Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Conway made a great call going to Munster, why is this controversial all of a sudden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

People are trying to paint Conway going to Munster as a failure. That way they can say look at Conway and Carbery who left Leinster and gave up their career.

In reality both players had serious injury issues that curtailed their career somewhat. The same could happen to anyone in any province.

Going to Munster didn't wreck their career.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Conway didn't get his first cap until 3 years into his Munster career, so there's no reality in which a move to Munster wrecked his career. In this one reality, the move made his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Conway is and has been brilliant. He has done very well in Munster and injuries have curtailed his career.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And as big a fan of Felix Jones as I was, would he have gotten ahead of Rob Kearney had he stayed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Conway and Carbery are very different horses. Going to Munster absolutely didn't wreck Conway's career, he's done very well there and more power to him and Munster for it.

Carbery ... far less so.

We'll never know how things would have turned out for Carbery if he'd stayed. But going has absolutely turned out to be a failure for him, unfortunately (and I'm not blaming Munster for this, in case that wasn't clear).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Conway did....fine with his move to Munster. I wouldn't call it a massive selling point but its hardly a cautionary tale either.

Had Carbery stayed he would have been moved permanently to 15 which is apparently not what he wanted. Also would have meant Keenan would not have come through when he did. I'm not that upset about it from a Leinster or Irish perspective but its hard on the guy himself obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Conway, Jones and Carbery all got years of being first choice in a team that was usually at the business end of Europe. None of them would have had that if they'd stayed put.

Carbery might have had better coaching at Leinster but he'd have had a fraction of the game time and he'd still have had all the injuries. Really don't think it would have turned out any different for him

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RidleyJones

Do we need to refer to the Rassie video? :-) I think you will find that the carry on of Rassie is an excellent example of Bok fans.....

SA Rugby Magazine have posted Jaek White is the GOAT because of the Leinster win :-)

Post edited by RidleyJones on

Conway has played very little for Ireland, maybe he would have got more caps but he always seemed to be injured at the wrong time but for a player who was the star of underage rugby and the next big thing his return of caps at international level is poor.

The number of players leaving Leinster and becoming a success is limited, I wouldn't put Conway into the success bracket to be honest but I wouldn't put him into a failure one either.

• Advertisement

I feel Deegan might end up like Ruddock, a stalwart for Leinster, just out of the Ireland squad unless injuries but a players who holds the club together while the internationals are away.

Not sure what he would have to gain from another province unless it is money, he is still playing a large number of games and the backrow options available won't change for Ireland even if he leaves Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure this is that true for Carbery, he was getting plenty of game time at Leinster. But Ireland thought the game time was in the wrong position

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Carberry thought the game time was in the wrong position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭PMC83

I tried to buy a season ticket this morning (went on sale at 10) but currently says no more events left, is that me goosed or will there be another window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster vs Sharks confirmed at the Aviva on Saturday 6th of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

General sale is this Friday I believe for season tickets; I don't think that they were on sale today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's lads leaving Leinster because they are down the pecking order. Good examples recently would be Oisin Dowling and Josh Murphy. They are getting minutes out west that maybe they would not have gotten at Leinster. They want a chance to play more and fair play to them. Some players are content to bide their time at Leinster waiting for opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

I got the Wednesday 26th from the renewal email they sent last month. Mixed messaging, you'd have to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Only got to watching the game this morning. Good lord that was an absolute pasting but about par the course for what the gulf in class of the teams were.

There were some positives to take which is what I like to focus on.

But I'll start with saying that I think Craig Evans probably made the scoreline 20 points or so further in the favour of the Bulls. No way in hell he influenced the result but he was very laissez-faire with certain elements and irritatingly nit pickey on others. The Bulls can feel relieved at certain calls or non calls. But we could have had any ref out there and the scoreline would have been extremely one sided still.

If you showed me the stats without the scoreline, I'd be able to predict it fairly well I reckon. 821m gained for the bulls, 242 passes and only 64 tackles paints the picture of a team that dominated. Leinster having to make 190 tackles not counting the 30 odd missed is just crazy numbers. 70:30 possession in favour of the Bulls.

So not for lack of trying, but we just dominated by a much more physical, better organised team. Interesting our starting pack was heavier than the Bulls. Goes to show that power =/= mass in every case.

It really went to pot when we lost Brownlee, Cograve and TOB in extremely quick succession. All discernible shape in the midfield was just lost. And it rained tries. But on the positive side we shored it up and kept them scoreless in the last 20.

I loved Mikey Milnes cameo though. On. Linebreak. Try. Goes off. Refuses to elaborate. Really went up in stock in my eyes this tour.

Brownlee and Turner have the makings of a decent centre partnership. Brownlee at 20 years old did quite well in a punishing position against some seasoned pros. But I saw flashes of leadership about Turner that we desperately needed. He's become and important squad player for us and continues to build on his role. A very endearing player.

Real pity to see TOB getting injured. Will keenly be looking out for the injury update today. Hopefully not a bad one. I don't think he's a winger however. I think he will play his best rugby in the centre. But he had some nice cameos on the day.

I was really impressed with Will Connors. Was one of extremely few players who looked to match the physicality and succeeded. His tackling prowess is well documented but my god he's a super player.

I liked the edge that Soroka brings. But it was probably a step too far to ask him to play the enforcer type second row role of him. Probably not where his greatest strengths lie.

Prendergast had a game that obviously wont grab the plaudits that last week did. But I do think he's at least comfortable at this level which is great to see. A huge array of skills and I see literally zero reason why he wont be playing in the RWC. Playing him offers Ireland a luxury of bringing 2 players in a different position as we clearly need only 1 10 with him in situ.

Tadgh McElroy I think can consider himself above Lee Barron now also. Barron has one year left in the academy but I have my doubts he's going to make it at this level.

I gotta say I was disappointed with our supposed leaders too. Byrne, Deegan, McCarthy and Kearney really needed to step up and be more visible and impactful. Can't say I saw it enough.

I'm unfortunately going to single McCarthy out in particular. At 28 he's an experienced 9 with the guts of 100 pro appearances to his name. He's got to be taking on more. He's in a pivotal position with inexperience all around him. I have seen so little control, leadership or accountability from him time and again. Look at what Luke brings. He's played on teams of similar experience and controlled it. He's taken pressure off young half backs. Compare it to the likes of Blade and Casey too. Do you think they'd be so meek in the face of such a challenge? Where is he to keep the defence honest in the fringes? A maddening player to watch sometimes. Keep in mind Nick captained the U20s too. Leadership doesn't sit on some peoples shoulders. But at some point in Nicks career it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Baird and VDF will hopefully be available for this weekends game. Ngatai and Cormac Foley are back in training but will take a few weeks for full fitness. Looks like Lowe won't be available. Still down as no further update.

"Ryan Baird will step up his rehabilitation this week as he recovers from a shoulder injury and a final decision will be made on his availability later in the week.

Josh van der Flier will step up his rehabilitation this week as he recovers from an ankle injury and a final decision will be made on his availability later in the week."

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leo-cullen-issues-injury-update-ahead-of-champions-cup-semi-final/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Was Larmour injured or ill for the Leicester game?

I presume he comes in for Lowe with Jimmy switching wings.

Apart from that I suppose it all depends on if vdf and or Baird are fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Liking the place has absolutely nothing to do with my original point.

It isn't a strong selling point to a young potential star player to say 'come down to Munster - you might like the place'.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

"I think he will play his best rugby in the centre."

Do you see TOB as an inside or outside centre? I wonder if he has the size to play inside centre with some of the monsters in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Absolute strawmen here - no one said it was 'a failure' or it 'wrecked their career'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Lowe ruled out of Toulouse clash while VDF and Baird remain doubts https://the42.ie/6051712

Assuming none of those who are in the injury update are available we're likely looking at

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong

Ryan, Jenkins

Doris, Conan, Penny

JGP, Ross

Henshaw, Ringrose,

JOB, Keenan, Larmour

McKee, Healy, Ala'alatoa, Molony, Connors, Luke, Harry, Frawley

Still an excellent team. But I'd for sure feel better if Lowe and Josh were in it

• Advertisement

Also that injury update just goes to show how right Leo got it in picking the babies to go to South Africa with a looming knock out game in Europe coming.

A poster on LF pointed out how we made 12 substitutions. That's an insane stat.

As it stands we lost 3 props, 1 back row and 1 outside back. And that doesn't factor in the injuries to academy lads who weren't included in the update

Given the attrition rate it was justified to wrap the first team in cotton wool

Advertisement