Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Seriously?? Such terms are widely used in independent media, online etc. given this chaps activities in government. You kinda confirm my impression of Blueshirts being very prickly and unable to ship any legitimate criticism of their government record. You can see that every day in the Dail where they often refuse to answer simple questions put to them by the opposition about various matters. The treatment of whistleblowers by same is indicative of a cabal too long in government. Anyhow I promise to refer to Leo as "Our Dear Leader" from now on so as not to upset any of the snowflakes here🙀

PS: Can i expect a similar lecture from you when I and others here refer to Eamon Ryan as a "Cabbage Head" ??🤐

Post edited by Birdnuts on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

I'm afraid you are falling for propaganda and lies.

Notable examples of totalitarian states include Italy under Benito Mussolini (1922–43), the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin (1924–53), Nazi Germany under Adolf Hitler (1933–45), the People's Republic of China under the influence of Mao Zedong (1949–76), and North Korea under the Kim dynasty (1948– ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I can assure you I’m no supporter of Fine Gael, I’m just making the point that you’re already losing the argument when you have to resort to childs-play like name calling.

And yes I’m would say the same to anyone using “Cabbage Head” for Eamon Ryan if arguing a point too.

I also said the same to someone using “Putrid” on here before as well.

Call me biased or whatever you like but I like to think that as farmers we’re a bit more respectful and mature when debating things like the government as unlike a lot of people voting we actually have something to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We are the 15 longest democracy in the world. We survived the 20's and 30's and did not slide into a totalitarian state then.

For all your dismissal them FG and FF have observed the rules of democracy. In 1932 the Cumann na nGaedheal handed over power peacefully even though one of there TD's was shot during the election ( many political parties would have used less of an excuse to hold onto power back then).

You might not like that we have had a two and a half party state of the first 80-90 years of our existence and that these parties which are centrist controlled the state, but remember they were elected

'' by the people for the people off the people''.

I am not sure what you mean by the independent media. I have never seen a serious publication refer to the Taoiseach as Leo the Leak or to the present government as FFG. You may find that a few independent contributors referring to them as that but in generally the mainstream media refer to them but there proper initials.

Government's generally accross the world avoid loaded questions by the opposition. SF and the Left parties will do the same when and if they get into government. Government task is to govern. It's something many conveniently forget.

I do not think that I ever referred to ER as cabbage head. I have referred to SF as the Shinnors, however it generally on another forum in reply to a general disparaging post that use offencivies terms for the government.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

Listening to Marie Donnelly on country wide, it would appear that the citizen assembly have only one solution to climate change, plant trees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The one thing that's consistent from all political announcements, reports, social media "activists", etc. is that someone else (usually farmers) should do something so everyone else can carry on their ultra-consumer lifestyle.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

In the EU and the US if you really look into it. It's buttering up/paving the way for public sentiment to accept investment funds/well known corporations purchasing farmland for profit from wildlife initiatives, carbon capture. Atm they're trying to set up conditions that allow return on investment.

I see in the US a thing was made by an investment firm of buying "degraded" cropland for the purpose of applying biochar. Their spiel was local farmers would be looked after. All that means is a local contractor will be employed to do the work. But you know corporate bullcrap talk. In the meantime you've John Kempf a high profile agronamist in the US decrying he hasn't seen any crop production benefits from the k's of acres that received biochar out there. Quite simply it's done wrong. But for the lazy so and so's who won't keep livestock and just apply biochar in a limespreader they're getting paid now by funds to do so with no thought of soil health or productivity. Suits and no brains.

The Blueshirts sent a load of loopers to Spain to fight for Franco in the 30's - so we came dam close. As for media, you must be living a seriously sheltered life if you think the opposition get a fair hearing in the mainstream media such as Indo newspapers or RTE. None of them have covered the many scandals involving Government TDs in term of the planning process or failing to follow members interests rules that have been exposed by independent journalists like the lads behind The Ditch , The Village in the past few years. Even stories that do get out like the Nursing Home Fees scandal were broke initially by smaller independent media. The treatment of whistleblowers that exposed serious wrong doing within the AGS, Health Service, ESB etc. all point to a similar culture. Your reference to "loaded questions" in terms of the opposition holding the government to account point to your own poltical bias.

You seriously believe farmers are the only ones affected by government decisions/policies??? fraid your posts here suggest someone seriously out of touch with the realities for many folks in this country🙄

If you take the time to read posts properly before replying to them and going on a rant you’ll realise I never said farmers are the only ones affected.

I said “unlike a lot of people voting…” And that I fully stand over and anyone that reads it and understands it will agree. There are a lot of voters in this country that have nothing to lose as everything they have was handed to them, not worked for.

These are the people Sinn Fein, PBP etc. target for votes because as long as you can convince them you will give them more than they’re already getting you will buy their vote.

If you think Sinn Fein would be a good governing party for farmers, business owners, multinationals who pay their taxes here, you average tax payer, or even the country in general then the “nuts” part of your name is certainly true.

Although in a funny way it’s people like you that would strongly have me considering voting for Sinn Fein in the next election. It’s probably inevitable they will get into power at some stage in the future so maybe we should take short term pain for long term gain and get them into government as quick as possible. That way when all the gullible people that wanted them in power realise that the magic money tree doesn’t exist and they still can’t get all they were promised, Sinn Fein would be out of government again and probably be forgotten about for a generation or 2.

They can go back to what they’re good at then and shout from the sidelines.

• Advertisement

I was going to say imagine what FF and FG would be like slinging mud from the sidelines, but I don't think they'll be on the sidelines after the next General Election.

I'd be guessing FF, FG, RTE, the Irish Times, Indo, Newstalk, etc. will go all out to blacken SF and frighten any floating voters off them. FF and FG will probably then get 60-ish seats, maybe 65 if the wind is with them. They'll cobble together another 20 from Independents and whatever is left of the Greens and Labour and form a Government. How steady that will be, or how long it lasts is another question.

The only way SF could get into Government is if FF join them in a coalition. But for that to happen, FF would have to say they were wrong about SF for the last 20 years, or SF have changed, etc. And I just can't see that happening.

But to be honest, none of it really matters. Between the civil service, industry lobbyists for builders and finance, the unions, international bond markets, EU and American interest rates, etc. it doesn't really matter who is briefly in the Minister's office smiling for photos and talking in cliches on the Claire Byrne Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I hope they leave the greens out on principle. but then politicians havenever been known for having that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

You can go into partnership with a minimum ratio of 20:80 So 20% of farm gets higher taxes while 80% gets standard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

We have a huge lawn here, an hour and 40 mins every week on the ride in, and I can't get to it every week. It's fragmented so a robot will only do the biggest one. I'm beside the parents so thays part of it.

It's either a bigger ride on, which would be a beast of yoke, I have a 17 hp husky.

Or a conditioner mower for the back of the ferguson 20 for about 2k? Would it give a good finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

@emaherx may help cause I think he runs a pto grass type mower behind his MF135.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Could do with a bit of a drought at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

A conditioner mower won’t leave a lawn finish. Plenty of robotic mowers on market now. They have come down allot in price and you can programme them to come do it as often as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

What size is your current ride on ? Even going from a 36" to a 42" will speed things up a good bit. I've a 6' major rollermower behind a 35x, maybe a 4'6 yoke for a Fergie 20.

Might pay some people better to get elected 😂

• Advertisement

The McCreevy Giveaway budgets ahead of elections in the early noughties set us up for the massive crash a few years later, all cheered on by the establishment parties including PDs etc. - the current government is planning something very similar ahead of elections next year so plus ca change as the French would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

It's a 42 inch deck. Ita fragmented into 7 different parts. on the roadside, with two entrances it breaks that part into 3.

3 parts inside broken up by the same short roadways, a small lawn at the side of the parents house, and small lawn at rear of my house.

1 roadway is farm and the other os domestic. Both are 804 and one is on a decent slope.

Wouldn't like to leave a robot going outside the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

This is my solution, if I was buying again I wouldn't bother with the large pneumatic wheels though, they really stick out the back and it reduces how far back I can reverse up to a corner.

This was the old one, was much smaller, but better in tidying up corners. I still have the grass collector, just had to put a longer drawbar on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

People always blame McCreevy for the 2008 crash. They forget he was gone to Europe in November 2004. The damage was done from then until 2008 itself.

The reason McCreevy gets the blame is because he was more into monetary fiscal policy than Cowan. There was a clash in late 2004 between McCreevy and others within FF. McCreevy knew the SSIA's would come into play in 2006 and boost the economy before the 2007 election. However FF was slipping in the polls but there was plenty of tax money coming in. Bertie wanted to spend it and run a deficit, McCreevy ( from what I heard and understand) wanted to tighten fiscal policy and run a surplus.

Bertie was Taoiseach and moved him on and replaced him with Cowan who bought in the inflationary budgets of 2005-2008 this was where the real damage was done not from the budgets during the early noughties.

Many blame McCreevy because he was against public service expansion, putting additional services in place and writing more blank cheques to the public service unions.

It was Bertie and Brian let it rip.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

"Dandelions growing on headlands, showing their unloved hearts to everyone." Kavanagh

The lawn gets cut here when the dandelions have gone to seed to give the bees a chance to feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

plus 1...that was my reading of it. Mc Creevy was very clued in and a great Finance Minister. He had 25 billion in the savings account when he left and national debt of 60 odd billion.

Post edited by kk.man on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

I don’t think people blamed McCreevy. I though most people put the blame squarely on Bertie and Cowan??

Exactly. Probably about 2/3rds Bertie and 1/3 Cowen is where the blame is generally put. Very rare to hear any other names mentioned.

• Advertisement

I'm no fan of McCreevy but what didn't help him was the fact he came across as likeable and media-friendly. He was always good for a one-liner or soundbite. This meant he was upstaging Bertie, who fancied himself as a media darling, and so gave "the most cunning one" another reason to exile him to Brussels.

Cowan was the opposite to McCreevy (in lots of ways) and was never going to be a threat to Bertie in that regard. That's why he got the gig as much as any other supposed ability.

Advertisement