Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dr Mick Loftus has died.

Former GAA President, All Ireland final referee, grand uncle ( I think) of Connor Loftus, and the last remaining member of the 1951 panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭MacDanger

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

RIP. The finish line for a truly legendary team and panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

RIP to Dr Loftus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

God bless Dr Loftus. A real good man that happened to be a hardcore Mayo man on the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

RIP to him and condolences to his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

R.I.P. Dr Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Where would Mayo fans point me in best parking spots around McHale park on match day. Haven't been to McHale park in a few years and not driven to it so planning ahead for connacht final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Your best best would be parking in Kiltimagh and just hopping on the monorail to Castlebar 😉

I normally park around the Moneen Road area...just make sure you leave the car pointed homewards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The new bypass will be open so lots of different ways to get on it now for the way home. Usually park in the castle street car park myself and it's a short walk up. You can head back out to the ballinrobe road and back on to the new dual carriageway at that junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Hope mayo fans come out and watch the two best teams in Connacht do battle..will be a great occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

surely your not mistaking galway for one of the top 2 in Connaught. as I recall it, about 4 weeks ago galway got one of their multiple annual doses of reality, and shane walsh hasn't been kicking right since. ....

In a recent article he said he would "give anything" to get sam. unfortunately for galwaigens, it doesn't extend to selecting a kicking foot. but in his defense, sticking with one foot for him, is probably like sticking with one keeper for PJ. Enjoy your day in the sun. i hope ye win, and spend some money in civilisation. once ye get to croke parke, well your destiny is already laid out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It depends what side you're coming from tbh. But in general, if you're going to be there early, and are ready to make a quick exit, then you can get parking fairly close.

Emphasis on the quick exit though. If you're one of the first out the gate it could be the saving of 30-40 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Even last year after holding back in Castlebar for an hour or so after the match to let match go we were still the guts of an hour before we even got to the outskirts of Ballinrobe from Castlebar town. Might be a smaller crowd with no Mayo in the final but I'd still say be braced for a lot traffic post-match unless you leave well before final whistle. Breaffy Road is much of a muchness unfortunately but I dunno will the new roads lighten traffic there.

Parking-wise try and park as close to Kog Logistics facing back towards Ballinrobe if you're travelling back to Galway. A small walk but you won't be waiting ages to get out of the estate with the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Assuming all of the favourites win their provincials, I'd say the bext draw we could get today is:

Dublin/Sligo/Westmeath

While the worst draw we could get is

Kerry/Armagh/Donegal

I'd probably have Kildare and Cork as being a less favourable draw than Donegal. Donegal would appear to be in a bad spot at the moment, some key players injured during the league and they haven't really overcome the loss of Murphy. Hard to know if they can overcome that and a change of managers during the league.

Cork are one of those teams that can beat anyone on their day but have been too inconsistent to build on their abilities hence whey they've remained in Division 2.

Kildare as we have seen this year and last can be good enough for 60 minutes but sadly for them they don't appear to have the stamina for a full 75-80 minute game. If they can overcome that, they'll be a lot more of a threat.

And there is no offense intended to anyone from those counties, that's just how I see it.

So it's Kerry, Louth (assuming they don't beat Dublin) and Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Kerry Louth ourselves and Cork by the looks of it and barring any major shocks.

• Advertisement

20/21st May

Kerry/Clare v Mayo

27/28 May

Louth/Dublin v Cork

03/04th June

Mayo v Louth/Dublin

Cork v Kerry/Clare

17/18th June (neutral venues)

Kerry/Clare v Louth/Dublin (maybe Portlaoise? Or Croker if it's the Dubs)

Mayo v Cork (Salthill or Ennis?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I would expect all those neutral games will be in Croke Park, like the Super 8s

Not really

There was a lot of negative talk during the Super 8 about neutral games being in Croke Park and I even think that Croke Park was explicitly named in that setup i.e. One home, one away, one Croke Park.

Whereas here the terminology is very much "neutral venue"

Would be a mistake to brng games like Mayo v Cork (Ennis), Monaghan v Donegal (Breffni/Omagh), Derry/Armagh v Clare (Castlebar/Hyde), Galway v Derry/Armagh (Hyde/Breffni) to a half empty Croker IMO when there are plenty of suitable provincial venues to host them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Mental if they bring any of these neutral games to Croke park. Im assuming our game V Kerry will be on the Sunday? as Killarney doesnt have lights or might it be Saturday afternoon? Checked hotels for the Sat night minute draw was done, nothing even half reasonable to be had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Could have Mayo V Cork and Kerry v Louth as a double header in Limerick.

On the rest of the groups:

Galway v Derry / Armagh and Tyrone v Westmeath in Clones

Dublin v Sligo - Portlaois and Ros v Kildare in Tullamore

Derry/ Armagh v Clare - Hyde, Monaghan v Donegal - Breffni

Wouldn't be unlike the GAA to repeat mistakes of the past. Unfortunately they are not concerned for any economy outside of the M50. If we need an example, the qualifier games we had against Westmeath in 16, and last year against Kildare (the other game being Roscommon and Clare that day) were games that ideally should have been played at a provincial venue to lift a local economy. The latter was played the same day as Ireland played Scotland in the Aviva and the attendance was fairly paltry, as I recall only around 22K. If ever there was a good reason to bring games to provincial venues, that was it.

Instead, the lads who sell burgers and pints in Croke park are given the priority there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

It started out as a neutral venue and then when the draw was made, it was suddenly Croke Park. I mean, I hope I'm wrong but unfortunately this is the usual approach from the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm pretty sure the neutral venue games will ne provincial grounds.During the super 8s for example it never mentioned neutral grounds,it mentioned Croke Park specifically. I'd take that as a small sign that sense will prevail.

Are the preliminary QFs fixed for Croke Park? I assume they are,this means there's no real difference between finishing 2nd or 3rd in your group.In fact in some cases depending who finishes where in other groups it might be advantageous to finish 3rd rather than 2nd.Thats if I have any of the above correct!

I think 2nd place teams get home advantage in the quarter final preliminary.

• Advertisement

Thats definitely the case or is now anyway, wouldn't put it past them to change it.

Interesting if that's the case.

This means that all games as i understand it (not involving dublin) will be played outside Croker right up to QF stage.I think this is progress and certainly better than the super 8 nonsense and also the likes of the Mayo Kildare debacle last year.

Well home advantage is a reward for coming second rather than third in the group,bso I'd say it's the way it will stay.

Ya id say so. But can you imagine the frustration of the moneymen in Croker if Dublin somehow finished third and were drawn away to Mayo if we finished second. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

back fired from them to play Mayo v Kildare and Roscommon v Clare in Croke Park last year then again HQ don't do common sense and they'll likely have a few of those neutral games in Croke Park and perhaps two if not three of Dublin's games played there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Draw ok for Mayo.

Nothing stopping them going down to kerry and giving them a bloody nose, but we will need a large gathering of fans at Killarney to get behind the team, but due to the governments immigration policy of filling all the hotels nationwide this seems unlikely.

Prices will be crude , and all small businesses will be affected who usually make a small fortune during this time of the season.

Seems like there are some sort of issues with the new pitch:

MacHale Park to close to County Finals? - Mayo Live (mayonews.ie)

Great though that the county QF & SFs won't be played there, they're much better in smaller venues

Does anyone ever get held accountable for things like the pitch! 300,000 spent on it only recently and it's now another major project, crazy really.

Mayo GAA on the lookout for two roles, Head of Finance and a Business Development Manager... I don't know which role would be the least secure 😂

https://twitter.com/MayoGAA/status/1653678281831628800?s=20

• Advertisement

You'd expect that the contractor would be swallowing a large portion of the cost of this extra work but maybe not

I was one of the people who forked out for a tile and would like a bit more of an explanation from Touhy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Totally. They must have made a right mess of doing the pitch if it is tearing up..... Kilmaine are doing a big project to extend the GAA/Community grounds and could easly do with that cash.

Good bless your optimism. I would be very surprised if the contractor is footing any cost.

If my reading of the article is correct, the previous work was mainly to do with the surface... And they've now discovered a drainage issue.

The quotes from Touhy aren't incouraging.

"We have agreed a programme of work with Colman Warde and we’re getting costings of that at the moment for the main pitch,” explained the chairman.

“It will cost a considerable amount of money."

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KerryM9

Are the fixture details for the round robin games being announced tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Only if the fault of the issue is actually with the contractor, then it all depends on if the effort was put into the actual contract with the contractor in the first place!

• Advertisement

Yeah, if the problem wasn't within scope of the previous work, then the contractor couldn't be on the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

This article from 2021 says that drainage works were in scope for the project.

Surely it's up to the contractor to make sure any drainage work is up to standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

This cannot be allowed to slide into the abyss otherwise all the clubs around the county will end up footing the bill.

This lies solely at the contractors door, and a independent public inquiry needs to happen as to where and how the money was spent.

300k is an eye watering amount of money given the separate stadium debt that still looms over the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Maybe we need to cut Maurice Sheridan a bit of slack?

• Advertisement
Advertisement