Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question to mechanic: cost for new headlight replacement

• 22-04-2023 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I wonder if absolutely everything about car, costs a fortune or it's my local car garages are way too deer.

I know very little about the car parts, so I just thought of asking here in forum for more knowledgeable guys. (Asking for a peace of mind more than anything).

Garage location is in midlands.

Car is Volkswagen passat, 2011.

Work:

1 new head light (cost of headlight + fitting) - just to clarify, not changing a bulb but whole headlight.

Change 5 bulbs. ( 2 H7, 1 parking light, 1 breake, 1 indicator).

Repair bumper fitting.

Please let me know approximate costs it would beeen on your local garage.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Honestly......replacing the headlight and bulbs is very very easy.

You can guy the headlight & bulbs from MicksGarage and the bulbs. Just make sure that the bulbs will match those on the other side.

I would go to a mechanic on the bumper though.

Try a breakers yard as well....you might be able to source the bumper and headlight cheaper still.

I just got my car through the NCT. It had failed on the front disks and brakes. I went somewhere local and picked up what I needed and fitted them myself. I bought them less than what I would have been charged online (same brand)....save myself a good few euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Repair bumper fitting is very vague and may be a 1 minute or a 5 hour job. It may require new parts, fabricating new parts or repair filling, sanding, spraying.

Replacing the headlight also may vary. When old light broke was an metal around the light damaged or bent? Was any mating plastic parts not part of the headlight broken? Often headlights clip into nearby indicators and often they too are damaged. Headlights aldo need to be adjusted to not blind people. Some need resetting in software after replacement.

Where are they sourcing the head light from, main dealers can charge 200 euro plus for head light alone and headlight is still expensive from scrap yard if you can find the right one. Headlights can vary year to year and there may be versions without adjustable beam and similar light without it.

Personally I would try do the basics myself, try source a replacement headlight by driving to scrapyard after ringing ahead and haggling on price. Some scrap yards may fit the light as part of the deal.

In terms of your question my guess would be 600 euro quote from local garage, and if you did everything yourself with used parts you may get away for 300 euro.

You can always get a second quote if unsure. Many garages are crazy busy and can charge what they like as demand is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is all DIY, quick look on donedeal and adverts, headlight €20, 5 X bulbs €20. If you don't want to go at the bumper pull into a crash repair, maybe cost €50. Total €90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It all depends on the car's design to be honest.

I recently had to replace the fog night on my 2008 Mazda 6, should be a simple job right? Wrong!

The Mazda repair manual says you need to remove the entire front bumper to get the the inner screw pointing towards the centre of the car.

I happened to have a micro ratchet and managed to get the screw out (barely)

Sometimes these type of Jobs can be huge, sometimes they're easy. Like I've to replace the fuel filter on the car now, you think that'd be simple enough right? Wrong again, battery and possibly battery tray has to come out to access the fuel filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

Where are you getting a headlight for 20 euro 😂 even second hand from a cheap seller it will be 100+

• Advertisement

A few years ago now as I've changed car since, but I had to replace a complete headlight unit on my last car (citroen c3) as Halfords broke the beam adjustment and it cost me €300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

I asked for a price today on the Suzuki Ignis forum

Looking for advice on changing a LED headlight

Looked up manual - v vague

So on the forum to my horror

Cost before someone taking bumper/ grill off- up to e700 a side.

I nearly got sick.

E bay second hand 250 plus .

Turns out the LED is a sealed unit and u have to buy a whole unit.

It's barmy,I'm sincerely hoping the experts on the forum are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maximuslight

Thank you all for your answers, you are very helpful.

Thank you for the a answer, it come up as €400. That was sick, but somehow between your estimates, so maybe justified price.

Unfortunately, I am not very good at DIY cars except really, really basics. (I know I could do bulbs, but it was more fix headlight and mechanic told need to also change few other bulbs so went with the flow).

Very close to my bill, it ended up €400.

Thank you for sharing the information relative to your car, yeah the prices are so deer for something small that I am shocked.. maybe hourly rate of a garage (that no one will disclose) gone up and finding mechanics to do job as a side hustle is the way to go.

I'm in shock at the bloody prices,but like the dentist can't be avoided

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mazda's eh.

My wife used to drive a Mégane.

In order to change a bulb the manufacturers booklet recommended removing the wheel !!

I eventually figured out that I could turn them wheel to it's extreme to get access to the headlamp.

Post edited by sydthebeat on

Advertisement