Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Cable beside doorstep

Options
  • 12-03-2023 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Going to look into getting the doorsteps installed soon. There has been something that has been on my mind about this all the time and that is about the telephone cable that entered the house just beside door, where I'll be putting the steps.

To the left of the temporary steps you can see the black cable exiting the grey piping used to carry it.

The steps are probably going to be semi circular and will in all likelihood extend way or beyond where the cable entry point is located.

It would not work to less a minimal step that forces people to walk out straight from the door as the natural path for people would be to go out the door and turn right (past the cable).

So, what do I do here? Do I need to put a recessed manhole into the step to provide access in the event that some thing goes wrong and cable needs altered?

Thoughts and help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

How does it enter the house from that point. Is that duct going into the house or back to a pole or manhole

• Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you cover it up and put in a finished step and there is a problem you will have to dig up your finished step.

A small access with a black PVC lid could be built in when installing the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yes, that is what I'm thinking - a recessed manhole built into the step.

I'll have a dig around it when the weather improves to see what it's really like.

Also - why are virtually all granite tiles for steps bull nosed? I'd prefer to have flush face, but everything I've looked at has the bull nose.

20mm Conduit. The gray piping is used as trunking for the cable from the telegraph pile to the property. See photos:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭chooseusername

If it's fibre optic be careful not to kink it.

Don't think it is. Should I be putting an access manhole into the step for future access to this?

What is the smallest recessed manhole/drain cover that I can get for this? They see to be quite expensive (over €100) and min std size seems to be 300mm internal - with 340mm external.

That greatly limits the options I have for steps. Can I get them easily in the A15 or B125 class? Or would this have to be a bespoke/custom item?

I would think that 150x150 or up to 200x200 would be all that would be required here.

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Why do you need access. Hard to see from photos but I would be trying to connect those two conduits together so there is a straight run through and if ever cable replacement is needed it could be done easily. Are you over thinking this.

To be fair to you, I hadn't really considered that option. I was always of the opinion that if you have to joint mismatched sizes, especially where you can't put an appropriate coupler that it would be better to have access.

I'll need to check the other side of the conduit in the house, but if it difficult to get at with a fish wire then I might stick with the recessed cover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement