a bunch of old EN57 EMUs (manufactured between the 60s and the 90s) that got their propulsion upgraded from old-school DC motors (and resistive power control) to asynchronous AC ones (EN57AKM) - running on 3kV DC OHLE, as everything in PL:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭A1ACo

In relation to above 3kv DC brief mention, I’d mentioned in the DART+ forum recently, that the ‘Prorail’ railway national infrastructure provider in the Netherlands had concluded, that upgrading (maybe not ‘removing and replacing’) their extensive, and in parts intensive, 1.5kv DC network, into 3 kv DC system, would be a more competitive and optimum solution for various improvements, than replacement and conversion of their system into 25kv AC. 

The 3k DC over 1.5kv DC improvements Prorail identified were, and would be of potential relevance I think,.. to Irish Rail, and a future Enterprise service (and DART services), if electrified to Drogheda (to 1.5kv DC), would be more scope for, with 3kv DC;

- up 20% energy running cost savings,

- higher speed potential,

- better acceleration.      

Regards small fleets of intercity trains, there were a number of small ETR fleets 20 years ago, for a number of countries, with single, or dual voltages, at 3kv DC and/or 25kv AC in Spain, Italy, Slovakia etc. (different track gauges as well I think i.e. Spain).

In Spain, their rail infrastructure national company, ADIF, has had a recent pilot programme, to upgrade some 3kv substations on a part of their network, to allow for better recapture of regenerative braking energy back into the catenary system.

It might also be of some note, that previous French, and Russian, research had also looked at Medium voltage DC (MVDC) (to 6-11kv etc.) upgrades to 1.5kv DC 3kv DC respectively, to bridge some of the gap to 25kv AC advantages, and also avoid some of the 25kv AC disadvantages).    

Also, I’m not sure Irish Rail’s track gauge/ loading gauge(s) combined uniqueness is particularly ‘unique’,.. as if you look at countries, even within Europe, you’ll see lots of variation in loading gauge, then catenary voltage, and also between the different track gauges combinations e.g. Spain’s, Finland, etc. broad gauges, and voltages and Japan narrow track gauges, etc..

Also, dual/ tri/-quad volt locomotives, and EMUs, have now been around for at least 20 years I’d say, particularly in Europe, for countries with two voltages e.g. France, Spain and Italy, and/ or crossing countries in later years e.g. the Benelux countries.

Small, ‘non-standard’ fleets have been procured before, and still seem to be in both Ireland, and abroad, so while all companies probably love big orders,.. big companies, or small ones, will likely be around to fill small/ ‘bespoke’ orders, as they have done for Irish Rail on most occasions (and often are just a variation on something already on their previous order books).

Anyway, even acquiring a variation on existing Irish Rail fleets, would seem to give lots of scope for a new any new Enterprise fleet, such as (in no particular order);

1.     More CAF Mark IV carriages (existing IE’s 160kph running, but 200kph capable) with existing 201 Class, or 201 upgraded to a Stadler Euro/Class 67/68/88/ Euro Dual II /Euro Light/ UKLight/AsiaLight, or Eurodual electric loco’ with diesel/ new Eurodual loco’s (various Eurodual combinations exist) (notwithstanding previous tender for 201 modernisation and re-engine apparently came back with one, very expensive response?).  

2.     22000/ICR (160kph existing) variation from Hyundai Rotem, with further variation from their Tokyu Car bogies.

3.     8500 series Tokyu Car (Now Japan East Engineering Company ‘J-TREC’) 'higher speed' variation, with further variation of the Tokyu Car bogies used for the later 22000 ICRs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The spec is quite clear

Needs to be hybrid at least for a period of time, it will need a diesel engine

1500v +25k AC operation

110mph

200m long

So basically you are looking at a variant of the UK IEP with 1500V support, IEP already playing with a battery in place of an engine https://railway-news.com/hitachi-and-eversholt-rail-to-develop-gwr-intercity-battery-hybrid-train/

Rules out the ICR platform without a massive rebuild

None of the dual platform locomotive will fit within the axle limits

• Advertisement

That's kind of what I took from it too.

There's just to much equipment for one Locomotive.

I'd imagine locomotive sets would be out of the question for this too.

IE Co'Co'+Co'Co' or 3×Bo'Bo', they use these type of loco sets for Ore in other parts of the world, but is it overkill?

All the dual modes I've seen, I've stood in the cab of the Stadler Euro Dual, Bombardier Traxx and Siemens Vectron. Even within a UIC gauge body its really really right through the engine room. All Bo Bo, all over the IE axle limits and typically won't be much good over 160kph. These are really targeting last mile freight not passenger ops (Each coach will need ~30kW hotel power)

IE was looking at a RailJet style Viaggio/Venture coaches, would be ideal if we had end to end electrification but given requirements we are looking at something like this which is really really like the UK Class 80x

8 ~24m coaches

1/8 end cars + 600hp underfloor diesel engine +1500V DC pantograph

2/7 600hp underfloor diesel engine

3/6 600hp underfloor diesel engine

4 battery

5 battery replaceable with a 25kV transformer AC-DC link + pantograph

That would give about 2.2MW on Diesel (before you lean on the batteries for a boost), over 3MW on DC and probably 5MW on 25KV.

Verdict is simple, just electrify and don't bother with an insanely complicated bodge of a train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the correct verdect, so it won't happen.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Hodge Bodge and Ireland go hand in hand unfortunately, look at nearly everything we've built in the last 20 years and you'll see some degree of corner cutting, in many cases serious corner cutting.

A new rather cryptic notice on etenders relating to Enterprise fleet replacement:

This seems to relate to the actual tender for the new fleet as the estimated value is €480m. Not sure what a Periodic indicative Notice is, a PIN used to be a Prior Information Notice which was to notify potential tenderers in advance of issuing a large tender.

Thanks for the info above! – It seems strange that in the last 20+ years, that there has been no change from the Diesel locomotive CoCo 160kph/ 100mph threshold (e.g. IE’s 201 slightly over that), and UKs Class 67 & Spanish 334's speed above that, but only in BoBo, to 200kph/125mph.  

Even the now seemingly popular, Stadler EuroDuals various versions, and Dual modes, also have max speeds to CoCo/ BoBo configurations that hit..these buffers!

By-the-by, this month's ‘Today’s Railways - Europe’ has two long articles on Irish Rail's 201 Class.

The magazine issue also includes news of a good few (smallish size) orders of EuroDuals e.g. BoBo, Eurolight Dual, bi-mode for Trenitalia – but… 20 tonnes axle load, for 160kph/100mph operation, and using 3000V DC - and Diesel.

(Unfortunately, nothing in the different orders seems to meets all the Enterprise various tender requirements/ operating parameters).

The Enterprise tender 110mph/176kph max speed reequirement, besides the hybrid operation, would seem an unusual choice - in that it looks like it would preclude a lot of rail products in general, that would only meet the usual 100mph/160kph standard.

Would this lock IE into a small trainset fleet, for years, that would not represent a much (speed) improvement on the just over 100mph max speed of the 201 Class?

– and may – for the entirety of the consist – not have commonality with the rest of IEs fleets (currently, the 201s locomotive are common to IE fleet/network).

Which still brings me back around to the idea, that just:

- upgrading the 201s,.. maybe with two engines (and maybe loosing some of the traction motors, to make them like BoBo, but with trailers… CoCos with unpowered axles)???

…Or a new locomotive CoCo diesel at circa 100mph.

- And the rest of the train consist/ carriages to be to be - an electric, electric/diesel version of an existing IE fleet or,..

...something new, and much faster potential, and potential future use across the network new fleets  

(whichever, to be light on batteries, and heavy on diesel... given the longer distances to Belfast to be crossed), but to be later hived off - for use on its own without the locomotive, and up to its full speed potential, when the electric lines are up…

… That approach mid-term, might be preferrable to, in c.2027 buying into potentially complicated, combined sets, 110mph limit only - potentially for years,.. and weighted with 25kv AC equipment ready,.. but maybe only fitted at mid-life, c.2040 to actually operate to 25kv AC, and with a lot of heavy(?) batteries until then.   

• Advertisement

I was pleasantly surprised though… when I was looking at the various modern, 3KV DC, and 3kv/1.5kv/ multi-electric mode EMUs, and Locomotives produced in recent years, that the following trains exist - that could be close to meeting the Enterprise tender requirements,

(and besides the UK IEP, Hitachi 80x) may well have also been on some minds:

1.     Talgo/ Bombardier, RENFE Spanish Class 730 (follow-on from Class 130) Iberian (broad)/dual gauge, Dual-voltage (3kv DC & 25kv AC), dual-mode and hybrid (electric and diesel), max axle load c.18t, 183m long, and noting – Passive Tilting - 160mph/250kph in electric, &.. for the S-130 at least, Diesel hybrid mode operation up to 112mph/ 180kph.

2.     Newag, Polish Impuls & Impuls II Models, Bi-mode electric and diesel (3kv DC & diesel), standard gauge, though 3-car only, 100mph/160kph in electric, Diesel hybrid mode 75mph/120kph.  

Also, just in terms of any redesign etc. - of Irish Rail’s existing ICR, Hyundai Rotem diesel, 100mph/160kph Diesel (DMU) (already with battery hybrid fleet trials), for an electric & hybrid etc. version - note that there is also the seemingly similar;

-       Hyundai Rotem, Ukraine HRCS2 Class, Russian (broad) gauge, Dual-voltage (3kv DC & 25kv AC) EMU, to 110mph/ 176kph, from 2011 (just after IE’s ICR production run). 

Any word on the Enterprise replacement tender response?

(I'm aware that there is a similar thread that is more recent and related, but i dont think i saw anything there about any tender response either -

Further to that, have the possible contender mooted here previously - Hitachi IEP UK - Class 800s problems all been sorted, e.g. some cracks in bogies, and poor carpets and seats, or is that mostly old news and/ or online still moaning?!

Any other contenders raising their head e.g. some of the possibilities mentioned above, or other hybrids/ dual-modes floating around Europe or Japan, etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

one approach could be to acquire something like the Siemens ALC-42E - diesel at the front, battery/panto car behind, then coaches. After all, Enterprise already operates with an EGV so two non rev cars are already part of the service pattern.

Once Belfast-Dublin is end to end electric, you can move the loco/battery trainsets to other partial electric routes and go straight electric for Enterprise (actual MUs or electric locos either end, there are pros and cons)

The impediment to that of course is if the Enterprise co-ownership of the rolling stock model is followed. Ideally the equipment would be leased, with amendment options in the lease to allow IE take full lease responsibility and/or buyout for all the sets for agreed amounts after say 3/6/9 years in the event that they were superceded by EMUs and operating to Sligo or Galway or whatever

Further to above ALC-42E comment, it would seem that bi-mode, and tri-mode trains fall under two categories - first either multiple units (MU) with under-carriage (&/or roof mounted) alternate power sources or second; multiple units (MU) with special middle carriage power-packs, or locomotives, with special trailers for the alternate power packs.

The first, presumably under-carriage positioned power packs, multiple units (MU) approach would seem to include the Hitachi A-train/ Class 802, & Italian Blues Commuter, CAF Civity bi-mode & tri-mode (Tri-mode for UK’s LNER), etc.

The second approach of special trailers, or middle carriage power-packs, seem to include the above mentioned dual-modes Siemens ALC-42E (big Diesel + battery, or panto’), and Talgo 250/Class 730, and the other variation in Stadler UK 756.

One potential problem with ‘swapping out’ and removing MU diesel engines in the future, especially with multiple, relatively small diesel engines per Multi-mode train sets e.g. under-carriage e.g. 3 & 5 engines in Class 802’s 5-car & 9-car sets - is what do you do with so many engines afterwards?

Do you just scrap them? Or fit them to another train…(though it may be simpler just to move on the entire MU trains to another line in more need of a hybrid option).

Then again, maybe Irish Rail might think that it will take so long to electrify the remainder Belfast line, to 25kV, especially on the NIR side, that any proposed MU diesel engines might by then be relatively old, so scrapping them may not be such a loss?

I have only just seen this morning on another board, more discussion about possible future new Enterprise trains, and mention of a possible relaunched tender?

Cross-border review of rail network officially launched - Page 37 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

• Advertisement

For any alternate medium term solution for Irish Rail - of a refurbed 201, or new loco’-based option - for Enterprise improvements (and Cork-Dublin?) – below list might be helpful for comparisons:

UK Class 67/ RENFE 333.1/334/Stadler 3000/4000/Eurolight/EuroDual UK 68,

&

UK Class 88 (Dual-mode 25kV AC & 940HP Diesel (similar to IR previous initial 121/141 Class power in Diesel mode))

&

UK Class 93 (Tri-mode (25kV AC,& 540HP battery & 1,200HP Diesel (similar to IR previous 181 Class & later 121/141 Class power in Diesel mode)) BoBo, and -German/Swiss Class 159/ELP, CoCo)

&

Stadler SALi (Spain 257 & Bolivia, CoCo)

– all above related to each other in lineage at least–

It should be possible I would have thought, for a new for IR loco’ of 180kph/112mph (or is it 110mph/176kph!), but ALSO to IRs 18.6t Axle Limit (probably needing a CoCo, or even A1A A1A arrangement)...

- and with whatever with trainset arrangement ..and maybe 1.5kV DC thrown in somewhere! –

Would the Euro9000 or SALi combination do it, but still the within IR’s axle weight, and required speed?...

Regards weight & arrangement - CoCos for electric locomotives are nothing new - there have been some 1.5kV DC locos’ in the past in Europe & Japan of CoCo and ‘Bo-Bo-Bo’ design e.g. French CC 7100, CC 6500 & Japan EF66/81/200s/500s).

For Dual-Modes in USA Comparison:

1. Siemens Dual-mode ALC-42E (big Diesel + battery car (instead of 3rd rail),

& alternate -

big Diesel + a panto’ car (& transformer to supply electricity to the locomotive, and to additional motors in its own ‘supplemental’ powered truck – presumably for US 12kV AC and 25kV AC) (to replace GE’s P32AC-DM)

In both above cases the special trailer ‘car’ is a normal carriage (other than, the end quarter for electric motive power, with the other three-quarter end for passengers). The battery pack version is for New York city tunnels & station, to assist in acceleration, and ‘charges in motion’.

2) EMD’s Dual-mode DM30AC (1 x 3,000HP Diesel engine, + 3rd rail 750V DC).

3) Bombardier/ Alstom Dual-mode ALP-45DP (2 x 2,100HP Diesel engines either side of + 25kV (or 12kV) transformer in the middle of the loco’ (each of 2 x Diesels, a bit less in power than 1 x IRs previous 071 Class), see also TRAXX DM/DM Light).

4) GE’s Dual-mode P32AC-DM (II).

All four above USA loco’ types notably heavier than Irish Rail’s 201 Class, & all Bo-Bo.

Could the following be a better interim fix?... an IR 201 Class replacing its 1x 3,200HP diesel with:- 2 x 1,200HP Diesels (2,400HP combined, like old 071 total HP), PLUS with 1.5kV equipment added, PLUS 2 x c.483HP (c.966HP combined), or 3 x 483HP (1,449HP combined), Diesel-Battery hybrids in… 2, or 3 bogies replacing existing bogies in the Control cars and/or Generator vans (same trial bogies in 22000 Class DMUs).

(the 2, or 3 x powered bogies combined HP would be like IR's initial 121/141 Class, or a bit more than IR 181 Class & later 121/141, in HP totals).

Total Diesel HP, between re-engined 201 & above powered carriage bogies would be; 3,366Hp or 3,839HP, & the 1.5kV HP would be?

This might keep weight, cost and speed in acceptable limits, but combinations technically possible?

The 201 body shell could also possibly be replaced for lighter, and bogies altered for more flexible wheel alignment (reduce CoCo wheel scraping on curves).

Could similar could be later interim used in Cork-Dublin, and other 201s, and even 071s freight loco's?.

Interesting that in both Germany and Denmark (Germany with extensive inter-city MU experience), that it has been opted for more recently to buy Talgo (tilting) loco & carriage sets instead, for long-distance services, with in Germany the Siemens Vectron loco & Viaggio carriages sets seemingly lost out to Talgo in a circa 2019 tender.

See Talgo’s list of countries with its 230 class below. Perhaps Dublin-Belfast’s route is not long enough to justify similar approach?

Galería - ICE L - corporate - talgo.com

I’m not sure anyway that a Hitachi 80x type is a definite shoe-in for Enterprise…

We shouldn’t be too surprised maybe, if Alstom comes in with some variation of their already upcoming Irish Rails’ X-Trapolis (now Adessia?) Battery/ electric, but with Diesel thrown in - in some Coradia Continental/ Regiolis (& earlier AGC Bombardier) iteration.

As above, CAF could come in with their UK Tri-mode for LNER,.. (similar maybe to the EMU’s with ‘battery- technology’ for Spain’s RENFE also announced last year?), or could come in with Alstom for a joint tender?

For example, there seems to be some inter-play and similarities between Alstom’s X’trapolis Modular, and separate X’Trapolis (Tsíimin K'áak) Mayan Train route project (includes for 700km electrification, 44% of route) ‘Tren Maya Hybrid’ train (diesel with electric 25kV, or actually separate trains, can’t find the answer) - and CAF’s Civia.

These connections it seems, in competition tenders, and in both internal, and external designs, and potentially previously in manufacturing e.g. Civia for RENFE, and the Civia closely leading to the Civity – that is the Tri-mode for LNER.

It looks like CAF and Alstom may also have had some previous manufacturing co-operation with the dual-voltage RENFE Class 120/121 in the past, and I’m sure there are other examples of manufacturing tie-ins.

Otherwise, I’m not sure you could discount other previous suppliers (besides CAF and Alstom) of other Irish Rail fleets trying to get back in - possibly even in co-operation with eachother, or with say Hitachi, or CAF or Alstom.

There could be many opportunities for a Frankenstein, Tri-mode train for Irish Rail’s/ NIR’s future Enterprise service!

I hope though, that politics does not come into it re: manufacturers base. IR in the past has seemed pretty good at getting what is best for IR, whatever the manufacturer source e.g. it wasn’t restricted to going with European domestic companies like other national rail companies might have had to. IR has been free (rightly) to buy Canadian/ American, Japanese, Korean in the past – well before most other European countries were.

I wouldn't even mind getting Polish EMUs - like Newag 36WEh (electric/diesel hybrid, 160km/h on electric, 120km/h on diesel, each EMU of max 6 carriages, max three EMUs in a set, local or long-distance variants):

As different overhead voltage (3kV DC) shouldn't be an issue (NEWAG does multi-system locos already), European vs Irish loading gauge would probably be the biggest obstacle here…

(And yes, I'm aware of their last year's DRM-in-trains drama 😁)

There are actually multiple interesting (and flexible) European designs around (e.g. from Stadler).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭TranslatorPS

In before the "but the 36EWh is a regional build" argument surfaces, I should note that Newag signed a contract for 35 HMUs for PKP Intercity, which are going to be built to intercity spec – 5 seating cars plus a diesel powerpack car (compare to Stadler's solutions) to carry 178 pax (154 in second and 20 in first class, plus four seats for disabled pax and eight bicycle spaces), one pair of double-leafed dours per car per side. All in all, if that's a solution that NIR or IÉ would want to go with, there's now more than just Stadler or CAF to provide.

I also don't really understand the whole HEP problem and the need to use generator cars - that seems like a problem solved long time ago in continental Europe - mostly for interoperability reasons.

I'm also not sure what went wrong with Class 201 as passenger diesels in Europe don't seem to have issues supplying HEP to the carriages even during a proper -20C winter or during a +30C summer… The power requirements are basically the same as IE ones - 30-40kW per car.

All carriages compliant with RIC regulations have to support four types of heating power supply: 1kV 16 2/3Hz AC, 1.5kV 50Hz AC, 1.5kV DC and 3kV DC. This allows them to be supplied directly from the catenary (via the loco) - either directly (DC) or via a traction transformer tap (AC). Diesel passenger locs (since at least 1960s) have a separate 400 - 500kW generator (AC or DC, depending on the country, but providing one of the standard voltages anyway) just for that purpose. That powers the heating directly (resistive heaters switched in series or in parallel - automatically) and, nowadays, it also powers all of the "hotel" needs (aircon, seating sockets, displays etc.) via inverters in each carriage. That simplifies the locomotive-side of things, provides interoperability (e.g. German carriages can operate in Poland, France, Italy etc.), higher voltages need lighter and thinner cables (in contrast to 3 phase 230V).

If still considering loco-hauled trains, IÉ should consider using at least part of the RIC standard (e.g. 1.5kV 50Hz AC and 1.5kV DC) for HEP - that would allow the carriages to be directly powered from the catenary when running in DART areas (DC) or on an electrified main-line (AC stepped down by traction transformer in the loco) or supplied by a 1.5kV DC generator on a diesel locomotive. This should be also cheaper to build as all of the equipment required already exists.

The HEP issue is a kick on from the unusually low max Axle Load on the network

I believe the max load is around 18T per axle (which is quite low). I think the 201 comes in at 17.8 per axle. It uses and alternator off the main engine to generate power for the cars. This system "works", but not well enough.

Germany solved this by adding a standalone 400 kW generator for HEP to the loco. Even 4 Axle locos like the older 218 class had these generators and had a per axle load of around 20T.

If you added this (add all its supporting kit) to the 201 class, it would be over the Max Axle load. You could install a standalone HEP motor but that would probably mean a smaller main engine (prime mover), which means sacrificing power.

There is only so much equipment that you can fit onboard a loco, this is one of the reasons I think the Battery, OHLE, Diesel Hybrid idea will not work.

8 Axle Locos have been done (Class 40, UPDDA40x) but they are extremely niche

Post edited by Beta Ray Bill on

• Advertisement

Ireland has always used a dual 3 phase 380V for air conditioned trains, its vastly superior as it eliminates the need for a motor alternator or static converter on each coach. The UK HST uses the same system. We do not use US style HEP which is a 480V system

With modern power electronics you can easily generate 3 phase 380v, whereas the 201 class needs to run the engine at 900rpm to deliver a constant 50Hz as its a low tech alternator solution. You could simply rectify the output of the HEP alternator into a DC-AC inverter and this would decouple the RPM from the issue entirely, but that tech wasn't mature enough in 1994

The HEP issue is a kick on from the unusually low max Axle Load on the network

I believe the max load is around 18T per axle (which is quite low). I think the 201 comes in at 17.8 per axle. It uses and alternator off the main engine to generate power for the cars. This system "works", but not well enough.

Is the low max axle load limit a historical thing due to much lighter freight traffic (when compared to European railways)? Or lower cost? (Or both?)

Germany solved this by adding a standalone 400 kW generator for HEP to the loco. Even 4 Axle locos like the older 218 class had these generators and had a per axle load of around 20T.

20T is very common axle load for most European countries - e.g. according to the official list from PLK (Polish railway infrastructure manager) most main lines have an axle load limit of 221kN (~22.5t), some local and branch lines get as low as 177kN (~18t).

(I can't post links yet - google for "pkp plk network statement" for the documents in English with all the data)

Ireland has always used a dual 3 phase 380V for air conditioned trains, its vastly superior as it eliminates the need for a motor alternator or static converter on each coach. The UK HST uses the same system. We do not use US style HEP which is a 480V system

It's definitely cheaper (on the other hand you might end up having to tow an extra diesel generator 🙃 ).

That's also possible due to Ireland (and UK, US) being effectively isolated systems, without international passenger trains (no need to be compatible with foreign rolling stock).

I'm struggling to think of any modern diesel locos (not dmu) that uses HEP for AC coaches.

I just don't think it's a thing anymore. It's all overhead lines now. Maybe in the US but their locos are massive in comparison to EU locos.

Do the class 43 trains run with a loco each end?

Open to correction on this but I believe it's the type of Rail we have sitting on the sleeper as opposed to bridges and track bed etc.

This potentially could be an issue when it comes to battery hybrid trains. Probably cheaper to just electrify the entire/most of the line instead having a very bespoke hybrid design. Batteries are heavy.

And for freight just double head if it's a heavy train.

Most operators moved to DMUs to run on the non-electrified lines (where the electrification is not deemed economical) which are lighter and cheaper compared to loco-hauled trains, or they use the already existing older diesel locos.

Polish PKP Intercity bought in 2015 a couple (five I think?) of new SU160 class locomotives (diesel version of Pesa Gama, 111Db, 160km/h, 2400kW, HEP 3kV DC) - mostly due to dwindling stock of old diesel passenger classes (SU45/SU46) that are needed to haul the few Intercity trains on non-electrified lines (HEP is required for heating and aircon). They are of rather terrible reliability so far which forced Intercity into e.g. continued use of loaned Czech Class 753 (from 1970s, 100km/h) for some trains.

In 2022 they've ordered another 11 Pesa Gama locos, this time in hybrid diesel/electric (3kV DC OHLE) variant (111DE, 2800kW on DC and 160km/h max, 1560kW on diesel and 120km/h max., HEP power is provided in both modes) - these are currently being tested. Time will tell whether they're going to be more reliable than their predecessors 🙃

But even those are probably going to be replaced with some kind of hybrid BEMUs or DEMUs at some point…

Diesel locos are still going strong in freight trains (some private operators prefer them as they can do the last mile shunting, run on some industrial, non-electrified branch lines) - but there's more and more dual-mode freight locos with built in small "last mile" diesels (~500kW) for shunting duties (Alstom Traxx, Siemens Vectron, Pesa and Newag also do these).

Getting back to Irish railways 😉

I think that going for new loco-hauled passenger trains doesn't really make sense anymore - unless IÉ would have a large stock of modern(-ish) passenger carriages to e.g. upgrade and reuse.

But otherwise, a modern *MU is going to be much better for intercity services like Enterprise (ordered in a proper medium/long-distance config of course).

And I personally would love to see something like Stadler Kiss e.g. on the Cork line 😉 (few years back I traveled on board the one operated by Westbahn between Vienna and Salzburg - very nice and comfy @200km/h).

Its always nice to get some more international comparisons, as a lot of the international railway equipment we might be be familiar with tend to be UK based first, or some of the larger and closer country more usual suspects like France, Germany or even the US.

As for the Enterprise replacement trains tender it does, as various posters above have opined, appear difficult to really tick all the boxes for '…the Battery, OHLE, Diesel Hybrid idea….' and at a 'higher speed' category, AND high-end/ Cross-border/Flag-ship quality, all in one vehicle, whether in a single locomotive, or equipment placed under/over carriages in MU train sets.

Compartmentalising the 3 modes, in 1 or 2 modes per vehicle, seems a better approach, either in within portions of cars, or special cars in MU train sets - or alternatively between locomotives and trailers, or maybe a combination of the two approaches, that can be later split off and re-used easily elsewhere, and better than lots of under-floor diesel engines, with 3 modes equipment all under/over passenger cars.

However, if a fleet of multi-diesel engines under passenger cars MU trains are procured for Enterprise, hopefully these swappable/ 'disposable' diesel engines are of the diesel-battery hybrid types to be employed on the 22000 Class existing trials, so that by the time they are taken off the Enterprise trains, they can be put on whatever Irish Rail DMUs fleets are left to be upgraded (if not already upgraded, or replaced in 2040ish!).

Post edited by A1ACo on

Advertisement